10nl line check vs nit

2»

Comments

• darbday wrote: »
    im all about arguements like this, and don't feel your being ganged up on, im planning on coming to play some fr euro poker with you (for fun)....but this takes away all your credibility.......

in other words, you have no idea how fast this man could have you crushing 50 or 100 nl.....because of your style.

Right. If Vekked was Reibs coach he would have received the following advice:
    Originally Posted by Vekked
    if someone threw away your call button and you could only 3-bet or fold, and AKs wasn't strong enough to 3-bet for value, you should bluff with it then.

So he is advocating bluffing a 46bb stack with an UTG range that is presumably 3% of all hands. You realize that a standard sized bluff 3bet has to work > 60% of the time right to be profitable right? I'm sure that if I keep my mouth shut and reibs posts a few more hands that Vekked will have him crushing 100nl in no time.
    Firstly, saying "By 3betting however, you wind up pot committed. So by turning this hand into a bluff you are risking 46bb to try and win 6.5bb." is kind of dumb. Clearly you don't 3-bet bluff then call it off...

This is where the 'personal attack started'. It was a very stupid comment on this part because he lashed out at me without even thinking and his math was way off. For me, I don't need to do the math to know that I'm pot committed - I just am - its rather obvious when you invest that much pre and a shortstack shoves. I laid out the math for Vekked at that point which would have been a good opportunity to say something like "Hey man that was pretty 'dumb' of me to say what you were saying was 'kind of dumb' when you were actually right!".

I never asked for any credibility from anybody in this forum. I started chatting in here with you guys because it looked like a cool forum - not as active as I would like - but cool nonetheless. Right away I had to 'prove' myself but realized later that it was just a misunderstanding because you guys had been trolled by some guy named 'Fed'.

I made a video because I thought that maybe somebody might benefit from watching it. I wanted to help.

I started engaging in the debate in this thread with the intention of helping the OP as well as myself by organizing my own thoughts and working through some math and hand ranges.

If my actions in this thread, and in this forum in general thus far have caused you view me in a negative light then that is perfectly fine with me. I think that if the shoe was on the other foot and I was the one who orginally called Vekked's thought process 'kinda dumb' then it would not have taken so long to notify me of losing all credibility with you.

I guess in your eyes, I need to watch what I say and how I say it, but if it comes from Vekked its okay, even if his comment was rude and blatantly incorrect. What do you say about that?
    reibs wrote: »
    I don't think you have lost any credibility BB :baffled:

I think you actually demonstrated the opposite. Your answers seem to be well thought out and conveyed pretty well. Whether or not the points are correct is what we are still trying to figure out and why I have a lot to learn! There are many different ways to play this game, and not everyone will always agree. So lets not get personal here in pfc. The argument is great, but leave the personal attacks out guys. This aint 2+2.

We all know Vekked has the results to back up his strategy too, which is great! I wish I could crush like him ... Im not sure how much micro cash he's played though, and I know bowlboy lives there (and beats it pretty good long term), so his points definitely have merit. From what I gathered, Vekked plays mostly tournies, but maybe Im wrong.

Dont want to take anything away from either of you, since I can learn a lot from you both...

The most intellightent post in this thread imo. Thank you. I'm glad to see that my ranting has not been a complete waste of time here. At the very least I may have inspired you to dig deeper and question blanket statements like 'never fold here' or 'always raise there'.

The part about Vekked being more of a tourney player makes a lot of sense. Preflop ranges in tournies change more based on stack sizes and blind levels. I could see the same player in a SNG playing the same way with a much wider range under different circumstances.

In cash games however, ranges are much more static. A guy who plays 10/3 over a significant sample is like 99% guaranteed following a hand chart by memory. He might deviate from it like 1% of the time probably by the odd misclick but there are no blind increases to worry about so they can continue with their same strategy indefinitely.
    compuease wrote: »
    ^^^ +1, well said Reibs, couldn't agree more... You all have your own styles, your own specialities, and your own methadologies. I don't think it's wrong to have differing opinions at all... If we all thought exactly the same, how boring this place would be. (However my opinion is the right one. ^-^ )
    And as Reibs says, keep it non personal and this place will continue to be a great sounding board.

