these spots dont come around often

PokerStars Game #69179593583: Tournament #543010001, $1000+$50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (50/100) - 2011/10/18 18:37:23 ET
Table '543010001 14' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: kingsofcards (14611 in chips)
Seat 2: yurasov1990 (5747 in chips)
Seat 3: Luca9922 (9243 in chips)
Seat 4: engelberth.v (2910 in chips)
Seat 5: BetrThanPhil (5931 in chips)
Seat 6: TIITTIIT (9426 in chips)
Seat 7: Paolo69 (4515 in chips)
Seat 8: wallabaer (11965 in chips)
Seat 9: runylh (3980 in chips)
kingsofcards: posts the ante 10
yurasov1990: posts the ante 10
Luca9922: posts the ante 10
engelberth.v: posts the ante 10
BetrThanPhil: posts the ante 10
TIITTIIT: posts the ante 10
Paolo69: posts the ante 10
wallabaer: posts the ante 10
runylh: posts the ante 10
Paolo69: posts small blind 50
wallabaer: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BetrThanPhil [Ac Kh]
runylh: folds
kingsofcards: folds
yurasov1990: folds
Luca9922: raises 700 to 800
engelberth.v: folds
BetrThanPhil:?

first hand at table just got moved here....

Comments

• I have no clue how the high stakes MTT players play. Having said that, I looked at this guys stats and he rarely, if every plays a tourney this high. He qualified for this one in a $4.40 rebuy that he won.

It looks like he is trying to protect TT - QQ against weaker Aces and Kings. And if someone comes over the top of his raise, he knows he's either beat or flipping.

I'd re-raise to $1600 and get it in if he shoves.
  • Nice my 1st thought was he has Jacks and hates them and is playing them "correctly" but does someone in a 1k tourn still play Jacks like this?

Then I saw what dj posted. He sat'd in. Jacks.

Now I don't look up stats enough. I do, just not enough. When you see this raise do you have enough time to look up the players stats and still make a decision? I think you do I've watched you hammer them online a couple of times.

Edit: are you concerned about seat 6 and/or 8?
  • Tournament #543010001, $1000+$50 USD Hold'em No Limit

^ this makes the question out of my league!

however, i think you could argue about flatting or reraising here. in any case, i would imagine you are for sure ahead of his range.

if this is literally your first hand at the table, i can see villain just trying to push you around assuming that without any reads on opponents you'll just fold most holdings instead of getting tricky on your first hand out of position against a decent sized raise.

i have made similar plays as this (not usually a larger sized raise though). i will pick on the opponent who just sat at the table to my left with a few raises in position right away since i find new players to the table tend to play a little more tight until they get a feel for the style of play at the table and the other players. i find it a good strategy to pick up easy chips/blinds.

however, i usually play for about 10% of your entry fee normally, so what do i know :P
  • seems like an odd raise with AA or KK being the first person in the hand? Probably a coin toss. Problem is, if he has QQ-10, etc, if an Ace or King comes on the flop, your not making any more in any case. If you miss the flop, he likely makes a continuation bet. Find a better spot.
  • This is such a fishy play that I would flat. As you mentioned you were just moved here and have no read on the fellow, it also disguises your hand. Your stack does allow for a 3 bet but I don't see the value as he has chips to play with and will certainly flat or 4 bet. As jah mentioned he will likely cbet any flop and I would play it a simple hit or miss. If you hit the flop great and will likely take a nice pot if you miss you lose min.
  • The buyin doesnt really matter haha, because this never happens at larger buyin tourneys, so i immidiatly assumed he qualified through a smaller satty. My original thoughts never had flat in it. 3 betting an 8x seems silly with 60bb considering my original 3 bet size is 2.5x his raise. He raised 700 so 1750 more would be a 3 bet to 2550 which is almost half my stack. even If i 3 bet to like 1600 i have very little if any fold equity pre and after a cbet Im committing way to much of my stack to just fold if he jams on a rag flop. I think its a jam or fold, but as I said I rarely see this so wanted to hear what others thought. I did jam and he had KK. Flop AArag had him drawing dead though :P about an hour later with the blinds 75/150 he opened for 1050 in the CO. with 4200 back and I woke up with AA and jammed, again he had KK.
  • shove and 3bet seems to both make sense. i hate a flat, even moreso than a fold
  • I now see why flatting is bad, but if it's a jam or fold, I'd fold here, even in a smaller buyin mtt. You have a good stack and the guy's range is so narrow here. I mean is it really a spot at 50/100 where you wanna jam and hope you're flipping with TT-QQ, or just chopping against AK?
  • this is assuming he only raises like this with those hands. A player who satelited in through a 4.40 satty is very unpredictable. He may raise like this with his favourite hand and AQs. who knows really. But after thinking about for awhile, I think a fold was best. Just an interesting spot haha
  • Doesn't sound Russian, but these comrades are getting crazier. Every single pot they play they try to make it a big pot.

This is where I usually hit the history button to see how he got his stack.
  • Yeah, F him, he clearly has no clue what he's doing so shove can't be bad. I've seen ppl do this with 44 and all sorts of rubbish. OFC sometimes it is KK/AA that's "scared to get sucked out on" but, blockers etc.