Warning to All members!

This thread is served to make public awereness of what you might get into when you play in one of those clubs hosting REGULAR poker games. I am extremely worried about the legistical aspect of this game as many of the organizors/ club owners post highly attractive threads with details of the poker games, which might serve as an opportunity for the law enforcements to lurch in and make a bust.

As I love to play poker games with my friends or even online, these home game threads seem very intriguing to me. However, I advise all the members who are interested in playing in one of these club-organized games with a stake so high, to be careful!!!.. Because this is precisely something you might get in trouble for. I hope I have not ruined the fun of poker and I do not intend to prevent members to join the club games. Just be careful!!

Here is a link I found with regards to what you might get into when you play poker here in Ont.: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/42271.html

Pokerman
The Only & Only

Comments

• If you read the link you provided carefully, you'd understand why the good majority of home games *are* completely legal.

Viva la poker!
  • To be honest, I'm waiting for a crackdown on some of the clubs. I hope it doesn't happen, but there are too many big games that are being advertised a little too publicly for them to turn a blind eye indefinitely. I could see them singling out one event and busting it so they can scare people. I actually have never been to a game that would fit into the gaming house definition, but I still would attend though... maybe I'm just a die hard that way.

I notice some bars are having games either affiliated through the bars (i.e. a free prize pool for players) or alternatively where they are letting a game be held there for the increased bar traffic. Either way, I think these are the games most likely to be busted, because they are indirectly profitting from the games and the enforcement of liquor laws is always tougher in the GTA than the enforcement of morality based criminal offences.

On that note, I'm going to one of those bar held freerolls next week... not saying where though LOL.
  • I've made a few minor updates to the Advertising FAQ.

This update to that FAQ is probably relevant to this thread:

[From the "allowed in all parts of the forum" part of the FAQ, though these sorts of posts are best put in the "Home Games" section.]
    1. Advertising home poker games or tournaments (at the organizers' and/or posters' own risk). Do not post specific details of any poker event unless you are the organizer of the event yourself, or you have the organizer's consent to do so.

Please keep in mind that it is up to the organizer how much or how little detail he/she wishes to provide about a poker event on a public internet forum.

ScottyZ