Beginner help

Apologies in advance but some help needed from the experienced on here.

I probably made a basic mistake but would appreciate feedback.

In a texas NL game, I was heads up and on the button.

The river produced this hand (note I can't remember exact suits of the cards but I do remember that a flush was not an option as there were max 2 hearts of the numbers below and the rest was one of the other suits)
6-7-8-9-10

I am holding 9-10 in my hand. The other guy bets $30 on the river and I fold, did I make the right choice or would it have been a chop? Should I have called in this situation? All I could think of is if he was holding a J-Q or at least a J in his hand?

Thanks!

Comments

• Without knowing all the action, it would be hard to guess.
  • Yeah, we can't help you unless we know more details the hand. How the hand played out from start to finish, how many people, what limit you're playing at, etc.
  • Sorry for the lack of details and appreciate the quick follow up Highflyer and Hobbes!

flop- 6-7-8
    turn- 9
    river- 10

NL 1/2, 6 ppl in play for the flop with no raises. Player A who won the hand raised to 10 and I called which left us heads up for the river. On the river he bet 30 and I folded.

Let me know if there is anything else I can add and appreciate you guys helping a beginner like me out!
  • So everyone checked the flop, Player A bet $10 into a $12 pot on the turn, you called and then he bets $30 on the river.

Really you should have not gotten yourself into this situation and bet the flop or if you choose to check, raised on the turn. With 6 players to the flop you could have easily gotten some to call with a smallish bet, the board is very draw heavy and continued from there.

The way the board ran out tho and the line Player A played it really is hard to put him on an exact hand, he could have 10 J and figured he would get value with 6 players in betting the turn as it is likely someone has made a smaller straight. I really can't say if you should have called the river here and personally would have folded.
  • you flop the nuts but did you bet on the flop or turn? if there is only $20 (no raising on flop or turn) in the pot on the river, no point in calling $30 for a chop at best.

Bet on flop, bet/maybe push on turn. btw, I'm not folding on the river if I bet on the flop and turn as I wouldn't expect him to be holding a jack.

More info needed to really understand the situation. How much did each player have behind, double suited flop? any betting flop or turn?
  • Hi guys,

thanks for the input, after re-tracing my steps the flop didn't give me the straight. Even as a beginner I would have bet the flop if I did have the straight.
    The flop was 6-7-9
    turn- 8
    river- 10

"NL 1/2, 6 ppl in play for the flop with no raises. Player A who won the hand raised to 10 on the turn and I called which left us heads up for the river. On the river he bet 30 and I folded."

Still with top pair I should have bet on the flop I take it. There was 2 hearts on the table with one on the flop and the river card I think.

PokerJAH, for what player had behind, do you mean their chip stack? I am a terrible beginner so thanks for the help!

Thanks guys.
  • So you didn't bet your hand on the flop nor the straight on the turn? Are you sure this is not a made up hand that you are trying to retrofit due to our comments?
  • compuease wrote: »
    So you didn't bet your hand on the flop nor the straight on the turn? Are you sure this is not a made up hand that you are trying to retrofit due to our comments?

Carry on. You'll get little past these guys even if you self deprecate. ;)
  • BOTL76 wrote: »
    PokerJAH, for what player had behind, do you mean their chip stack?

love to know what you thought I meant :)
  • I will be making a dartboard with my face on it. Keep firing away guys:)

LOL
  • I guess the question I would ask is... Would this player bet 10 on the turn without a T? If so, the only hand that beats you on the river is TJ.