Phil Ivey Issues Statement - Sues Full Tilt and Boycotts WSOP

From Facebook - Phil Ivey | Facebook

Confirmed by various sources with Ivey's management team that this statement is legit.

For many years, I have been proud to call myself a poker player. This great sport has taken me to places I only imagined going and I have been blessed with much success. It is therefore with deep regret that I believe I am compelled to release the following statement.

I am deeply disappointed and embarrassed that Full Tilt players have not been paid money they are owed. I am equally embarrassed that as a result many players cannot compete in tournaments and have suffered economic harm.
I am not playing in the World Series of Poker as I do not believe it is fair that I compete when others cannot. I am doing everything I can to seek a solution to the problem as quickly as possible.

My name and reputation have been dragged through the mud, through the inactivity and indecision of others and on behalf of all poker players I refuse to remain silent any longer. I have electronically filed a lawsuit against Tiltware related to the unsettled player accounts. As I am sure the public can imagine, this was not an easy decision for me.

I sincerely hope this statement will ignite those capable of resolving the problems into immediate action and would like to clarify that until a solution is reached that cements the security of all players, both US and International, I will, as I have for the last six weeks, dedicate the entirety of my time and efforts to finding a solution for those who have been wronged by the painfully slow process of repayment.

Comments

• Twoplustwo thread on this topic said that it was most likely a fake post.

Phil Ivey Releases Statement - Poker News - News, Views and Gossip
  • Twoplustwo thread on this topic said that it was most likely a fake post.

Phil Ivey Releases Statement - Poker News - News, Views and Gossip

Hmm. Hahaha. Nevermind. I guess wicked chops has said it's real. Crazy.
  • Phil Ivey Releases Statement on Tiltware and WSOP Absence

Bluff and Pokernews saying legit, now up on PhilIvey.com so we are posting on pokernews.ca too
  • this is what the us governement wanted to happen....

please tell me full tilt is refusing to give people their money and its not locked up becuase of the charges from the us governement....Ivey isn't that stupid right?
  • What a nice guy I am!

On another note, the chances are still high you will see me in the wsop.
  • Good for Phil. At least a recognizable name has the stones to make a stand on principle, whether you agree with his side or not. Seem to recall (P5s?) an article about Tilt struggling to secure funds to pay out all the withdrawal requests since Black Friday.
  • Now that was an enlightening link . . . Curious to see how the other "names" at FTP respond . . .
  • For the first time since Black Friday, I'm considering pulling my roll out of FullTilt.

Maybe I should have done it a month and a half ago, but I had faith that a resolution would be quick, or at the very least, players would get their funds back quickly. Stars did a very good job of that actually, but FT is stalling beyond acceptable time frames. Now this...

I have a lot of respect for Phil Ivey (no Philli, not you) and his game. I can understand his resentment with the organization now in light of recent events.

But for Full Tilt to say that its Phil's fault for the delay of repaying players??? ABSURD!!! It was clearly a matter of mismanagement of funds.

Not sure if I should or shouldn't be requesting a withdrawal now. I like playing on FT actually, but this is now starting to spook me abit.
  • Check out Andrew Robl's take on this. Some other Pros are tweeting in support of what Robl is saying.

Andrew Robl My thoughts about Phil Ivey’s Statement + FTP’s non-payment
  • Still can't blame Phil for what he said or has done imo.

Any good business person, who foresees issues that would/could directly impact his/her revenue, would do the same thing. Has what he said/done hurt FT's chances to repaying their players? Possibly...but he did so to protect himself and his bottom line and being a business owner he had to do damage control.

Its not his fault that FT did not have the necessary funds available to pay out like P*'s did. That blame is 100% on Titlware management.
  • when i last read up on everything full tilt had its money frozen by the governement....did this change?
  • No, this is still the case. The difference being that player's monies were pooled at FT into accounts that were seized, where as P* monies were not, so they were able to get those funds unfrozen by the DOJ to pay back the players. FT can't do that because when they pooled it into other accounts, it appeared to be 'dirty' and was seized. From what I've been able to get out of all this anyway.

I think what is happening with Ivey is that FT is asking all their pros to help bail them out. Some are up for it, other's like Ivey are not.
  • Who really knows what is true with the 2 statements.

Does Ivey owe a whole bunch of money to FTP like their statement says? If yes then is Ivey only doing this cause he can't or doesn't want to pay that money back?

Right now it is PR vs PR and if in fact this does go to court, then I guess more details will come out.
  • from the little i've read, i'm kind of hoping ivey isn't as stupid as this might make him out to be.
  • linked up to thread, better ditch the vid...