Your thoughts on this hand?

Situation: Game has being pretty loose as it is very late into the night
UTG (Tight, smi aggresive, stack $200) raise to $15
Hero (97 of diamond, Stack $450) MP before cut off. Called
Small blind (Ultra loose aggresive, Stack $225) Called
Everyone else folded and the flop comes 2d3d2s
UTG bets $20
Hero & Small blind calls
turn comes 7c, UTG check, Hero bets $55, Small blind thank for a min and called. UTG then folded.
River comes 5d, Small blind tank for 30 sec and shove
Is hero good here in this spot?

Comments

• If I"m reading this right (which rarely happens)

The pot on the river is $217, and the SB pushes for $135, giving you a call of $135 into $352 (~2.6:1). The board is a 2-3-2-7-5 flushing in diamonds. And you have the 9 high flush. Given the odds, the description of the SB, this is a call.

Also, unless $>=15 has been standard through the night, bad call pre.

Mark
  • This game is broken, nice spew pre

River I guess is down to a read, no way for us to tell you much given villains line, you probably call and pray

Edit: Bluffing the turn doesn't really make sense either
  • Obviously you lost to a better flush.
  • As played this is a definite call. If you weren't going to call when you made your flush, why call pre? Oh and effective stack is only $200.
    Summary - fold pre... Not deep enough. Welcome to the forum...
  • Thanks for the replies. Yeah standard raise has being around $12 to $15 all night. So what effective stack should be at for a hand like 97 of diamond to have value in calling? I didn't put villain on the flush draw at the turn. I figured he might have trip 2 as he tanked a min, thinking of raising. However, when the flush come he shoves which made me think he might represent a fullhouse.
  • 97 has value at any given bet in any game. I think what you have to look at his what hand ranges to assign to people opening? Every LAG/TAG has a certain pattern of cards they play more often than not in a certain game.

I mean if I am playing 97 I know what board I am looking to hit. In this situation you have a pretty decent flop, not the best but when UTG leads you know he doesn't have any piece of that so you are looking at the stragglers.

In this instance I give UTG some range like maybe 10s-AA a small percent of time, never is UTG holding a deuce. Now you have to worry about everyone else who has come in....with. The call on the turn gives SB two hands flush draw or a deuce, no other hand ranges. The shove on the river leads me to believe he has a deuce and he is trying to rep a stronger hand.

Either way I make a crying call.

I would have rather smashed the flop in position to better define hands here. Going to 65 on the flop would have probably gotten you heads up and a free look at the turn where you hit a nice card and you end up having show down value.

In these situations I like to punish the flop to get a free look at the turn, instead of calling the flop and then having to bet the turn where I don't know where I am at. Technically speaking the bet on the turn is just as good as a check. There are not many hands someone who called the flop is folding to a turn bet.