How Would You Play This...

PokerStars Game #70569496430: Tournament #547010961, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXVI (1600/3200) - 2011/11/15 1:17:37 ET
Table '547010961 118' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: mrd99 (105213 in chips)
Seat 2: netorist (95678 in chips)
Seat 3: camila198 (191791 in chips)
Seat 4: MCflip73 (98128 in chips)
Seat 5: theblefe171 (88410 in chips)
Seat 6: Macflyy69 (18890 in chips)
Seat 7: dodo-chang (127739 in chips)
Seat 9: isazapoker08 (42431 in chips)
mrd99: posts the ante 400
netorist: posts the ante 400
camila198: posts the ante 400
MCflip73: posts the ante 400
theblefe171: posts the ante 400
Macflyy69: posts the ante 400
dodo-chang: posts the ante 400
isazapoker08: posts the ante 400
camila198: posts small blind 1600
MCflip73: posts big blind 3200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MCflip73 [Qh As]
theblefe171: folds
Macflyy69: folds
dodo-chang: folds
isazapoker08: folds
mrd99: raises 6400 to 9600
netorist: folds
camila198: folds
MCflip73: ???

position - mrd99 is at the CO
opponent's table image - loose agressive
our table image - tight agressive
initial reads - two paint, weak ace or low-mid pp

Call/Raise/Fold?!?!? Reasoning?!?!?

Will post results but looking for suggestions on every street. Thx.

Comments

• alot of good info ..you can flat or 3bet this pre...i think ..that either is fine...
  • I'm not a fan of flatting this since we can't stand heat on a 1055 board. I 3 bet to 26-27k looking to get it ing
  • With more chips I think I am flatting pre with your read on the opponent. No point in making weaker aces and stuff we are ahead of fold...that being said we are only 30 bigs deep...I like the 3 bet looking to get it in here.
  • Folding may seem weak/tight, but we are OOP with about 30bb's. If we flat pre, there will be 6-7bb's in the middle, giving us a SPR of about 4 to 1. Meaning any bet we call on the flop would commit us on the turn. Also, we could be dominated and hating life even if we hit.

Personally, I don't fold pre.

I 3bet to $20k. If villain 4bets/jams, I am not liking life and would lean toward folding then. We still have over $70k remaining and still have some play in there. If villain calls the 3bet, we play from there knowing that there is 40k in the pot, and 70k back...so we will be committed with any bet.

IMO, this is either a raise or fold. A lot of this depends on villains steal rate and VPIP/raise numbers. If they have a high steal rate, then I 3bet 100% of the time. because villain is loose aggressive from description, I think we have to 3bet here. I am not fond of getting allin pre here as we are rarely winning (I can't see villain jamming AJ or worse here unless they are brutal), but if we raise I think that is the likely result.
  • We have not been out of line this entire tourny as we have consistently won with top 5 hands at show down. I would only anticipate that any sign of strength from us will be viewed by the table as 'having the goods' in general.

My initial instinct here was to 3bet to abt 24k but there is that concern if villain decides to 4bet/jam, what is our move then?!?!? Tough Spot. Do we then fold seeing we could very well be dominated/crushed or call the all-in seeing the likelyhood that we are ahead of the villain's range might be good (i hope). Mucking the AQo never really crossed my mind but I am somewhat fascinated to see if folding should be considered here given the reads/scenario as well as being OOP with 30bb vs lag opponent.

Not certain if this was the right move but considering the field is down to less than 100 runners (out of 3300) with us sitting mid 30s in chip stack (avg being 110k), I decided to flat and re-evaluate the situation on the flop.

*** FLOP *** [Ac Qs Jd]

Hero is first to act. What's our move now?!?!?

Comments/Suggestions on the above. Thx in advance.

