limit holdem strategy questions

I have a few limit holdem strategy questions I'd like to get input on from the people here.

1. Usually, I only play small pairs and hands like suited connectors if I'm in late position for only one bet and there have been a couple of callers already. Basically, I'm wondering whether there is ever a situation where it's worth calling two bets cold with these speculative hands.

2. I see a lot of players raising before the flop in mid to late position with hands that are not normally good raising hands like K-J or K-10 or Q-J, even when there are already people in the pot. I remember I actually went through a phase where I was doing this. I have since stopped this, but my thinking at the time was that since people have limped to this point there's a good chance that my hand is a favourite, if only a mild one. The raise also had some added bonuses in the sense that it usually meant that I was last to act after the flop and that it made me look like an action player. So, I'm wondering if there is any wisdom to this sort of strategy or am I basically better off limping in as well and seeing what the flop gives me.

3. Is it always wrong to slowplay aces before the flop? I'm not talking about in a very loose game where there will always be six or seven players seeing the flop no matter what it costs, but what about a game where there is an average of four or less players seeing the flop and people will actually fold to a raise. Let's say I'm in middle position in one of these games with pocket aces and someone before me has already raised. If I'm the second person in I think I might want to just call and see if I can get one or two more callers. Is this bad strategy? People always say "if you'd have raised there you would have got that guy out" but don't I want inferior hands to call me? Won't the pots I win more than make up for the ones I lose? Am I wrong to think in limit holdem that when I have aces, before the flop my main concern is building the biggest pot as opposed to getting people out?

Thanks guys for any advice

Comments

• My opinion on #3 is that u should play it to get the most callers, however if there has not been a raise before u then u should probably do this. Then if someone in an early position bets into u, u can give their hand more respect and have to assume that maybe they hit 2 pair or a really good draw. If you dont raise preflop, then someone may bet hard on top pair (like tens or somethin) and its hard for u to raise them with the possibility that maybe they have hit 2 pair also.
    Lets suppose a junk flop hits the board and u know that your hand is best, u can check the flop and usually people will put you on AK suited or something like this, so I find a lot of times people will bet into you on the turn, and u can pump them and hopefuly a few others for a 2 bet. A lot of people will struggle to fold if they have top pair now because u checked a turn card. A lot of people dont think you will have a pocket pair after a slow play on the flop after there has been a preflop raise by you. This has been my experience anyways and I have been very sucessful with pocket A's and K's
  • Usually, I only play small pairs and hands like suited connectors if I'm in late position for only one bet and there have been a couple of callers already. Basically, I'm wondering whether there is ever a situation where it's worth calling two bets cold with these speculative hands.
    I have the same criterion for implied odds hands – at least two limpers before me. There are situations in which a hand like 8-7s can be played profitably for two bets, but they are not common and it is often hard to know in advance. Suppose there are three limpers and then a raise. You figure that the limpers all have random high cards and that the raise is "legitimate" (A-K, A-A to J-J). In that case, your 8-7s will have a little better that 20% pot equity. Narrowly profitable if played Monte Carlo style. But, you will fold it on the flop if it misses and continue with a good draw (and there will be a lot of good draws) or a good hand on the flop. So, you can play this hand profitably in this situation.

