Options

AQ debate part 500: vs TAG reg......

Villain is a tag reg....running about 14/12 60%+ cbet.....all that.....

Hes a winning reg but meaning hes just winning not a 'very good reg' in my notes....so I have room to mess with him in general....

i can prob just barely get it in pre...actually vs his range im prob a dog. hes gonna show up with TT+ AQ+ and the odd time hands like 99 AJs KQs which he folds a to a shove....but honestly he really only has a value range here that he calls prob nearly 95%+ of the time.....

So I wonder if flatting and never folding and looking for any fold equity we can find is going to be better.....

Poker Stars, $7.34 + $0.66 NL Hold'em Tournament, 75/150 Blinds, 9 Players

SB: 1,651
BB: 1,050
UTG: 3,275
UTG+1: 2,060
UTG+2: 1,595
MP1: 2,555
JodaB. (MP2): 2,329
CO: 906
BTN: 1,285

Pre-Flop: (225) Qdiamondnormal.gif Aclubnormal.gif dealt to JodaB. (MP2)
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to 450, 2 folds, JodaB. calls 450, 4 folds

Flop: (1,125) 7clubnormal.gif Tclubnormal.gif Kheartnormal.gif (2 Players)
UTG+1 bets 555, JodaB. raises to 1,879 and is All-In

Comments

• I don't like this at all, if this guy's a reg there's no way he's folding after his cbet and obv I understand what you're saying but with these stacks, flatting here is just bad, imo it's still just a shove or fold pre.
  • He just put in half his stack after c-betting the flop, he is never folding to your shove. Unless you have specific notes. You have 15BBs, just get it in preflop.
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    I don't like this at all, if this guy's a reg there's no way he's folding after his cbet and obv I understand what you're saying but with these stacks, flatting here is just bad, imo it's still just a shove or fold pre.
    i guess it depends on his post flop tendencies...but if we do this on the flop its not really all that different than shoving pre....

but here on this flop i think most regs thinks they won't fold here but I know that if he has aq here he will fold....maybe tt jj etc will fold as well. It incorrect for them to do it kinda but i think i can catch them in their cbetting tracks before they realize I flatted short pre and re raised a k high flop to there tag reg image....
  • Not buying it, no half decent player folds anything you don't alreaday have beat

Edit: either way your FE is way better pre. also if he's tight, it's an easy fold pre vs a 3x
  • Meh, IMO shove or fold pre.

As played, with the Ac, this could be a shove. But we are likely to have 0 fold equity as villain is getting 3 or 4-1 to call here and probably isn't like to fold TP, jj or any ten here if they are half decent or thinking.....but vs A10, jj or 99 we still have a fair number of outs. It is high variance, and I am sure there are times we will be called and be ahead of hands like AJ.

Unless villain has a hand like 1010 or 99, I am fine with this. Villain may even call with AJ or AQ here....
  • IMO Shove or shove pre. We have 15BB, the only way it's not +EV is if he's opening 5% or something, which only the tightest players on the fact of the internet do, and most people aren't that disciplined. I can't remember the last time I folded AQ to an open when I was <20BB.

As played definitely shove flop, he only needs to fold 20% of the time, even if he only folds worse hands he probably has worse >20% of the time, and if he calls worse hands then it just makes our situation better.

Darb - in general don't flat >10% of your stack often at all. If he's too tight to shove on with 15BB he's going to be too tight to flat against too. If you only think he's opening AQ/TT+ then why are we flatting AQ? Sklansky would be pissed. If he's opening wider than that, it'll be +EV to jam. You flatted almost 20% of your stack in this spot. Never flat 20% of your stack (there might be spots to do it, but considering the spot you chose this hand, consider it a rule for the time being).
  • Maybe I'm misreading this, but if anyone with 1010 folds on that flop, they're braindead.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    IMO Shove or shove pre. We have 15BB, the only way it's not +EV is if he's opening 5% or something, which only the tightest players on the fact of the internet do, and most people aren't that disciplined. I can't remember the last time I folded AQ to an open when I was <20BB.

As played definitely shove flop, he only needs to fold 20% of the time, even if he only folds worse hands he probably has worse >20% of the time, and if he calls worse hands then it just makes our situation better.

