Poker in Las Vegas

I will be going to Vegas in 4 weeks time and will be playing a lot of limit poker there, mostly games in the 3/6 to 5/10 range.

I've heard that a good goal for live games is 1 BB/hour, but is that really appropriate for the low limits? I've played there before and the play is usually horrific. Should a good player playing the 3/6 to 5/10 games be able to make more than 1 BB/Hour? If so, what is a reasonable goal?

Also, what poker books are targeted towards playing low limit live games with the crazies in vegas? I'd like to read something on the plane...

Thanks

Comments

• jester777 wrote:
    I will be going to Vegas in 4 weeks time and will be playing a lot of limit poker there, mostly games in the 3/6 to 5/10 range.

I've heard that a good goal for live games is 1 BB/hour, but is that really appropriate for the low limits? I've played there before and the play is usually horrific. Should a good player playing the 3/6 to 5/10 games be able to make more than 1 BB/Hour? If so, what is a reasonable goal?

I wouldn't worry too much about "hourly rate" for a single trip to Vegas. Hourly rate is a much longer term concept.
    Also, what poker books are targeted towards playing low limit live games with the crazies in vegas? I'd like to read something on the plane...

I'd suggest, in this order:

Dave Scharf "Winning at Poker"
    Lee Jones "Winning Low Limit Holdem, 2nd Ed"
    David Sklansky "Holdem Poker"

Once you're comfortable with that material:

David Sklansky "Theory of Poker"
    Miller, Sklansky, Malmuth "Small Stakes Holdem: Winning Big With Expert Play"

Some more possible reading, though diverging from specifically LLHE:

Larry Phillips "Zen and the Art of Poker"
    Mike Caro "Caro's Book of Poker Tells"

And for the love of your bankroll, stay the h-e-double hockey sticks away from:

Phil Hellmuth "Play Poker Like the Pros"

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    And for the love of your bankroll, stay the h-e-double hockey sticks away from:

Phil Hellmuth "Play Poker Like the Pros"

ScottyZ
    now you tell me (and no i'm not joking)

it took so long to reverse the damage that book did to me ... it was the first poker book i read. but i did pick up some exellent pointers on how to throw a temper tantrum
  • Chugs wrote:
    now you tell me (and no i'm not joking)

it took so long to reverse the damage that book did to me ... it was the first poker book i read. but i did pick up some exellent pointers on how to throw a temper tantrum

Me too Chugs!

Now, it's Lee Jones, followed by Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth, with Caro's book and The Theory of Poker nearby.

I need to pick up Dave's book.

macbb
  • Many of those books are great. Lee Jones' book is overrated, IMO.

Miller's book is the number one book ever on beginning poker.

Then again, I'm a huge 2+2 fan.