What do you guys think about this?

I was invited to a home game i think theres about 10 guys who play, and they play NL trny style. buy in is about 100 or 200$. the prize pool is usually 1st and 2nd. when it gets to heads up i think they split the $ based on % of chips as a courtesy to the other players so they can get in as many trnys as possible. So first and second might get 700-300 on a $100 buy in or 1200-800 on a 200$ buy in.

There are no rebuys or addons.

i believe the blinds are

1/2
2/4
3/6
4/8
5/10

and they go up every 15 mins. I believe you only get 40 chips to start!!! each trny lasts about an hour or so.

I heard that there are some loose players who will go all in preflop with AK.

now i am used to playing in trnys where you get 1000 chips and blinds are 25/50. Since the blind to starting chip count ratio is the same should i expect the hands to play the same or something different with the diminished chip count.

Should i just treat this as a normal trny with a higher buy in. Please let me hit the top 2 in a couple of these trnys tonight.... lol

Comments

• and they go up every 15 mins. I believe you only get 40 chips to start!!! each trny lasts about an hour or so.

This sounds very bingo-esque. 20 blinds to start. Blinds going up every 15min? You won't even make an orbit of the table in that time. A tourney lasting an hour? Ridiculous in a live game, online 1 table SNG may take an1.5 to 2 hours, but you can get in way more hands than a live game. Personally I'd sooner cut the deck for a 100 bucks, at least this way no-one has illusions that this is some sort of poker tourney.
    I heard that there are some loose players who will go all in preflop with AK.

I wouldn't call going in preflop with one of the best hands in HE a loose play. Aggressive, but not loose, and in this kind of crapshoot, likely a very good play.

As for a "strategy" to play in this? Hope to catch a hand and push.
  • update its 50 chips to start with and blinds go up every 10 mins..... please oh please let me draw the dealer spot
  • ok heres the deal.... went last night

you start with $40 in chips and blind double every 10 mins (1/2 to start). there is a professional dealer. the winner should tip the dealer 40$. buy in was 100+10. we got 10 players so the prize pool was 1000$. anyway, they play down to 2 players and then the 2 of them can make a deal. i ended up tied with a guy give or take a few chips so we split 500$ each. I busted out a couple of times in 4th which isnt too bad for my rookie entry into one of these tournies. My last tourney i played, i could have came 2nd but i called a desparate all in by the other guy who was short stacked. I had pocket 9s and he had K10. he caught a K on the river. I woulda been about even with the other 2 players, but oh well, what can you do.

All in all i was up $30 by the end of the night (3.5 hours of playing).

One thing I noted, a lot of aggressive playing....one guy called an all in with bottom pair and ended up catching trips on the river.

If you can catch a fairly big hand before the blinds become 4/8, then you should be fine otherwise the blinds eat you up.

there was one trny that lasted all of 20 mins, one guy ate everybody up....but he had good hands.
  • "One thing I noted, a lot of aggressive playing"

With a blind structure like that aggresive is the only way to play, you need to expand your range of starting hands. Playing a solid game the blinds will eat you alive.
  • I think there may be terminology problem here. Playing more starting hands and calling an all-in bet with bottom pair are examples of playing loosely, not aggressively.

When all the stacks are short, I'd say that you most definitely have to play more loosely in order to avoid getting eaten up by the blinds. However, I used to play in many of these tournaments, and found that a loose-passive style works best.

Of course, your initial reaction may be that you instantly hate this approach because is goes against conventional poker wisdom. Well, 20 Big Blind initial stack, 10 minute level blind increase freezeouts are not conventional poker. Generally speaking, deep stacks prefer tight-aggresive play.

I've played quite a few quick tourneys with similar blind structures, and I can't remember ever running a significant bluff (apart from blind stealing) in one of these. The problem with the short stacks is that to run any kind of bluff (into a pot worth bluffing at) is always going to require using a large portion (or possibly all) of your stack.

So how do you get the chips? Well, there are two basic principles I think.

1. You are hoping that typical opponents will be playing too aggressively, so you want to pick them off when you have a decent (put possibly not a great) hand. Remember, you are playing loosely yourself so you might be making some calls you'd never even consider making in a "standard" tournament. Getting a line on your opponents' value betting/bluffing patterns is vital to making this work.

2. Simulate aggressive play yourself. Push a lot of chips when you hit a big hand. Note that I don't usually classify betting a lot when you have a big hand as being particularly "aggressive". Perhaps the overall style I'm trying to get across is loose-passive but straightforwardly aggressive on big hands.

These may seem contradictory (i.e. "What do I do with a good hand? Pick off my opponent, or bet it strongly?"). I'm thinking more along the lines of marginal hands in #1, and moster hands in #2. Once again, this approach probably sounds strange, because it's almost the exact opposite of a "standard" tournament approach.

ScottyZ
  • Sorry... long overdue response.

If the tournament are only lasting an hour then a skillful player has a profitable, skill based, situation.
    online 1 table SNG may take an1.5 to 2 hours
    This is not my experience. I have the PartyPoker format about 45 minutes and the other sites about 1 hour. 1:15 is a long sit-n-go. I don't believe I have ever made it two hours in a single table SNG.
  • Most SNG's usually last an hour, give or take 10 minutes. The 10 minutes is usually on the less than side of the hour in my experiences.

Quick question. Do the last 2 players always make the deal to split according to chip counts?

And with this fast pace style tourneys, how much time are they really saving by doing this? ( not that I think it's a good or bad idea )

Where does the +$10.00 go?

This might be the real reason for the small amount of starting chips, aggressi9ve blind structure and the heads up deals at the end of each tourney?

Sounds like fun !!!
  • online 1 table SNG may take an1.5 to 2 hours

You're right, my bad. I was just guesstimating, but my point was that there is a big difference between the #hands dealt/hr online vs. that of a typical home poker tourney. (I know I may possibly be the world's worst shuffler) :smile:

Upon inspection of my SNG times the longest I've seen is 1h30m, the shortest being 45m, with the average being probably a little over an hour. As well this is on Stars, which I believe has a less aggressive blind structure than some of the other sites. Avg. times on other sites may well be under an hour...
  • No the 2 players dont always make a deal, sometimes they will finish it up heads up, but since there are other players waiting for another trny, they usually split.

One trny lasted all of 20 mins!!

One guy rolled over everone by becoming big stacked and calling alot of all-ins great cards and some lucky pulls.

the $10 goes to the organizer who serves free food.

Xsqueezeme wrote:

Quick question. Do the last 2 players always make the deal to split according to chip counts?

And with this fast pace style tourneys, how much time are they really saving by doing this? ( not that I think it's a good or bad idea )

Where does the +$10.00 go?

This might be the real reason for the small amount of starting chips, aggressi9ve blind structure and the heads up deals at the end of each tourney?

Sounds like fun !!!
  • Well the food cant be free if he makes $10 x 10 players x 3 -5 games = 300-500 bucks to feed 10 people? What are you eating, caviar?