showing your hand

Just watching the EPT. One of the guys at the final table (Pantaleo) very rarely shows his losing hand (even folded a hand that would have split the pot!!) My question is : in a tournament, if a hand just gets called or it gets checked down, can you ask to see the other guy's cards even if he mucks them? I would think that info would be handy later on.

Comments

• born2cruz wrote: »
    Just watching the EPT. One of the guys at the final table (Pantaleo) very rarely shows his losing hand (even folded a hand that would have split the pot!!) My question is : in a tournament, if a hand just gets called or it gets checked down, can you ask to see the other guy's cards even if he mucks them? I would think that info would be handy later on.
    You can, but it's considered very poor etiquette.
  • thanx compuease. wouldn't want to offend anyone
  • Outta curiosity, why did he muck a hand that would have split the pot? It makes no sense to me.
  • compuease wrote: »

agree. I have seen it a couple of times and it's never pretty. Nothing worse than scooping a players' chips after he mucks and still asking to the hand. You won, move on IMO
  • I've only done it once cause I suspected the 2 players were colluding / chipdumping.
  • Outta curiosity, why did he muck a hand that would have split the pot? It makes no sense to me.

Because he thought his opponent "had" to have a better hand by the showdown . . . terrible move, imo, even if he was beat.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Because he thought his opponent "had" to have a better hand by the showdown . . . terrible move, imo, even if he was beat.

At the levels I play, it never makes sense to muck once you've reached showdown unless the opponent shows first and you're clearly beaten. But then this guy doesn't play at quite the same levels I do. :D
  • compuease wrote: »

Interesting that it is poor etiquette at a live table, but on P* you can go back through the HH and see the losing showdown hands that are mucked. Which I do all the time.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Interesting that it is poor etiquette at a live table, but on P* you can go back through the HH and see the losing showdown hands that are mucked. Which I do all the time.

Yep, I look at every one that is a losing mucked hand as well..just for notes sake.
  • easily enough online for sure, if your more than HU and without doubt your not going to win the pot without bluffing then think its not getting though....hit the fold button and click YUP "im aware what im doing!!"......that hand doesnt get shown period, keep the information you can

I've seen this hand televised. Player who mucked (Pantaleo) only had J high. Commentators noted 'muck equity'. They seem to claim the player who won the pot, with J high, only called because he knew Pantaleo would muck.
  • Both players had J-10. by the river, no board pairs, Jack still the high card. Pantaleo bet out like 1.6 million, when the other player didn't believe him and called, Panyaleo auto-mucked!! I think he was on a big tilt, because he had gone from overwhelming chip leader to bottom stack in about 10 hands of play.
  • I always show at showdown. Cards speak and even if I misread my hand, I might still take the pot. Happened at Milo's tourney, thought I had the same two pair as the other player and flipped it open, turned out I made a better two pair on the river. Oops.

If Ivey had of done that a couple of years ago, he wins a 2 million pot with a flush, instead of mucking the winning hand.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I always show at showdown. Cards speak and even if I misread my hand, I might still take the pot. Happened at Milo's tourney, thought I had the same two pair as the other player and flipped it open, turned out I made a better two pair on the river. Oops.

If Ivey had of done that a couple of years ago, he wins a 2 million pot with a flush, instead of mucking the winning hand.

Ive seen this video, whats more interesting is what Ivey's opponent had that was what he wanted to know......

Something not similar to having the winner happened to me at Seneca recently enough, I declared my hand "Ace high" the guy says show it..."No Ace high, you called me!" again another person got in with show my hand, I flipped up my ace and said "no pair" they were FAR FAR more interested in my hand than they having the winner...the info giving up and off of your winners or losers matters more than the pot depending upon whom your playing with.

I was calm, course not acting that way until I got my chips into the middle fast as I could with my flopped set that held up, but then this was the opportunity I took flipping my hand up when I didnt want to either.

The value of your hand not flipped up to flipped up is FAR FAR more, giving information is often under thought in the game people not knowing what your doing is what matters the most, not the cards you have. (I get paid off enough by never showing, espeically at seneca)