Darb - in general don't flat >10% of your stack often at all. If he's too tight to shove on with 15BB he's going to be too tight to flat against too. If you only think he's opening AQ/TT+ then why are we flatting AQ? Sklansky would be pissed. If he's opening wider than that, it'll be +EV to jam. You flatted almost 20% of your stack in this spot. Never flat 20% of your stack (there might be spots to do it, but considering the spot you chose this hand, consider it a rule for the time being).
    Just making sure we understand im getting it in post flop regardless of the board though. Im just thinking tag reg vs tag reg, no one gains when he calls with his entire range and we each shove value hands at each other...

so where he will never fold pre he may once in a while, because of my awkward flat, end up bet folding on a board that we missed....

even though in general he should know better....im thinking its possible for him to cbet fold on a kxx board....thinking hes never good and i always have ak kk aa

edit: and no i don't really ever flat like this....just was experimenting with a thought.....
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Maybe I'm misreading this, but if anyone with 1010 folds on that flop, they're braindead.
    no no of course no...i don't mean sets just under pairs...and he prob doesn't cbet sets as much
  • darbday wrote: »
    Just making sure we understand im getting it in post flop regardless of the board though. Im just thinking tag reg vs tag reg, no one gains when he calls with his entire range and we each shove value hands at each other...

You do gain if he calls with his entire range because it will contain worse hands... Obviously you gain by shoving value hands darb. Flatting to shove any flop is FPS. You shouldn't ACTUALLY be shoving any flop, and you're going to end up making mistakes by shoving ones you should and not shoving ones you should. You have to be very good to be able to do this kind of play. You need to know his range, know roughly how much equity you have vs. it on every flop, and shove every time you have >x% equity and fold when you don't. I'm assuming you don't know this, I sure don't.
    so where he will never fold pre he may once in a while, because of my awkward flat, end up bet folding on a board that we missed....

Either his range is loose enough that he'll fold enough to call worse pre, or it's tight enough that you're not going to show a profit shoving flops because he's going to have it too much. I see what you're getting at, and there may be situations in which flatting and shoving pre show a profit, but flatting is slightly more. You need to do a ton of math to figure out where those situations are, though. I don't think many situations exist with short-stacks that shoving doesn't show a profit but flatting does though.
    even though in general he should know better....im thinking its possible for him to cbet fold on a kxx board....thinking hes never good and i always have ak kk aa

I think it's a bit optimistic to think you have much fold equity, or he's going to put you on monsters when you flat. IF you could be confident enough that this was the case, AQo is probably not one of the hands you want to be flatting anyways, something that flops more equity vs. his value range that he will never fold out is what you would want to be flatting.
  • Too much thinking ITT.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    You do gain if he calls with his entire range because it will contain worse hands... Obviously you gain by shoving value hands darb.
    I mean that we play 100 games a day together... so if we both play std. tag then no one is gaining vs. each other....
    Vekked wrote: »
    You have to be very good to be able to do this kind of play. You need to know his range, know roughly how much equity you have vs. it on every flop, and shove every time you have >x% equity and fold when you don't.
    I heard this most

thx.
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    I don't like this at all, if this guy's a reg there's no way he's folding after his cbet and obv I understand what you're saying but with these stacks, flatting here is just bad, imo it's ALWAYS a shove.

fyp
  • not buying that it's always a shove. You can pick up pretty good reads from betsizing at this level of play. It's only a shove if he opens A10 and KQ or something like this. Not sure about the math right now
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    not buying that it's always a shove. You can pick up pretty good reads from betsizing at this level of play. It's only a shove if he opens A10 and KQ or something like this. Not sure about the math right now

false!
  • false!

so sad :<

Edit: Seriously though, I don't think you're right this time, with antes the math would probably tip towards your blanket statement. Maybe even if it's suited, dunno. If I shove here I hate my life while doing it
  • That tends to be how I play poker: make any move and hate my life while doing it :|
    so sad :<

Edit: Seriously though, I don't think you're right this time, with antes the math would probably tip towards your blanket statement. Maybe even if it's suited, dunno. If I shove here I hate my life while doing it
    the math can be done with the nash calculator set to chipev .....if we first assume he always calls our jam then our jamming range should be the same as our calling range if he just open jammed.

we are assuming he never folds pre which i don't think he does....maybe he folds like less than 5%....

But i am very confident that aqo is the cutoff hand....maybe ajs too but not likely ajo....i think ajo is -ev because these type of regs are too tight, its one of there leaks or whatever...

so on paper i think its close to a fold or jam...but in reality with turbo blinds....uber tight overcallers behind us... our advantage with a deeper stack...errors in the math and the odds screw up hand from the villain its prob an easy jam.....

i just feel silly running my med monsters into nutted ranges....i still think its correct....

but i agree with V id have to go through the math...
    the math can be done with the nash calculator set to chipev .....if we first assume he always calls our jam then our jamming range should be the same as our calling range if he just open jammed.

we are assuming he never folds pre which i don't think he does....maybe he folds like less than 5%....

But i am very confident that aqo is the cutoff hand....maybe ajs too but not likely ajo....i think ajo is -ev because these type of regs are too tight, its one of there leaks or whatever...

so on paper i think its close to a fold or jam...but in reality with turbo blinds....uber tight overcallers behind us... our advantage with a deeper stack...errors in the math and the odds screw up hand from the villain its prob an easy jam.....

i just feel silly running my med monsters into nutted ranges....i still think its correct....

but i agree with V id have to go through the math...

