Cant stop thinking about this hand

I was in one of the Brantford tournies a few months back and this hand has been gnawing at my conscience.

I cant give exact particulars except to say with about 25 ppl remaining in the tourney my stack and the guy to my left stack were probably in the top 5 chip count at the time of this hand.
Im in the big blind. Blinds are 500-1000 iirc. He is UTG and limps, folded to the blinds-SB calls, i have J-9 and CHECK.

Flop is J A 3 with two clubs. SB checks i 2/3 pot bet. Old man to my left goes all in for like 30,000 or so. If i call im left with about 6000. (again iirc)

Im certain he is on a club draw. Im feeling good about my J being good. Despite my knowing im good at this point, i fold considering whats left considering our stack sizes. Im thinking i dont need to risk it here...or did i?

WHy do i see either play being kind of right, or kind of wrong?

As said in an earlier post i made to compusease, "as far as poker is concerned, im a great euchre player"

tips?
FWIW, i did money in the event, but still i need to know what the moneymakers here would have done.

Comments

• UTG is pretty likely to have a decent holding to start with, possibly a lot of A10 KQ and small pair type hands and not so many small suited connectors unless you've seen him play like that before. If he has a big flushdraw it probably has some overcard outs and straight outs to go with it and if he has an ace or a two pair/set type hand your in too much trouble now.

The only hands you want him to be shipping is small flushdraws that only have 9 outs twice against you and since he probably doesn't have a lot of those in his range, it's a pretty easy fold. Even if he had those hands a bunch of the times though, the main thing is that we're either a small favorite when he has a draw, or a big underdog when he has a hand better than ours so it's extremely risky to get it in and almost never worth it without a stronger holding than we have
  • instead of giving the part of his range you felt he had you should give an overview of

his preflop limping range
    his flop jamming range

even if you think he has a club draw, what club hands do you have him on....

people think the better you are the tighter of a range you will be able to put your oppenent on....but here i think you would do better to expand his range to what you think is possible here and then take a look at what poker stove says...
  • check the flop and maybe call or shove sometimes depending on his sizing and your exact stack (are you like 8BB to start the hand? or 11? or...? exact stack would be nice). If he bets anything legit like 2/3 pot or bigger just fold. Situation sucks a lot now with your pot odds. Also depends on the SB's chips to start the hand unless he is shorter than you.