1st satellite entry chip win

I was lucky enough to hold out to win a $39US satellite online entry into a $215US buy-in tourney next week. Prize pool totalling $250,000. I realize the skill level would rise somewhat, but hopefully there are some fish I can feed off early to stay close. :)

Any tips anyone may have would be appreciated.

Comments

• Way to go, I can't wait for a chance like that.. I know how excited I get when I get close...So what site did you win on...Tell us more!

Best of luck 8)
  • I went to a site I normally don't go to, just to be anonymous. I'd like it to stay that way. lol Didn't use the same nic either. lol But I usually play as X15 on Canadian Poker Player, or UB's site. Anyway, I was noticing how other people were picking up on my tighter playing style. I'd finally bet a pot, and they'd frequently fold. It does help for the odd bluff though. :) Also, these were people who had seen me a number of times. I wanted to go somewhere else to see if my game can go up against others who haven't seen me play yet. So far so good. Getting to this seat is a thrill. You couldn't pry me away from this one. I'll post the results here after it's over. lol Not sure of the payouts, because it says prizes won't be posted until registration closes. Guaranteed minimum total prize pool of $250,000, and could go higher if a large number of people enter. I would guess 1st might pay 50-100K. Not sure of the number of paying positions either.
    I just want to play my game, and see how far it takes me. Thanks for the nod.
  • It sounds like a pokerstars.com tourny, they have a guaranteed 250K tourny. Good luck! One question though, were you finding that you were becoming less profitable at your original site because of your "tight" reputation? If you were still profitable, why change? I am assuming that you became less profitable...let us know how you do :D

stp
  • good job!

I had a nice online day on UB for Friday...two TECs and +$220

I got REALLY lucky in the 2nd TEC tournament..I was last place heading into the last round, then got fully paid off on 3 sets of trips and even a set of quads...witihn 9 hands I had pretty much locked in 1st place (I had 7400 of the 10,000 chips after those hands)
  • It was pokerstars. Now my secret alterego at the secret site, is out of the bag though. lol

Watch for me in those TEC's and Aruba DE's too, at CPP. I'll be in the hunt.

Maybe I'm just overanylyzing my game. If that's even possible? lol I wouldn't say my game was less profitable, just different. I would mix up my play as soon as they started adjusting theirs to mine though. Just like the marines. lol Adapt, overcome.
  • Sorry, forgot to sign in. lol
  • Nice going sloth. That was a Good Friday, yes? lol You'll have to post your results too. GL in the $+220
  • Since it sounds like I play tight all the time, that wasn't my intention. Yes, I did in the past. I have recently discovered how to shift gears when I want to (both ways), rather than just reacting all the time. It is a valuable weapon to add to your game. The neat thing was it happened naturally, after MANY free games and tourneys online. After I read my first poker book and saw it mentioned, I said to myself, "OH, that's what it's called." True story. lol

Coincidently, when my game changed to include this new element, so did my finishing results. Right after that strategy change, was the same weekend I had 2 top 100's in online freerolls, and my satellite qualifier win. I sense a pattern. lol
  • Just a week or two ago I came second in a poker stars $3+rebuy tournament. 1200+ entrants and after rebuys and add-ons it was a pretty nice pot. Got a TEC to a restricted sunday event and $533 cash (US Dollars, always a nice treat).

It has now allowed me to make a killing at the 2-4 tables and am starting to play 30-40 sit n go's

Funny how a little bankroll can give you the edge.

Congrats to all!
  • DJP wrote:
    Nice going sloth. That was a Good Friday, yes? lol You'll have to post your results too. GL in the $+220

Thanks. I used the TEC in a WPT qualifier and didn't make it. By +$220 I didn't mean the event cost, I actually meant that on that day I won 2 TECs and also made 220 playing regular 1-2 NL.
  • DJP, a nice feature at PokerStars is that you can cancel out of a tourney that you've won a sat to and take the entrance fee as tourney dollars into your account. I usually prefer to take the tourney dollars immediately to replay into sit&go's or other sats....and then, if you decide to play the main event, you can still either use your tourney dollar bankroll (or cash).

