Interesting Hand of The Night Numero Dos

1/2 NL (plays as 2/5 more or less). Straddled pot at 10 handed table and I am the BB in probably my 5th hand at the table. Lots of tight regs who know I can make some moves but rarely every have the balls to do anything about it (lots of "I knew you were bluffing, one time I'll have aces" talk...sigh), button doesn't know me too well.

Limped 6-7 ways to my BB and I make it $50 to go with $350 behind. Folds to the button who is an extremely typical player for these stakes. He almost never has JJ+ in this spot and certainly never has QQ+ in this spot from how I've seen him play in the past, how I've heard him talk about hands in the past and from a combination of mannerisms. He thinks (he is actually thinking and not acting) for 30 seconds or so and shoves 185, making it $135 to call.

What's his range?

What's my preflop range?

What's my calling range?

Comments

• was the pot straddled?

I'm assuming your preflop range is somewhat close to your calling range unless you enjoy playing bloated pots OOP with 12% of your stack invested. I'll give villain like 77-JJ or AJ-AK type hands here, if he's bad enough or wants to gamble enough I guess you can throw in some smaller pairs and suited aces
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    was the pot straddled?

I'm assuming your preflop range is somewhat close to your calling range unless you enjoy playing bloated pots OOP with 12% of your stack invested. I'll give villain like 77-JJ or AJ-AK type hands here, if he's bad enough or wants to gamble enough I guess you can throw in some smaller pairs and suited aces

I do enjoy that:)

Yes, straddled.
  • aqqqqqq tt qq jj
  • Cool Post bro!

Your preflop bet reeks of stealing. BU knows that. However, if he's the typical player you say he is, the limp behind after 5-6 limpers most often means he's somewhat weak, in both hand and player.

First, Id say YOUR range is ATC.
    I don't put you on a suited connector though. I'd assume you're a somewhat good player and would just elect to see a free flop.
    Obviously the big hands are in your range, but i'd put the trash more often in your hands.
    So I don't put you on 25s - KQs, but I put you on 99+, AT+ about a third of the time, the other times I put you on pure trash like T4, Q3 etc.

I'd say you're running into A5+, 66+, KT+, KQ, and if he's angry, Trash like K4 and QT.

I'd probably only call here with AJ+, ATs+, 77+, and depending on a good read, KQ and maybe KJ.
  • My stealing range is almost atc...I'm really just looking to take this down preflop or get it hu pre and steal on the flop. Atc excludes 22 to 99 23s to T9s and similar 1 and 2 gap hands as these are more worth playing 200bb deep for stacks post flop.

I really wasn't expecting the button shove and then got myself into this situation getting almost exactly 2:1 on a call (35ish plus 50 plus 50 in the pot and 135 to call).

I put his range at AK, 77-TT and thought I was roughly 30 to 32 percent vs his range (I did the math at home after and think I was 28.5ish vs this range).

I had Q4o...should I have called even though I thought I was getting a slightly bad price?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    My stealing range is almost atc...I'm really just looking to take this down preflop or get it hu pre and steal on the flop. Atc excludes 22 to 99 23s to T9s and similar 1 and 2 gap hands as these are more worth playing 200bb deep for stacks post flop.

I really wasn't expecting the button shove and then got myself into this situation getting almost exactly 2:1 on a call (35ish plus 50 plus 50 in the pot and 135 to call).

I put his range at AK, 77-TT and thought I was roughly 30 to 32 percent vs his range (I did the math at home after and think I was 28.5ish vs this range).

I had Q4o...should I have called even though I thought I was getting a slightly bad price?

To me, this call is more about the meta game and the rest of the night rather than this one hand. IF, you usually only show down monsters to these guys and they rarely call you, then you call and show.

If its the typical 1/2 game where they don't pay that much attention, to anything, then its a fold.

If you bluff a lot, its a fold.
  • Sorry GTA,
    what I meant to say is I'm afraid to see 99+ AT+.
    I do think you dot his with 22+, but not suited connectors.

Given you had Q4, and given its a cash game, I think you can fold without worrying too much and just say nice hand....

but if you dont care about the money, and you can hide yoru cards till he shows on the river, then I don't mind the call given the math you provided.
  • lol, you don't need me to tell you you deserved that ^^'

seriously though, there's some money in the pot, 185+50+ 20ish and you'd have to call 135 to contest it so you need roughly 35% equity to call. Most of the time you're not gonna have that and you're playing a 1/2 donkament that's playing even larger for some reason. Is it really that hard to just wait for spots to play for the value of your hand? ^^'
  • also don't know if i got the thread right but there is a range of hands many play won't raise with pre but will call off if squeezed...its usually hands like tt and jj sometimes aqs and can be as wide as qq kqs aqo ajs...don't know if that pertains...but i don't think you are getting 2 to 1 on his range here.....

but even if 2 to 1 why would we call if we are not getting a good price on our money?