++1
    I find it strange that we think villian here is incapable of ever playing out of his normal range. That he never tilts or steams, 1000 hands multi tabling with a guy isnt that big of a sample to say that for sure this guys range is QQ+ or AK is it? Im 100% tourney player and sng player so I know my thought process is definatly different then that of a cash player, but I do agree if you know that this guy is a nit why are we 3 betting here? Rule number 1 to 3-betting, always know what your reaction to a 4-bet will be, it should never be a shock to you. But Is anyone here ever gonna fold AKs to a 5x raiser ever?

Villain is capable of deviating from his normal range, but its going to be extremely rare. I think I already addressed some of the relevant differences between tourneys in cash above.

Folding AKs to a 5x raise is going to be 'dumb' like 99% of the time. This is imo a rare case where AKs is a significant dog preflop to villain's range, the preflop raise is > 10% of effective stacks, there is no room to maneuvre postflop due to the fact that if we call the SPR is a mere 3.5 which means you are going to be pot committed on any A or K flop.
  • TheBowlBoy wrote: »
    Right. If Vekked was Reibs coach he would have received the following advice:

So he is advocating bluffing a 46bb stack with an UTG range that is presumably 3% of all hands. You realize that a standard sized bluff 3bet has to work > 60% of the time right to be profitable right? I'm sure that if I keep my mouth shut and reibs posts a few more hands that Vekked will have him crushing 100nl in no time.

This is where the 'personal attack started'. It was a very stupid comment on this part because he lashed out at me without even thinking and his math was way off. For me, I don't need to do the math to know that I'm pot committed - I just am - its rather obvious when you invest that much pre and a shortstack shoves. I laid out the math for Vekked at that point which would have been a good opportunity to say something like "Hey man that was pretty 'dumb' of me to say what you were saying was 'kind of dumb' when you were actually right!".

I never asked for any credibility from anybody in this forum. I started chatting in here with you guys because it looked like a cool forum - not as active as I would like - but cool nonetheless. Right away I had to 'prove' myself but realized later that it was just a misunderstanding because you guys had been trolled by some guy named 'Fed'.

I made a video because I thought that maybe somebody might benefit from watching it. I wanted to help.

I started engaging in the debate in this thread with the intention of helping the OP as well as myself by organizing my own thoughts and working through some math and hand ranges.

If my actions in this thread, and in this forum in general thus far have caused you view me in a negative light then that is perfectly fine with me. I think that if the shoe was on the other foot and I was the one who orginally called Vekked's thought process 'kinda dumb' then it would not have taken so long to notify me of losing all credibility with you.

I guess in your eyes, I need to watch what I say and how I say it, but if it comes from Vekked its okay, even if his comment was rude and blatantly incorrect. What do you say about that?

The most intellightent post in this thread imo. Thank you. I'm glad to see that my ranting has not been a complete waste of time here. At the very least I may have inspired you to dig deeper and question blanket statements like 'never fold here' or 'always raise there'.

The part about Vekked being more of a tourney player makes a lot of sense. Preflop ranges in tournies change more based on stack sizes and blind levels. I could see the same player in a SNG playing the same way with a much wider range under different circumstances.

In cash games however, ranges are much more static. A guy who plays 10/3 over a significant sample is like 99% guaranteed following a hand chart by memory. He might deviate from it like 1% of the time probably by the odd misclick but there are no blind increases to worry about so they can continue with their same strategy indefinitely.

++1

Villain is capable of deviating from his normal range, but its going to be extremely rare. I think I already addressed some of the relevant differences between tourneys in cash above.