...just throwing out some options to offer flexibility.
  • Thanks for the tip Sir. I noticed that "Unregister" button too, and had considered it for awhile. I even considered giving up a piece of my action to a better player, who'd play the game for me. lol But then I thought that would be a technical no no, cuz it's still my name on the screen. I really want to play in it though. I can always go back to the qualifiers if necessary. Regards, Don
  • Here are my last few online tourney finishes. A couple were heartbreaking. lol Hoping this kind of showing in recent past, gives me a decent shot on Sunday. I'm getting the jitters already. lol

Lost the tourney # info. Bad cut and paste.

Tournament started - 2004/04/11 - 23:30:00 (ET)
    Tournament finished - 2004/04/12 - 04:12:57 (ET)
    1: murphstahoe (San Francisco), $1000.00 (qualified for the target tournament)
    2: bax2bax (Brownstown), $1000.00 (qualified for the target tournament)
    3: Phantomsj (Mars), $2150.00
    ^
    ^
    ^
    58: DJEP (Saskatoon)

PokerStars Tournament #1385900, No Limit Hold'em
    Super Satellite
    Buy-In: $10.00/$1.00
    336 players
    Total Prize Pool: $9780.00
    Target Tournament #1281496 Buy-In: $215.00/$15.00
    45 tickets to the target tournament

Tournament started - 2004/04/11 - 14:15:00 (ET)
    Tournament finished - 2004/04/11 - 15:41:42 (ET)
    1: DEL_BOY (B o Sea), (qualified for the target tournament)
    2: delta3 (new england), (qualified for the target tournament)
    3: acesover8s (grand rapids), (qualified for the target tournament)
    4: midge20 (Northants), (qualified for the target tournament)
    5: bankshot (dunmore), (qualified for the target tournament)
    6: iconoclast (London), (qualified for the target tournament)
    7: OldKingCole (Colchester, England), (qualified for the target tournament)
    8: MagicSwede (Linköping), (qualified for the target tournament)
    9: GoHiLo (LONDON), (qualified for the target tournament)
    10: mt_cpa (bozeman), (qualified for the target tournament)
    11: solotes (new york), (qualified for the target tournament)
    12: Fattooh (West New York ), (qualified for the target tournament)
    13: IchiNI (Lake Forest), (qualified for the target tournament)
    14: DC_skills (Newport News), (qualified for the target tournament)
    15: Gottaen (Nesttun), (qualified for the target tournament)
    16: Rioloco (Austin), (qualified for the target tournament)
    17: wahooman (largo), (qualified for the target tournament)
    18: lawyerjim (Searcy), (qualified for the target tournament)
    19: antwann757 (Waldorf), (qualified for the target tournament)
    20: RedToy4X4 (Chantilly), (qualified for the target tournament)
    21: jpholdem (Sulphur), (qualified for the target tournament)
    22: bloop11 (Arlington), (qualified for the target tournament)
    23: Mags21 (Ambridge), (qualified for the target tournament)
    24: basspro216 (lakewater), (qualified for the target tournament)
    25: SmoothToquer (Huntsville), (qualified for the target tournament)
    26: Dekes (Courtdale), (qualified for the target tournament)
    27: macballer (Sewickley), (qualified for the target tournament)
    28: sethny (New York), (qualified for the target tournament)
    29: Homestar (Copa Cabana), (qualified for the target tournament)
    30: oomphalos (Picton), (qualified for the target tournament)
    31: skipwithjoy (livonia), (qualified for the target tournament)
    32: Victorvdb (Eindhoven), (qualified for the target tournament)
    33: Aamigo (Phila), (qualified for the target tournament)
    34: White Noise (Vancouver), (qualified for the target tournament)
    35: McGinn1 (Fayetteville), (qualified for the target tournament)
    36: TMOD (Austin), (qualified for the target tournament)
    37: spartan50 (wyoming), (qualified for the target tournament)
    38: gromboy (Las Vegas), (qualified for the target tournament)
    39: thelongsnake (Ft. Collins), (qualified for the target tournament)
    40: thedocishigh (katy), (qualified for the target tournament)
    41: EvilWilly (New York), (qualified for the target tournament)
    42: AVENGINGLOKI (WIRRAL), (qualified for the target tournament)
    43: mericson_82 (Göteborg), (qualified for the target tournament)
    44: Shannen (Las Vegas), (qualified for the target tournament)
    45: NolesFan66 (Orlando), (qualified for the target tournament)
    46: mikeyb32 (miami), $105.00
    ^
    ^
    ^
    63: CanuckKid (Orillia),
    64: tsn31 (calgary),
    65: DJEP (Saskatoon)

