long time listener, first time caller

I have been studying the game of poker seriously for about a year now. I have not had much experience with live play, and most of it has been limit holdem. I tried a $50 NL shootout tourney organized by some locals in my area. 3 tables of 7 players, with the 2 remaining at each table going to the final table. Players start with $50 in chips, and the blinds are $1/$2 to start.

Anyway, I am known for doing well at our local holdem tourneys, so I get WAY more respect tonight than I deserve. I seem to be reading the others at the table well, and made several steals of blinds to stay afloat, waiting for the big one to come along. About 90 minutes in, the blinds are $3/6, 5 players left, and I am in the BB with 7h2h. 2 players fold, button limps, SB calls.

Button has been checking everytime he misses flop and folds when bet at. He either calls or bets the minimum when he pairs the board. He and I have about the average stacks. SB is chip leader and has been very tight for a while.

Flop is 8d 5h 2c. SB checks, I check, button checks. Turn is 2s. SB checks. I think there is not much of a threat of either player drawing out on me, so I bet the minimum. Button calls, SB folds. I think maybe button has other 2, so I could be outkicked. Gotta be careful. River is 7d. Woohoo! I have a boat! Even if he has the other 2, I feel he would have bet out holding 2 pair on the flop. How much can I get out of him? I bet the minimum, he raises the minimum. What the hell is he doing? He must think I'm bluffing. All-in. He calls without hesitation. I turn over my cards ready to rake in the pot, when he turns over 55. OH NO! I'm down to $8. I go all-in with KsJs on next hand and lose to an A. I'm done.

I would appreciate any and all constructive criticisms of this hand.

Comments

• Good post Kevin, welcome to the forum. I see absolutely nothing wrong with your play on any street here. You don't mention your stack size, which is usually important, but it's not a big factor in this case. You played what sure did look like the best hand slowly, on a non-threatening board. You just got unlucky... I would also lose the maximum here, FWIW.
  • I think you played well until your big re-raise at the end. A call will guarantee your survival, a re-raise might bust you. If he does have a flopped set how would he play it? He might just call the turn since he has the probable nuts and is hoping to lure in the SB. On the river, he has either made a gutshot straight, or he has A2 or he has 5-5 or 88. I favour flat calling his river bet.

It will be very rare in NL hold'em that I will re-re-raise on the river holding a non-nut hand.

And... welcome to the forum.
  • Thank you gentlemen for your comments. They helped to reassure me that I am a player who can handle himself reasonably well when compared to the crowd, but I have a long ways to go yet.

After more reflection, and sharing my misery with my friends at the pool hall, I decided that I let my "limit holdem thinking" sneak into my game last night. When I shared the story with one of my regular poker buddies, he brought it to light for me.

"You felt you were reading your opposition well, that they were giving you plenty of respect. Why would you risk all your chips on a hand with a player behaving differently than you had seen earlier? Call him instead and continue to chip away at everyone at the table. Survival is key. A small win is still a win. Live to fight another day."

I am grateful to know that those who have commented on my play agree that my play up to the re-raise was good. It makes me feel I am on the right track. This was definately an expensive lesson, though. Maybe I'll stick to limit holdem until I iron out a few more kinks in my game.