Feedback...

PokerStars Game #68094031441: Tournament #446692052, $1.08+$0.27+$0.15 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (200/400) - 2011/09/26 15:33:29 ET
Table '446692052 7' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: Mclovin3031 (4447 in chips)
Seat 2: GREAT ALEX77 (5821 in chips)
Seat 3: mishapro07 (5125 in chips)
Seat 6: McAusland (6851 in chips)
Seat 7: tosteros (16280 in chips)
Seat 8: pokersmoochy (22996 in chips)
Seat 9: maritovsky (1525 in chips)
Mclovin3031: posts the ante 50
GREAT ALEX77: posts the ante 50
mishapro07: posts the ante 50
McAusland: posts the ante 50
tosteros: posts the ante 50
pokersmoochy: posts the ante 50
maritovsky: posts the ante 50
tosteros: posts small blind 200
pokersmoochy: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to McAusland [Kc Kh]
maritovsky: folds
Mclovin3031: folds
GREAT ALEX77: folds
mishapro07: folds
McAusland: raises 700 to 1100
tosteros: folds
pokersmoochy: calls 700
*** FLOP *** [Qc 4d Kd]
pokersmoochy: checks
McAusland: checks
*** TURN *** [Qc 4d Kd] [Jd]
pokersmoochy: checks
McAusland: bets 1200
pokersmoochy: calls 1200
*** RIVER *** [Qc 4d Kd Jd] [Tc]
pokersmoochy: bets 1200
McAusland said, "nice straight sir. well caught."
McAusland: folds
Uncalled bet (1200) returned to pokersmoochy
pokersmoochy collected 5150 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5150 | Rake 0
Board [Qc 4d Kd Jd Tc]
Seat 1: Mclovin3031 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: GREAT ALEX77 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: mishapro07 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: McAusland (button) folded on the River
Seat 7: tosteros (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: pokersmoochy (big blind) collected (5150)
Seat 9: maritovsky folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Tourney is on the money bubble, has been for a while. Villain has been fairly tight, yet to see him get really out of line.

As played, I have to instafold the river. Pretty much a guaranteed call from him on the turn with AdXx or any AxXd, so I'm smoked. How can I play this differently in the future to increase profitability and, you know, not lose the hand?

Comments

• take the total pot....divide by 1200 what you have to call....get that percent that you have to be right....and know that hes bluffing at least 10%...not time to do the numbers but i think you have to call....he has 2 pair and sets in his range...
  • Disiprined Fold.
    But please bet flop. and do a regular cbet like, 1600 or so.
    Cbets there are so common, he may call you with a QT hand or something. Plus there's a SD/FD, I think it's a mandatory bet to charge these draws.

As to the river play, maybe it's a good fold, but even with a 4 card straight, 3card flush, I'm allways calling when getting 5:1 with top set. After all, you are playing a $1 tourny and he might think he's value betting 2pair here.
  • Your pf bet is a little low. You want to represent a big hand and not a button steal. Minimum 1600 pf = 4BB's. As played, he was getting 3:1 to call 700 which against a small stack is almost any 2 cards.

Definitely cbet the flop. I think at least 2100 to leave him with 2.5:1 to call. Leaves you 3600 which is enough to continue if he comes in over you and you fold. Makes you look pot-committed and stronger.

With no bet on the flop, on the turn 1200 into 3150 is too low if you're repping the flush. Also gives him odds to call. Bigger bet here, or check.

He probably got lucky on the river with any ace, or was playing any BB special with 2 diamonds. Good fold. However, I think you needed to be more aggressive PF and on the flop.
  • Why would you want to represent a big hand when you have a big hand? U want him to think your on a button steal.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    Disiprined Fold.
    But please bet flop. and do a regular cbet like, 1600 or so.
    Cbets there are so common, he may call you with a QT hand or something. Plus there's a SD/FD, I think it's a mandatory bet to charge these draws.

As to the river play, maybe it's a good fold, but even with a 4 card straight, 3card flush, I'm allways calling when getting 5:1 with top set. After all, you are playing a $1 tourny and he might think he's value betting 2pair here.

This. Bet flop. Shove turn.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Why would you want to represent a big hand when you have a big hand? U want him to think your on a button steal.

imo

It's a $1 tourney. Creative play doesn't get paid.
    You're on the bubble when being aggressive pays.
    You're short-stacked against opponent with 4x your stack.

As played, the big stack didn't have to make any tough decisions. To induce a mistake from him, bet more pf, and bet the flop.
  • Thanks all! I think I did exactly what I shouldn`t at this level, as asxn said, got too creative. Normally with that much draw, yeah bet it out, hope he comes over the top and post in BBV if he gets there ;) Same goes for betting more preflop. Just got too cute for my own good there I think.
  • i rarely slow play at this level. in fact, i think playing faster is even better. shove flop here and you will probably get paid off by 2nd pair or even worse. after all, pot on the flop is 2750 and you have 5751 behind (if i did the math right) - that's a decent pot already for your stack so taking it down there would make me happy. edit: but i suck so what do i know :P
  • asxn557 wrote: »
    Your pf bet is a little low. You want to represent a big hand and not a button steal. Minimum 1600 pf = 4BB's. As played, he was getting 3:1 to call 700 which against a small stack is almost any 2 cards.

Definitely cbet the flop. I think at least 2100 to leave him with 2.5:1 to call. Leaves you 3600 which is enough to continue if he comes in over you and you fold. Makes you look pot-committed and stronger.

With no bet on the flop, on the turn 1200 into 3150 is too low if you're repping the flush. Also gives him odds to call. Bigger bet here, or check.

He probably got lucky on the river with any ace, or was playing any BB special with 2 diamonds. Good fold. However, I think you needed to be more aggressive PF and on the flop.

PLS dont do this. Even in the $1 games they will catch on to your raise sizes if you change them based on your holdings. Your basic theory here is majorly flawed as hinted at by actyper. Why on earth would you WANT to tell your opponent you have a monster?

Make your standard raise. OP - Looks good PF. Then as jd said, bet flop, shove turn.