The problem, of course, is knowing the precise situation you are in. It’s very difficult to know. Having said that, I will often raise after a string of limpers with a hand like 8-7s on the button (or in the big blind). It is very high variance play, but is marginally profitable. Even if it is a marginally losing play it give you the image of being a wild gambler at almost no cost.
    I see a lot of players raising before the flop in mid to late position with hands that are not normally good raising hands like K-J or K-10 or Q-J, even when there are already people in the pot. I remember I actually went through a phase where I was doing this. I have since stopped this, but my thinking at the time was that since people have limped to this point there's a good chance that my hand is a favourite, if only a mild one. The raise also had some added bonuses in the sense that it usually meant that I was last to act after the flop and that it made me look like an action player. So, I'm wondering if there is any wisdom to this sort of strategy or am I basically better off limping in as well and seeing what the flop gives me.
    To quote a little known poker writer: "Bet with the best, good draw to invest, fold all the rest." I like your original thinking. It is reasonably likely that you have the best hand. Raise. Once again, you are adding variance but also adding profits. However, like all things, you will need to play well post flop to make a profit. So, if you are confident in your post-flop play go ahead and add variance – raise. If you are a new player and are still learning I recommend limping in and lowering your variance.
    Is it always wrong to slowplay aces before the flop? I'm not talking about in a very loose game where there will always be six or seven players seeing the flop no matter what it costs, but what about a game where there is an average of four or less players seeing the flop and people will actually fold to a raise. Let's say I'm in middle position in one of these games with pocket aces and someone before me has already raised. If I'm the second person in I think I might want to just call and see if I can get one or two more callers. Is this bad strategy? People always say "if you'd have raised there you would have got that guy out" but don't I want inferior hands to call me? Won't the pots I win more than make up for the ones I lose? Am I wrong to think in limit holdem that when I have aces, before the flop my main concern is building the biggest pot as opposed to getting people out?
    Aces play well short handed or into BIG fields. With aces, it doesn’t matter. Bring on the callers. There is nothing wrong with slow playing them pre flop. Once again, however, you are adding profits AND variance.
  • 1. I will cold-call with a PP if I think there will be 5 to the flop (not including myself, i.e. 4 others). So if there's a raise and a cold-call in front of me, and there's two very loose players after me, I will cold-call, because on average, at least 1 of the loose players after me will also cold-call, and one of the blinds will stay in as well. You're 8.5 to 1 to hit a monster, so I think implied odds are enough to justify a cold-call.

With suited connectors however, you're looking to flop a draw, and after you flop the draw (5 to 1 for a flush draw I believe?) in, you're still only 2 to 1 to make your flush. So I won't cold-call with suited connectors nearly as much as I will with pocket pairs.

2. KJ is a raise for me in late position with 2 limpers or less, unless one of them is especially tight. KT and QT are limps. And with any more than 2 limpers, KJ is a limp as well. Basically, with KJ in late position, I raise because there's a good chance that I have more than a slight edge over the 2 limpers hands. With KT and QT, I think my edge is smaller, and in a big multi-way pot with KJ, again, my pre-flop edge is not that great, so I would try to limp and push hard on a favorable flop.

3. In a game like you describe, I think it's an easy 3-bet. There's already been an EP raise, which might drive players in middle to late position with marginal hands out. Go ahead and 3-bet it. I don't think you'd mind this pot being heads up, with someone showing strength already.
  • Thanks for the input. One other question if I may:

What about raising in the blinds? I had a discussion with this one guy who was next to me at the table about this. I was in the small blind with A-Q and no one had raised when it got to me, so I raised. The guy next to me, who seemed to be a sharp guy, was in the big blind and said "you'd have to have aces or kings to raise from the blinds". Is this guy right? Since no one raised, I think it's safe to say A-Q is the best hand at the moment, or at least has the best chance of winning. Is this offset by the disadvantage of position? And along the same lines as the previous question, if you think it's worth raising from the blinds with a hand like A-Q because you think it's probably the best hand right now, does that mean you should raise with the hands you might raise with from late position (K-Q, K-J) if you think they might be the best hand at this point?
  • Your pal is wrong. If A-Q is the favourite pre-flop then a raise will add to your profits. But, it will make the pot so big that NOBODY will fold. So, you will add variance. Any hand that can outdraw you WILL out draw you because they will NOT fold post-flop. That's OK. You will come out ahead in the long run.

Sklansky often advocates raising to limit the field (by the way, a thorough understanding of Sklansky will go a LONG way towards making anyone a great player). In my experience, in the games that I play in, the main reason to raise it because they WILL call with weak hands.
  • Yup, raise anytime you think you have a pre-flop equity edge, except in cases where your edge may be very small, i.e. AJo after 4 limpers (regain the equity lost by strong postflop play in this situation). If people have already made a mistake by limping with weak hands, punish them by forcing them to put in another bet.
  • You can generalize, but optimum strategy can vary quite a bit from game to game. Loose/Tight and Aggressive/Passive can really change what the most "profitable" play is. That's why you'll see differences in strategy from HPFAP and SSH.