Did I play this wrong?

It seems that every week, I need to come here and ask for validation :)

That's okay, free knowledge sure beats paying $4500/year + books :D

Anyways, here's the situation:

Weekly no-limit tournament: Blinds 100-200. I've got a stack of about TC3000.
I'm one off the button, with QsJs. It's folded to me, and I raise it to 400, partly for value, partly on a steal. Button and SB fold, and BB (about TC5000, and the kind of player who is capable of reraising with any two on a suspected blind steal) makes it 1000 (so 600 more to go).

Question one: Is calling here correct?

So I call. The pot's 2100 (1000 from each of us, plus 100 SB). The flop comes Tc9c7h. BB pushes all-in. I've got about TC2000 left.

Question two: Is calling here correct?

So I call. He flips over KK, I don't improve, and my tournament is over (ouch!).

I'd appreciate whatever feedback I could get. Gracias!

Comments

• Question 1: I would've called if he was known to stop pot grabs even with QsJs. Also, how many players were left?

Question 2: No, calling there wasnt good. He could've picked up a nut flush which would be better than the open-ended you had.

But always with cards, it's the luck...
  • Question one: Is calling here correct?

You are offered 600 call on a 1700 pot. You are getting slightly less than 3-1. It's a close call depending upon two things: (1) The range of hands he will make this re-raise with; and (2) The real likelihood that he is re-stealing.

I favour folding here. You still have LOTS of chips left relative to the size of the blinds. You are in a marginal situation. Gambling a lot of chips in a marginal situation when you still have a lot of chips relative to the blinds is not a good idea.

This does not address the fact that you have to figure out how to deal with this guy? If you are going to lay down Q-Js against a player who might be on a re-raise steal then he will eat you alive. Well... you are going to lay that down FOR NOW. Later in the tournament you may not.

In fact, you are going to deal with this player by NOT stealing from him. If you decide to take a shot at his big blind you will ONLY do it with a hand that you feel comforatble playing for your full stack. Q high is not that hand.
    So I call. The pot's 2100 (1000 from each of us, plus 100 SB). The flop comes Tc9c7h. BB pushes all-in. I've got about TC2000 left.

Question two: Is calling here correct?

You are being offered 2000 into a 4100 pot. Another marginal situation. You have six outs for sure. Probably eight outs. Maybe 14 outs. 2-1 on a draw. I also favour folding here.

I the big blind is capable of pounding in 2100 on a semi-bluff then calling him when you hold a big draw is using the wrong weapon. How do you beat this player? You find a hand and let him destroy himself. What you do NOT want to do against super-aggressive players is get in and mix it up with a lot of draws. Even though you might have marginally the best of it, draws are very high variance and in this case, miss one and you are gone.