MC
  • MCflip73 wrote: »
    We have not been out of line this entire tourney as we have consistently won with top 5 hands at show down. I would only anticipate that any sign of strength from us will be viewed by the table as 'having the goods' in general.
    i do somewhat agree but i can say from great experience in the micros lately and from playing outrageously loose that these players will rarely and hardly adjust to a looser or tighter image....i still think you'll get credit but just saying its not really a factor here because even if you were loose they generally play the same....
    MCflip73 wrote: »
    My initial instinct here was to 3bet to abt 24k but there is that concern if villain decides to 4bet/jam, what is our move then?!?!? Tough Spot. Do we then fold seeing we could very well be dominated/crushed or call the all-in seeing the likelyhood that we are ahead of the villain's range might be good (i hope).
    Alot of people misunderstand 3betting...not that i have it perfect yet but of course we wouldn't 3bet and fold aq.....if our plan was to 3bet fold we would do it with junk or something that has no value flatting...
    Mucking the AQo never really crossed my mind but I am somewhat fascinated to see if folding should be considered here given the reads/scenario as well as being OOP with 30bb vs lag opponent.
    now that i see he is lag folding is silly and out of the question....you crush his range here when you take in account only 30bbs and the antes.....the only thing that scares me is its a 3x...if he 3xs always though then you can profitable jam here and if hes really bad alot of times thats best....

but either repoping to a size where we can jam any flop appropriately and call/get it in if he four bets pre

or

calling pre and calling all streets regardless of the board will show profit...because his range is weak and hes loose aggressive and will always bluff...

Not certain if this was the right move but considering the field is down to less than 100 runners (out of 3300) with us sitting mid 30s in chip stack (avg being 110k), I decided to flat and re-evaluate the situation on the flop.

*** FLOP *** [Ac Qs Jd]

=
    now we ignore the times when villain has us beat and simply check call all the way and jam the river if we think he can call and won't bluff his air on the river to use.....but usually they will so your prob check calling all the way......
    *** FLOP *** [Ac Qs Jd]

Comments/Suggestions on the above. Thx in advance.

MC

c/r flop. If the flop goes cc, jam all blank turns.

At this point we want our stack to be going to the middle. If villain has 1010 or KJ here, we still have 4 outs and with this flop, all the chips were heading to the middle anyway.
  • I am thinking 'perfect flop'.... nohhh?!?!?

Technically, we should only be concern of the villain flopping da nuts and sets here. However, if our initial reads are indeed accurate, villain most likely just hit botton two, top pair no kicker or he's hating the flop entirely with his underpair.

Regardless, we atleast expect a c-bet but I often wonder if leading out with top 2 would be a better option to consider than chk/raise or flat calling?!?!? Are we thinking perhaps this is a move for a much different situation?!?!? Given this scenario, we opted for the chk/raise instead...

MCflip73: checks
    mrd99: bets 9600
    MCflip73: raises 15400 to 25000
    mrd99: calls 15400 ???

*** TURN *** [Ac Qs Jd] [Kd]

Ughhh...., Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?!?!?

Thanx in advance.

MC
  • The Kd is a brutal card, but I don't think we can back off just yet.

I would B/F the turn for 1/3 pot or ~22k. If villain jams over us here, they are never bluffing and we are way behind drawing to 2-4 outs.
    I am thinking 'perfect flop'.... nohhh?!?!?

Technically, we should only be concern of the villain flopping da nuts and sets here. However, if our initial reads are indeed accurate, villain most likely just hit botton two, top pair no kicker or he's hating the flop entirely with his underpair.

Regardless, we atleast expect a c-bet but I often wonder if leading out with top 2 would be a better option to consider than chk/raise or flat calling?!?!? Are we thinking perhaps this is a move for a much different situation?!?!? Given this scenario, we opted for the chk/raise instead...

mrd99: bets 9600
    MCflip73: raises 15400 to 25000
    mrd99: calls 15400 ???

*** TURN *** [Ac Qs Jd] [Kd]

Ughhh...., Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?!?!?

Thanx in advance.

