Opening sizes

Reading lots of strat here and seeing the 2.2-2.5x opens vs. 3x a lot more..but now just spent a good bunch of time watching Mike Leah's ft run and he takes it a step further..min raise opens through the whole tourney...

While playing a 4.40 today I open 2x every time except button which I open 3x just so it isn't quite so cheap for the bb.. I am finding a LOT of multiway pots this way..is it simply the cheap stakes with the callers or do others see this at the higher buyins? (I haven't done the min raising at any level other than this)

Comments

• usually you don't just take your normal range and clickraise it, I definitely adjust my range when going 2,2x
  • I'd want to open the same on the button if that were my standard raise so that I could play pots in position HU, no? I think being a better player and having position would make you more money in the long term since you would be seeing more flops vs getting more straight steals.

Also, I'm fairly certain no good pros alter their standard raises on the button.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Reading lots of strat here and seeing the 2.2-2.5x opens vs. 3x a lot more..but now just spent a good bunch of time watching Mike Leah's ft run and he takes it a step further..min raise opens through the whole tourney...
    now thats just stupidity....ask tyore....

DennisG wrote: »

While playing a 4.40 today I open 2x every time except button which I open 3x just so it isn't quite so cheap for the bb.
    your doin it wrong :p
    DennisG wrote: »
    I am finding a LOT of multiway pots this way..is it simply the cheap stakes with the callers or do others see this at the higher buyins? (I haven't done the min raising at any level other than this)
    its a little of both.....at it depends on who's left to act... but it can be done effectively at lower stakes...sometimes its better to just 5x your aces etc. obv. but the real idea is to widen your range to play small pots in position with weak players and lots of implied odds....

if your only playing premiums then a multiway pot is not a good idea...but if you play a hand like T8s or 33 or a4s....then youll be happy to be 4 way

you just can't stack off with top pair

and sometiemes you can stab at multiway pots profitabley...

the whole idea is people suck post flop but at first your gonna mess your self up by calling off with an over pair and running in to sets and two pair with your tourney life over a preflop min raise...:p
  • also 201 is usually better than 200 and stuff...
  • I have been opening my whole opening range this tourney 2x..again..with the exception of the button as I believe it was Wetts(could be wrong..but it was someone good..lol) that once said he liked to do that just to keep it from being great odds for the bb to come along.

My opening range is certainly not only premiums..I don't think I am having issues with my opening range, and yes, lots of times I am happy to be multiway..just it seems some (at least Mike Leah and a few others on TPE) are favoring the min raise open..maybe one needs a "pro" image for it to work..

that being said..I am still in this silly tourney..opening with 2x the whole way (again, with exception of button and that doesn't change with hand value)
  • Besides..I have Wettettes avatar..can't I do anything I want?
  • I guess I should reiterate a bit... Mike Leah opens with Minraise when he has the stack size to do so...when he needs to open jam he does..other times he does it (minraise) to induce..or just to open...again, with a decent stack size. (over 40bb)
  • I'd like to thank this thread.

I get it now... I know the why and the how come. And no, it's not what darb is thinking.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    And no, it's not what darb is thinking.

Mark
    no of course not...
  • darbday wrote: »
    no of course not...

Darb, listen...

This isn't because of our feud, but more because the ESTABLISHMENT has your mind thinking in their box, and you can't conceptualize of the paradigm and zeitgeist of which I am referring to.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Darb, listen...

This isn't because of our feud, but more because the ESTABLISHMENT has your mind thinking in their box, and you can't conceptualize of the paradigm and zeitgeist of which I am referring to.

Mark

hai!?
    174868_113181978766887_347281_n.jpg
  • WTF does that even mean?

Mark