Weird results with KQ

I recently purchased Poker Tracker (it's awesome) and I had an interesting result from my last 400 hands or so at PartyPoker 2/4.

Starting hand which was the most profitable: KQs

Starting hand which was the least profitable: KQo

Perhaps even stranger...

Number of flushes make with KQs: 0

8)

ScottyZ

Comments

• Do you think this could be a result of how confidently you play KQs and how a person is typically less confident playing offsuit connected cards? Do you generally raise preflop with any KQ or just the ones that are suited?

stp
  • That's strange, but not enough data to really identify a trend...

Since I started using Pokertracker again, my least profitable hand has been QQ. But again, that's only about 1000 hands or so, so I imagine (I hope) the law of averages will make QQ the winning hand it should be.

Then again, I probably overplay them.

hork.
  • Do you think this could be a result of how confidently you play KQs and how a person is typically less confident playing offsuit connected cards?

No, I think this is just variance pure and simple. It's only 400 hands, which is about 7 or 8 hours of play online. That's pretty much equivalent to one or two B&M sessions.

In reality, I just happened to catch good boards with the KQs, and I made a couple of second best hands with the KQo.
    That's strange, but not enough data to really identify a trend...

Exactly.
    Do you generally raise preflop with any KQ or just the ones that are suited?

I generally raise pre-flop with neither of these hands in low-limit.
    Since I started using Pokertracker again, my least profitable hand has been QQ.

I think the "monster" hands are generally going to have higher variance. Generally, you'll play them strong (which you probably should do) if you think you've got the best, and it's also easy to get married to this kind of hand even if the flop has threats (which you probably shouldn't do). The bottom line is, you're generally putting more money into the pot with this hand compared to most other hands, therefore, higher variance. So maybe it's not too surprising to see a hand like this show up as the least profitable in the short run.

ScottyZ
  • Scottyz, I downloaded the software to play with. I imported a couple of my recent hand history files... and wow!...talk about information overload!

Nice find.

The software is kind of slow, and probably won't scale up to a large number of hands (its a simple msaccess db in the install dir)..

...55$USD! geeze! its a college project program! It's hillarious (albeit incredibly aware of the community) though that the maker will take cash transfers from any of the major poker sites for payment, or Neteller! ...55....hmmm, why can I not help but think the software owner picked the exact amount equal to a sit&go ;)

Keep us in the loop as to how it handles largish amounts of data.

Thanks for the tip!
  • I purchased PokerTracker a bit ago. I paid 40 bucks for it and it paid for itself. I didnt' post about it on the forum because I didn't want more people finding out about it. I just typed out a whole paragraph prasing its virtues but I deleted it because I reallly shouldn't be advertising it. (Mabybe I should delete the last 3 sentences too).

Getting back to Soctty's question. Here are my stats:
    Total hands tracked: 14,342
    KQs hands: 35 Times, Won $206, $5.89 per hand
    KQo hands: 132 Times, Lost 107.80, -.82 per hand

I hit 5 flushes KQs for a total profit of 109 dollars.

That doesn't add up. So what the hell is going on???

Here's something even more interesting:
    KJs hands: 37, Lost 54.50, $1.47 per hand
    KJo hands: 119, Won 274.25, $2.30 per hand

Now, this makes me really wonder. Am I playing KQo too hard? Am I getting lucky with KJo?

Is this enough hands to be mathematically significant?

OK, so I'm now going to pose anothe question. How good is Q5? Who would stay in with such a powerful hand? Well, me!
    Stats:
    Q5s: hands: 44, Won 110.50, $2.51 per hand
    Q5o: handa: 116, Lost 140.00, $-1.21 per hand
    So now that you know it's my favorite (and only) weak hand to play, should I adjust my playing style? Should I stop playing Q5o, and start playing Qxs, Kxs?

Or is pokertracker just full of crap and I should stop using it?
  • Well, y'all done and convinced me...I'm going to go buy it.

Y'know, for a winning poker player, I sure spend a lot on this hobby.
  • SupaMuncher, you can try it out...the freeware/trial version will let you import up to 1000 hands.

rroar, you showed 14,000 hands...is that the highest you had the software handle? ...did the screens slow down much with 14,000? ...can you look in the app install directory and let us know how large the ptrack.mdb is?

...sorry for the bombard of questions. I'm on the verge of buying the software, but I'm pretty sceptical of its abilities.

Thanks!
  • If only it could go out and get the hand history and tournament history. It appears it can semi-automate the process although the client must be running and you must be logged in.
  • My ptrack.mdb is 73MB. My hhdb is 33MB.

The loading of the stats did slow down a bit. It takes a couple seconds to update the screens after I imort new hands or when I first open the ring games window. I don't know why the guy who wrote the app wouldn't use a SQL Server database. I think you can distribute MSDE for free, and I know the performance would be much better. Maybe he'll do that for version 3?

Even though the program got slower, I still got a lot of value from it and use it whenever I play at party. It more than paid for itself.
  • I see in the registry it has its ODBC connections... ever tried creating a database in another DBMS and pointing to it? It appears to have been written in PB and if he utilitized the datawindow control (as it looks like too) I can see it working.
  • WTF are all these FLA's?
    I see in the registry it has its ODBC connections... ever tried creating a database in another DBMS and pointing to it?

P.S. Don't bother explaining these for my benefit... you went way beyond my technical expertize about 4 or 5 posts ago. :)

ScottyZ
  • OK, so I'm now going to pose anothe question. How good is Q5? Who would stay in with such a powerful hand? Well, me!
    Stats:
    Q5s: hands: 44, Won 110.50, $2.51 per hand
    Q5o: handa: 116, Lost 140.00, $-1.21 per hand
    So now that you know it's my favorite (and only) weak hand to play, should I adjust my playing style? Should I stop playing Q5o, and start playing Qxs, Kxs?

rroarr - Queen Five SUCKS!

Just ask Sloth :D