February 9th GBH Poker Challenge

Me and a friend are attending this event. Wondering if anyone else from the forum will be going to this tourney?

Depending on how this event goes I may register for another event or 2. My bankroll does not allow me to play in the larger events, so just Poker Challenge events for me.

Comments

• I am on the waiting list for this event in the 20 position.
  • Yes I am in on this one.
  • Well I played yesterday, busted out late in the 2nd hour to a mistake I made, shortly after I got moved to a new table. The tournament was alot of fun but I did have one complaint. I found that the blinds increased very quickly. They were doubling every 20 minutes, but remained the same blinds after the break. The problem I found was with the 11 players at a table, and the dealer counting down and washing the deck after every hand we often did not get in even a full rotation during a round of blinds. Esspecially if there was a big hand or lots of thinking or counting chips.

But overall a well run tourney and tons of fun.
  • The dealer shouldn't be counting down the deck after every hand... if this happens when I go next month I'll probably say something. You've got me worried--hopefully the blind structure/dealer speed isn't as much of a problem for the 'double pot' tournaments.
  • Where can we find the blind structure for the events, cause if i go to this CPT event i want to know it's a resonable blind strcture ... cause for me this will be my biggest investment ever into a tourny and i'll want to feel comfortable with the structure, or i'll pass on it
  • all_aces wrote:
    The dealer shouldn't be counting down the deck after every hand... if this happens when I go next month I'll probably say something. You've got me worried--hopefully the blind structure/dealer speed isn't as much of a problem for the 'double pot' tournaments.

AA - this is the structure of their tounaments. Wash and count after every deal. I personally don't like it but I found yesterday that we were getting at least one full rotation each blind increase.

I was sitting in seat 11 and did notice the blinds were changing every time it went by.

Rob M.
  • I hate to toot my own horn but......................TOOT TOOT!!! :biggrin:

Since I didn't recognize anyone from poker forum there yesterday(Lee was there), I will have to let everyone know that I finnished third at this tournament yesterday.

It was a good day, and I believe I have just played the best poker I have ever played. Oh and BTW, the money was good too.

Rob M.
  • Congrats Rob.

Now do the same next month so I can get $100 from Gamblor.

I have a feeling I'm in for a crapshoot. Oh well, if it sucks I'll just never go back...
  • Way to go Rob! Glad to hear you made another top 3 finish. I wish I could have been there to cheer you on.

NOw for the structure.
    IF the structure hasnt changed since the december tourney it is actually very similar to the Woodbricge and Markham events many forum members have attended.

20 min levels
    break every hour
    The blinds dont increase after each break ( this is a good thing)
    So basically the blinds increase only 2 times every hour after the first break

25-50
    50-100
    100-200
    break
    100-200
    200-400
    300-600
    break
    300-600
    400-800
    500-1000
    break
    500-1000
    1000-2000
    1500-3000 (another good thing since most local tournaments would jump to 2000-4000 here)
    Break
    1500-3000
    NOt sure about the rest since the on the Great Blue Heron Pamplet I have dosnt show any more blinds.

Overall a fair structure. I have played in alot worse structures than this.

The Bad-

The final table changes to 15min levels. THis I do not understand. Why would you change the levels at the final table? Players work hard all day and when they finally get to the money everyone watching and organizing the tournament wants it over in less than an hour. This happens at Woodbridge and Markham as well. The structure is great for the first 3 hours and then when the big money is on the line the tournament turns into a crap shoot. Give us a couple of extra levels of play. Or cap the blinds at 3000-6000. It might mean an extra hour of play but thats not alot to ask for. THere is usually only 500 000 chips in play so the avg stack at the final table is 50 000. With the blinds at 5000- 10 000 and 15mins untill they go up to 10 000-20 000 there is very little play in these final tables.

Let the players decide the winner not the blinds.
  • Thanks Mark,

That doesn't sound too bad. I like that they repeat levels every hour. I'm just worried about the speed (or lack of it) at the tables themselves. I can't understand why we have to watch the dealers count down the deck after every hand--this seems like an overly time-consuming precaution to me. Every five or six hands would be fine, IMO.

Also, the fact that they shorten the levels at the final table is, in a word, bizarre.
  • Dick Hertz wrote:
    With the blinds at 5000- 10 000 and 15mins untill they go up to 10 000-20 000 there is very little play in these final tables. QUOTE]

Just an adder the blinds cap off at 20,000 / 40,000, and yes at that point it is a crapshoot. If you don't catch a good hand you will not win. I got caught with Marks favorite hand, 10/10 and lost when I needed to steal.

Rob M.
  • Congrats on the good result Dead Money.

The blind increases themselves may not have been the problem, the count down and wash after every hand took a while, and made it seem fairly slow. Since Dead Money says they were getting in 1 rotation I may have just been at a slower table.
  • all_aces wrote:
    Thanks Mark,

That doesn't sound too bad. I like that they repeat levels every hour. I'm just worried about the speed (or lack of it) at the tables themselves. I can't understand why we have to watch the dealers count down the deck after every hand--this seems like an overly time-consuming precaution to me. Every five or six hands would be fine, IMO.

Also, the fact that they shorten the levels at the final table is, in a word, bizarre.

Some of the dealers will do their best to limit the # of washes. They are told to do a quick 5 sec wash and count the stub after every hand but most of the dealers bend the rules as much as possible to limit the time wasted. However if you draw a table with a new or inexperienced dealer you could be pulling your hair out by the next shift change.........and no thats not what happend to my hair....lol
  • Congratulations Ron, you played an excellent Tournament, you picked your spots very well and aside from the time "he called too quickly" it was an almost flawless performance. Well done!

Winner's share was $10,444.95 and a freeroll into The Tournament of Champions in December.

Just in passing, the April Poker Challenge is now more than ½ full and will probably sell out by early March.
  • Dead Money wrote:
    I hate to toot my own horn but......................TOOT TOOT!!! :biggrin:

Since I didn't recognize anyone from poker forum there yesterday(Lee was there), I will have to let everyone know that I finnished third at this tournament yesterday.

It was a good day, and I believe I have just played the best poker I have ever played. Oh and BTW, the money was good too.

Rob M.

Congratz ROB!

I was not present at the event - had to work :( - but my buddy Shawn came 1st and my bud Peter came 4th! Incredible tournament...

These are the guys that I play on a constant basis with - I remember I invited you to one of our weekly events in Oshawa. Ironically we jokingly started a "crew" since we play so much together and the name is: The Port Perry Dead Money Crew so there were 3 Deadmoney on the final table! :)

Congratz once again..
  • Sorry for the typo on your name Rob <BLUSH>

Cheers,

Lee