Turbo or non...what does it matter? Is this the second or third time I have caught you implying there might be different strat for turbo vs. non...??

:err::baffled:
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Turbo or non...what does it matter? Is this the second or third time I have caught you implying there might be different strat for turbo vs. non...??

:err::baffled:
    the strategy is to play optimally that doesn't really change .....what changes are the opponents ranges...in turbo vs regular....what i always was saying to you is that mathematically it shouldn't change.....but if people feel they need to ship kjo pre first hand....then calling with aqo or such is correct....

mathematically being a turbo shouldn't change anything but it does because people freak out and think they have to accumulate chips rather than ev......

we call because its +ev not because its a turbo structure so and we need chips fast...

i do think a little differently about spots than before but what i was always referring to that you keep bringing up i still stand by.....we can use a calculator to decide if a shove is +ev or not....the blinds structure won't change this....it might affect the very bottom of our range by a hand or so here and there (when blinds are about to change etc.)....but we can't just take -ev shove constantly soley in the name of turbo.....

however i do it all day long in the name of yoda.batman

(<^^>)
  • i feel like your range for villian is way to tight. I feel like Ive gone back in time to 2004. Im shoving here and feeling awesome about it.
  • i feel like your range for villian is way to tight. I feel like Ive gone back in time to 2004. Im shoving here and feeling awesome about it.
    would it help if i suggest hes shoving the bottom of the range youre thinking of......
  • dont you mean top of the range im thinking of? and thats the part I disagree with. I can guarentee you dont have enough history with villian to assume the only hands your beating are ajs and 99 maybe 1010, thats absurd. Also, he is definatly not calling 95% of the time, that number has to be incorrect as well.
  • dont you mean top of the range im thinking of? and thats the part I disagree with.
    i think that....99 and stuff is at the bottom...
    I can guarantee you dont have enough history with villian to assume the only hands your beating are ajs and 99 maybe 1010, thats absurd.
    I agree full on....aqo is a shove here. I also think that I can fill out an accurate calling and shoving range on my opponent based on his roi...what i mean is...show me a 180 man grinders roi and I will pwn him all day....It won't be accurate for each person......but in general it will be close for most people.
    Also, he is definatly not calling 95% of the time, that number has to be incorrect as well.
    I feel like the last bunch of topics (a few posts i remember thinking this) I put up a profile for villain and posters have ignored the profile. I know this guy I have like 2-3k hands with him. I know his peers, I know the info he seeks out, I know what his instructors say, I know the vids he watches.

His not a big winning reg...he is just above 'break even reg'....he makes money but not much...he has a giant issue.....hes too tight....its a leak....

but here as well with 13 bbs....i don't think he has a raise fold range....and i think he never raise calls 99 or kqs etc.....he open shoves them....

And I'm not arguing more about the op.....V already showed I'm not strong enough with the math.....
    His not a big winning reg...he is just above 'break even reg'....he makes money but not much...he has a giant issue.....hes too tight....its a leak....

but here as well with 13 bbs....i don't think he has a raise fold range....and i think he never raise calls 99 or kqs etc.....he open shoves them....

Yeah, this is pretty significant, cos, I'd say, in the smaller buyin 180s and under, many regs will just 2-2.5x even with 10-15bbs with their premiums to try and induce action cos there's so many bad players who will flat/shove incorrectly and stuff, while they just openjam, like darb said, the rest of their range. And since you do have a pretty damn good read on this villain, if you're sure he is only raise-calling premiums, then this could be a trivial fold imo.
  • Seems like all in pre because it's going in either way. If you flat and aren't going to fold do you really think he is ever going to fold. I would just fold that flop after not getting it in preflop.
  • AQo is breakeven vs a 10% opening range. If he opens exactly 10% of hands and calls 100% our AQ shove will net 115 chips which is half of the blinds and antes and about 3% of the total pot, This is assuming no one ever calls behind
  • ILike2Play wrote: »
    Seems like all in pre because it's going in either way. If you flat and aren't going to fold do you really think he is ever going to fold. I would just fold that flop after not getting it in preflop.
    lol to all you who think you will cbet and call off JJ here ..... other than the top boys....if i catch you cbetting this with less than qq.....you're folding to my shove......its not a question.....the question is will I make more than just shoving pre.....
    AQo is breakeven vs a 10% opening range. If he opens exactly 10% of hands and calls 100% our AQ shove will net 115 chips which is half of the blinds and antes and about 2% of the total pot, This is assuming no one ever calls behind
    i think this upsets me but im not sure.
    i think this upsets me but im not sure.

I'm assuming he calls 100% cause regs generally don't open smaller than 20 BB stacks utg to fold to a reshove cause it's mathematically bad almost always