PokerStars Tournament #1386098, No Limit Hold'em
    Super Satellite
    Buy-In: $36.00/$3.00
    49 players
    Total Prize Pool: $3276.00
    Target Tournament #1336903 Buy-In: $215.00/$15.00
    15 tickets to the target tournament

Tournament started - 2004/04/11 - 19:30:00 (ET)
    Tournament finished - 2004/04/11 - 21:54:42 (ET)
    1: Ken irv (san jose), (qualified for the target tournament)
    2: dreadchef (pacifica), (qualified for the target tournament)
    3: Commie Boy (Southampton), (qualified for the target tournament)
    4: zippo44 (Honolulu), (qualified for the target tournament)
    5: VIPDIRECT (aventura), (qualified for the target tournament)
    6: digitaldepot (Corpus Christi), (qualified for the target tournament)
    7: Smitty70 (Holmes), (qualified for the target tournament)
    8: Duff McGuire (Clarkston), (qualified for the target tournament)
    9: marcoray (DOWNEY), (qualified for the target tournament)
    10: Y U I awta (Shamokin ), (qualified for the target tournament)
    11: Dunsurv (Scranton), (qualified for the target tournament)
    12: vdward (College Station), (qualified for the target tournament)
    13: Se103 (Las Vegas), (qualified for the target tournament)
    14: Motheroffour (Beaumont), (qualified for the target tournament)
    15: DJEP (Saskatoon), (qualified for the target tournament)
    16: Ekmonas88 (Thunder Bay), $51.00
    17: Tank0777 (Denver),
    18: Mark Alan (Manassas),
    19: E Vail (Littleton),
    20: first (odessa),
    21: ccagle2 (Knoxville),
    22: Warstar (Nyora Vic),
    23: Carl120450 (Seaford),
    24: Nordberg (Harper Woods),
    25: MarktheShark (Oro Valley),
    26: cblake (Columbia),
    27: GoBroncos (Girard),
    28: babyben (rockville),
    29: ackbleh (Shoreline),
    30: Pokerbengan (Halmstad),
    31: sportdman (Bothell),
    32: Yun-Harla (San Diego),
    33: helgoose (lexington),
    34: sdrawkcab (lancashire),
    35: cmcsa (Palo Alto),
    36: Millby (Jupiter),
    37: CanuckKid (Orillia),
    38: huber14 (Eureka),
    39: whiteboy (bonner springs),
    40: Chicago28 (Chicago),
    41: ladykelly (Horsholm),
    42: JAMIS1124 (Parkland),
    43: *MR.LARSSON* (SÄTILA ),
    44: Yellowtang (San Antonio),
    45: Mr.Cat (SKARA),
    46: chicn124 (theytookmychat),
    47: demon1 (Birmingham),
    48: Firedriver (Brighton),
    49: scardo (Kirkland),
    You finished in 15th place (eliminated at hand #382538006).