MC
    if your loose aggressive read on this opponent is correct then you can fold out of turn...calling your check raise he can only have AA QQ JJ KK AK...I think aq and aj re pop your check raise....he might even flat behind with KT... kq is possible but you can't beat his flop calling range once the k comes....
    \

but once we cr the flop..we prob almost committed ourself....

i think i prefer to check call the flop tho..
  • darbday wrote: »
    if your loose aggressive read on this opponent is correct then you can fold out of turn...calling your check raise he can only have AA QQ JJ KK AK...I think aq and aj re pop your check raise....he might even flat behind with KT... kq is possible but you can't beat his flop calling range once the k comes....
    \

but once we cr the flop..we prob almost committed ourself....

i think i prefer to check call the flop tho..

bs, villain could be playing A2 here for all we know
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    bs, villain could be playing A2 here for all we know
    i don't think he flats our cr with that......but yes we can't rule it out completly....i just feel like calling that cr is strong...but it could be a weak ace thats scared to jam but will call off all turns pretty much anyways......

but he has a2 then check calling is still prob the best idea....
  • Villain calling our raise on da flop is just a tad bit concerning but not much...

At the time, I would only assume that the villain has connected with the flop in some way. If he had the goods, I was pretty certain I would have heard abt it. Thus, there is a good possibility that we are still ahead here. However, doubt starts to kick in and we are now considering jamming the turn providing it was blank. But generally, I'm thinking all is still good!!!

And then of course, the 'turn' card happened....

Ughhh, of all the cards in the deck it had to be that one. We have already committed over a 1/3 of our stack here and with this board vs lag opponent OOP, it is not what I would call an 'ideal situation'. Regardless of what we do on the turn, I am almost certain the villain will bet (if we chk) or raise/jam (if we lead out) so I'm debating what should we do now?!?!

We decide to check...

mrd99: bets 19200
    MCflip73::-\

Call/Raise/Fold?!?!?

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments?!?!?

MC
    Villain calling our raise on da flop is just a tad bit concerning but not much...
    theres something else thats concerning though i think....

we describe the villain as loose/aggresive.....

so we he opens pre he has a lot of hands in his range.....
    you expect him to bet regardless if hits big or not
    you nutted the flop...
    you check
    he bets almost his entire range....
    you (check) raise
    he folds all the time when he has air...and...
    he folds a lot of the hands that you beat that will continue to bluff more on the turn....which he will because he is aggressive...

for the rest of the hand if you won't get all your chips in i think you should fold but if you will then i think you should check call.....that way times that he has it are balanced by the times that he bluffs off to you with hands you beat....

if you just hammer your nut hands into oppenents you don't gain enough value for the times when you are coolered...

and on top of that with an aggressive opponent...you are missing value by checking raising because he almost always folds and he almost always bluffs more money to you on the turn....
    if you just hammer your nut hands into oppenents you don't gain enough value for the times when you are coolered...
    ^^ This times 10 is what I am guilty of too often, nicely explained Darb.. Now why is it that you seem to be able to explain poker situations quite well but have difficulty making others understand your thoughts around "life" situations... Grammar (who the f cares about exact spelling anyways) doesn't need to be perfect, mine sure isn't, but does need to be good enough to convey the intended message.
  • compuease wrote: »
    ^^ This times 10 is what I am guilty of too often, nicely explained Darb.. Now why is it that you seem to be able to explain poker situations quite well but have difficulty making others understand your thoughts around "life" situations... Grammar (who the f cares about exact spelling anyways) doesn't need to be perfect, mine sure isn't, but does need to be good enough to convey the intended message.
    because explaining everything else is the same and easy.....but explaining whats going on in the world and 'how to change it' requires revolutionary ideas and radical thinking from people on both sides....it is the one subject different from everything else is what im saying

omg....who do i complain to if our mod was derailing threads...

:bs: :( ??? :o ??? :-X :-X

:-[ :-X :( :-\ :mad: :o

??? :-[ :confused::confused: :-\ :mad: :-\

^ #occupy

omg....who do i complain to if our mod was derailing threads...
    self ban for a couple of hours.... :-[

for the rest of the hand if you won't get all your chips in i think you should fold but if you will then i think you should check call.....that way times that he has it are balanced by the times that he bluffs off to you with hands you beat....

and on top of that with an aggressive opponent...you are missing value by checking raising because he almost always folds and he almost always bluffs more money to you on the turn....

Firstly, your last response was well said..., and as always, I appreciate the comments.