Folding AKs to a 5x raise is going to be 'dumb' like 99% of the time. This is imo a rare case where AKs is a significant dog preflop to villain's range, the preflop raise is > 10% of effective stacks, there is no room to maneuvre postflop due to the fact that if we call the SPR is a mere 3.5 which means you are going to be pot committed on any A or K flop.
    This is a problem why?
    And from an outsider looking in, it seems like you took vekked's comment when he said it was kind of dumb a little personal and have continued with sarcastic remarks in this post. Vekked is one of the top winning players on this forum prob better to make a friend of him instead of an enemy lol He clearly made a mistake by not realising that the open raiser had 46 BB which he already stated in an earlier post, yet you continue to attack that comment. Time to get over it and move on from that.
  • This is a problem why?

It is a problem because when all the money goes in you are usually going to be chopping at best and will often be crushed. I am speaking from experience in micro fr cash which is what we're talking about and when a 10/3 opens with JJ+, AK and the flop comes A or K high - most of the time that the money goes in the worst hand he shows up with is TPTK. On a AQx flop your AK is going to be crushed by his stack off range because he shows up with QQ, AA and AK while folding JJ and KK.
    And from an outsider looking in, it seems like you took vekked's comment when he said it was kind of dumb a little personal and have continued with sarcastic remarks in this post.

Actually I admit I took it more than a little personal. I was trying to have an intelligent debate over the hand and he started an attack by bringing the word dumb into the conversation. It was rude, plain and simple. Have I retaliated with a bit of my own hostility? Yes. I don't think I have been sarcastic though. Perhaps you should check the meaning of sarcasm.
    Vekked is one of the top winning players on this forum prob better to make a friend of him instead of an enemy lol

I have no doubt that he is probably a winning MTT player. It wouldn't surprise me that he is a big winner. That does not necessarily make him correct here and judging by his posts itt I would be very surprised if he is a winning cash player. There are a lot of big MTT winners who do not adjust well to cash games and vice versa. When it comes to donkaments I am a donk for sure and would in know way be calling anybody's thoughts on a SNG or MTT hand dumb because I am not qualified to do so.
    He clearly made a mistake by not realising that the open raiser had 46 BB which he already stated in an earlier post, yet you continue to attack that comment. Time to get over it and move on from that.

This is incorrect. Vekked gave his reasoning for why he said what he said here:
    The reason I said that your specific reply to why your conclusion was "kind of dumb", is because your reason for why 3-bet bluffing is bad = your reason why 3-betting for value is bad

I've gone back into my posts to double check and I have never said itt that 3betting for value and as a bluff are bad for the same reasons. I broke down my thought process in a detailed point by point fashion on why I think you cannot 3bet for value here, and why I think 3bet bluffing is bad. So either his reading comprehension is poor or he is just making stuff up as he goes.

Its very frustrating to try and have a reasonable debate regarding a hand when people start claiming that you've said things that you have not.

The truth is, I think that I have something of legitimate value to offer to this community even if I don't always have the correct answer I do at least have a thorough thought process. Most people in poker forums are satisfied with hearing the 'what', but without the 'why' the 'what' is pretty much useless in terms of growing as a player.

Attacking somebody with comments like 'that is kinda dumb' do not help anybody and only instigate. How would most people react to this comment if they were trying to engage in an intelligent conversation and put a decent amount of thought into their posts? Most people are going to view this behaviour in the same way that I have. Not a good thing for this community imo to welcome new members with such negative comments. There are many better ways to go about disagreeing with somebody without insulting their intelligence. How about "I disagree with this point because of reasons a, b, c etc?
  • If you take a comment as small as "thats kind of dumb" this personal you probably wont like this forum lol
    " I'm sure that if I keep my mouth shut and reibs posts a few more hands that Vekked will have him crushing 100nl in no time."
    This sounds like sarcasm to me lol
    It was rude, plain and simple.

how about blunt

TheBowlBoy wrote: »

Have I retaliated with a bit of my own hostility? Yes.
    allowed.
    I don't think I have been sarcastic though. Perhaps you should check the meaning of sarcasm.
    this is funny because its sarcastic
    judging by his posts itt I would be very surprised if he is a winning cash player.