PokerStars Tournament #1386509, No Limit Hold'em
    Super Satellite
    Buy-In: $2.00
    701 players
    Total Prize Pool: $4590.00
    Target Tournament #1381079 Buy-In: $33.00/$3.00
    139 tickets to the target tournament

Tournament started - 2004/04/11 - 19:45:00 (ET)
    Tournament finished - 2004/04/11 - 21:09:29 (ET)
    1: Kleptic (Margate), (qualified for the target tournament)
    2: Mr. X (Greenwood), (qualified for the target tournament)
    3: Sphere (Sundbyberg), (qualified for the target tournament)
    ^
    ^
    ^
    136: ZEPP915 (ELK GROVE ), (qualified for the target tournament)
    137: DJEP (Saskatoon), (qualified for the target tournament)
    138: ldyluck366 (Bridgeview), (qualified for the target tournament)
    139: Commie Boy (Southampton), (qualified for the target tournament)
    140: MISS PARKER (tallmadge ), $3.00
  • DJP...I'm not sure what you are asking?

Some decent showings in there, but the Sunday 215$s at Stars attract large numbers...but, just think of the football phrase: 'On any given Sunday...'

Good Luck this weekend.
  • I wasn't really asking anything. I'm just flagrantly inflating my post count. Oops, I meant I was looking for some honest feedback. lol

I'm at that point, I guess, where I'm wondering if it's really any skill that got me this far, or a just a lucky few weeks. lol My results have jumped considerably, in a very short time. By no means, do I believe I've got the game of poker nailed. I know I'm still on a learning curve, but I guess Sunday will settle me down, one way or the other. I'm encouraged by my results lately though. I'd like to think there has been real improvement. Time will tell.

Found out the payouts. Looked at last weeks game, and it was the minimum 250K pool, with 1100+ players.
    1st got $57,500
    2nd $33,750
    3rd $22,000
    Payed down to 137th place, with $250.
  • The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat. lol 1100+ entered. I got punched out at 195th place. About 58 out of the money. lol Had a blast though. Much different game up there. :)

Last hand was pushed all in on small blind, by someone else's larger bet ahead. Had $2100 left, and blinds were 400/800 with ante at $75. Took a shot. He had A, and small kicker?, offsuit. I had p8's. Board flops up two pair, K's+J's. K-J-K-x-J He wins with his Ace kicker. lol That's poker. Guess I'll keep picking at those low dollar sats.

PS, Held average or higher chip count right up until about a half hour before I was out. Then blinds/antes really chewed it up.
  • I think I recall Dave Scharf posting something about good tight players being able to make the money but not being able to win tourny's. Perhaps this is something to consider when evaluating how you played this weekend. Either way, good finish congrats.

stp
  • I see your (Dave's) point, but I have been up in the "rare air" a few times. lol Led a few times so far, in the mid to latter stages. Also played a bunch of freeroll sit n go's for final table practice. Won a few of those too. I know it's not the same, but it's practice going head to head at least.

I think it's a case of pulling all the pieces together in the same game. Maybe.

My final table in this tourney was with the chip leader too. He was pushing everyone around with his stack. Someone would bet, he'd force them to bet bigger or go all in. (just like you should) Without the cards, I just couldn't climb this hill. lol I entered my final table at about $5000 chips. Slowly dropped to $2000. Battled back to $7000, and then dropped slowly back to $2100, where I went all in with my 8's. Leader had about $32,000 when I left game btw. Cards went cold after switch to new table too. No pairs at last table, until the 8's. A few aces, which I'd bet. But mostly low offsuit garbage. It happens.

I'll still have to chat with Dave. He'd have some pointers for sure.

(maybe I can pay him in beer, to watch me play a tourney some time and critique my game. lol)
  • Congrats dude! You still beat out a lot of other players and you have learned a lot I'm sure. 8)
  • Thanks. I'm still at the learning/having fun stage, but think I've made a little progress in the last few months. Maybe by the time I retire, I can play poker well enough to supplement my pension. lol

PS, the final total on entrants was 1298. I checked back after it ended.