Secondly, I am in agreement with you on the above and so now a decision had to be made whether we go all the way or fold now. Hence, we tank here to re-evaluate action/play.

Eventually, I came to the conclusion that about the only thing that really beats me here is the villain possibly holding a 10 (ie. likelyhood being J10, Q10 or even A10). If he does, then so be it. Consider it 'variance' so we decide to flat all the way in the hopes we are good at show down...

mrd99: bets 19200
    MCflip73: calls 19200

*** RIVER *** [Ac Qs Jd Kd] [2c]

mrd99: bets 38400
    MCflip73: calls 38400

*** SHOW DOWN ***

mrd99: shows [Qd Th] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
    MCflip73: mucks hand
    mrd99 collected 189200 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 189200 | Rake 0
    Board [Ac Qs Jd Kd 2c]
    Seat 1: mrd99 showed [Qd Th] and won (189200) with a straight, Ten to Ace
    Seat 2: netorist (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: camila198 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 4: MCflip73 (big blind) mucked [Qh As]
    Seat 5: theblefe171 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: Macflyy69 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 7: dodo-chang folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: isazapoker08 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Was eliminated from the tourny a couple of hands later at 96th.

Oh well, c'est la vie I guess...,:(

MC
  • I didn't look closely at stacks now but what probably makes sense is jamming turn if you have less than a potbet in your stack
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I didn't look closely at stacks now but what probably makes sense is jamming turn if you have less than a potbet in your stack
    ...not check calling vs an aggressive opponent?
    ...not check calling vs an aggressive opponent?

Maybe, not completely sure. I dislike the flop checkraise by us but the motivation for betting again on the turn after checkraising is that he'll probably hero almost all of his range since he's bound to have something when he flats the checkraise

If you check you give him the option to check behind and if we then jam river I don't think we have many bluffs in our range. As I said, not sure which one is really better though
  • I would have 3 bet for sure pre to around 26-28k.

In regards to the rest of the hand; check/raise is good as played but the raise needs to be bigger, honestly with your stack size I jam.

Again as played when the K hits the turn I would bet to see where he is at, he would likely raise you decent here and I would fold it. If he flats check fold river, villain is only betting into you here with better than your 2 pair.
  • Looking at one, thing, I think your c/r sizing on the flop was too small.

Prior to the flop there is about 24,000 in the pot. Villain cbets a 1/3rd pot (9,600) into this pot, making the pot 33,600. He cbet size being the same as his preflop bet IMO screams blocker bet/weakness.

You c/r 15,400 more, now the pot is 49,000. Villain is getting over 3 to 1 to call, so any drawing hand will have near the right odds.

IMO your problem wasn't your plan, but your bet sizing. If you c/r to like ~30k+ it makes it harder on villain to continue with their draw.
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    Looking at one, thing, I think your c/r sizing on the flop was too small.

Prior to the flop there is about 24,000 in the pot. Villain cbets a 1/3rd pot (9,600) into this pot, making the pot 33,600. He cbet size being the same as his preflop bet IMO screams blocker bet/weakness.

You c/r 15,400 more, now the pot is 49,000. Villain is getting over 3 to 1 to call, so any drawing hand will have near the right odds.

IMO your problem wasn't your plan, but your bet sizing. If you c/r to like ~30k+ it makes it harder on villain to continue with their draw.
    here you are talking about trying to get a very bluff happy villain to fold his very weak range on a very dry board when we have the nuts.......

the only drawing hands are trips draw, two pair draw, and gutshot.....
    here you are talking about trying to get a very bluff happy villain to fold his very weak range on a very dry board when we have the nuts.......

the only drawing hands are trips draw, two pair draw, and gutshot.....

Ac Qs Jd

Dry board? Aside from it being a rainbow, that board is pretty freaking wet, especially given an aggressive villains range.

Are we still stacking off if any K, J, 10, 9 or 8 hit on the turn? Personally, I'd rather get my chips in now with a c/r, vs giving villain odds to call and be hating life when 1/3 of the deck hits the turn.

Further, if OP is trying to get their stack in on the turn, he needs to bet more to make it a ~PSB shove.