fishing against fish

Is it a smart idea to widen your calling range when isolated preflop by an OOP opponent who has demonstrated a wide range?

I ask because I always fold K9s to a raise but managed to skunk an opponent by rivering a K after he made a standard preflop raise that put us HU, then made a standard contibet I called, then checked on the turn and river.

Comments

• do you use poker stove?
  • darbday wrote: »
    do you use poker stove?

Nope, I find it confusing.
  • damn well just remember no matter how wide his is he still has every best hand in his range. Also that we he plays wide you gain be staying with your default range...you don't have to reallly adjust...
  • You would most likely be better tightening than widening your range against most fish because it simplifies your play later in the hand. Against a fish there is a go
    od chance that you can wait for a premium hand, flop the nuts and still get paid off if 1) they catch as little as second pair
    2) think they can bluff-raise you off your hand
    3)they think you are bluffing and call down

now if you play a marginal starting hand then you put yourself in a spot where you could hit the flop well and get top pair and have no usefull kicker or flop a 2 pair that could be easily dominated.
    For example if you have K9 and hit a flop of K J 2 you will have a top pair hand but are beat by AA KK (unlikely) AK KQ KJ K10 JJ J2 or 22 where as if you are playing the same flop with AK you can far more comfortable get your mone in knowing far fewer hands beat you.

Now lets say you hit 2 pair with a board like KQ9 is this really a spot you want to get your money in as there is now a straight possible plus the KQ has you drawing to 2 outs and then what do you do if the turn is A J 10? Now any king bigger than yours just made a bigger 2 pair and a straight is far more likely. Now if your were playing AK this would not look much better except that you would only have one pair on a wet board making it easier to get away from.

Also a hand like K9 can NEVER make the nut straight using both cards so if your opponent does hold AK and you make a straight then they have the nut straight in a spot where stacks will probably go in. This may come from playing alot of omaha recently but there are rarely any good reasons to play a hand that is not able to make the nuts short of a miricle like flopped quads or an overfull where you likely won't get paid off anyway. These are trouble and likely either going to win a small pot or lose a big one.

Sorry for the long post.
  • Hey, I love long posts! Thanks very much for the wealth of information. What you've told me applies to playing against any kind of opponent, but it's the kind of thinking that argues against indiscriminate looseness in any situation.
  • fish dont isolate you, you isolate the fish. How does a fish isolate you? Do you mean when he 3 bets oop? Are you limping? If so you might be the fish
  • fish dont isolate you, you isolate the fish. How does a fish isolate you? Do you mean when he 3 bets oop? Are you limping? If so you might be the fish

Your post has been reported. Now, let's see what happens.
  • for what? im trying to help
  • I like darbay...... :)
  • Is it a smart idea to widen your calling range when isolated preflop by an OOP opponent who has demonstrated a wide range?

darbday wrote: »
    do you use poker stove?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is the answer to your question.

This is the answer to the question you should be asking.

You need to come to what Steve.693 is talking about yourself.

Seriously... stop reading this forum and play with pokerstove.

Now.