....at what level though.....cause i thought this was an odd thing to say...
    There are a lot of big MTT winners who do not adjust well to cash games and vice versa. When it comes to donkaments I am a donk for sure and would in know way be calling anybody's thoughts on a SNG or MTT hand dumb because I am not qualified to do so.
    im counting on you to do so
    So either his reading comprehension is poor or he is just making stuff up as he goes.
    naaawwwwwwww
    Its very frustrating to try and have a reasonable debate regarding a hand when people start claiming that you've said things that you have not.
    yes but you said earlier this didn't frustrate you....

The truth is, I think that I have something of legitimate value to offer to this community
    yup
    Attacking somebody with comments like 'that is kinda dumb' do not help anybody and only instigate. How would most people react to this comment if they were trying to engage in an intelligent conversation and put a decent amount of thought into their posts? Most people are going to view this behaviour in the same way that I have. Not a good thing for this community imo to welcome new members with such negative comments. There are many better ways to go about disagreeing with somebody without insulting their intelligence. How about "I disagree with this point because of reasons a, b, c etc?

i agree but here its everyones favorite thing here.....sometimes they make open threads where they just go in and call each other dumb....sometimes we discuss poker too...
    how about blunt

I would call it blunt if it was true.

allowed.
    Great then I get my credibility back :)

this is funny because its sarcastic
    Open to interpretation.

....at what level though.....cause i thought this was an odd thing to say...
    This doesn't make any sense...

im counting on you to do so
    you'll be dissapointed :)

naaawwwwwwww
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.................
    yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

yes but you said earlier this didn't frustrate you....

You sir are mistaken. You're doing the exact same thing. Saying I've said things that I haven't.

i agree but here its everyones favorite thing here.....sometimes they make open threads where they just go in and call each other dumb....sometimes we discuss poker too...
    I don't believe that it is everyone's favorite thing to come into threads calling an idea dumb when they have no idea what they're talking about.

A more correct statement might be "There a is this guy in this forum that likes to look at a post and say 'Hey that's dumb... I mean I actually dunno what I'm talking about but ya I just felt like saying that yo'"

Maybe there is more than one guy and I'll figure that out in time.

1 Great then I get my credibility back :)

2 This doesn't make any sense...

3 You sir are mistaken. You're doing the exact same thing. Saying I've said things that I haven't.

4 I don't believe that it is everyone's favorite thing to come into threads calling an idea dumb when they have no idea what they're talking about.

5 Maybe there is more than one guy and I'll figure that out in time.
    1 ya but you have to rebuild it everyday its fun that way

2 i mean if you say someone isn't profitable in cash or not likely then you need to state a level or maybe you think vekked can't beat 25nl

3 ya thats funny hey?

4 no it is here most anyways

5 ya your kinda slow in that realization (but not dumb that would be blunt)
    1 ya but you have to rebuild it everyday its fun that way

2 i mean if you say someone isn't profitable in cash or not likely then you need to state a level or maybe you think vekked can't beat 25nl

3 ya thats funny hey?

4 no it is here most anyways

5 ya your kinda slow in that realization (but not dumb that would be blunt)

1 I don't actually feel its necessary to gain any credibility from you or anybody else. FWIW you may find you are better able to construct an intelligent post without having one hand cupping Vek's nut sack.

2 You are the one that orginally made the claim that Vekked could have me beating 100nl in no time. I am saying that I find it highly unlikely that he has beat 100nl over any decent sample due to the things he has posted itt.

3 Not really. You're deliberately trying to annoy me at this point because I disagreed with your bff.

4 I've read a lot of stuff in this forum and haven't found much of this except from trolls.

5 Another retarded comment by you.
  • Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!:D.

Bowlboy keep fighting the good fight!:)

Seeing a new side of darb, like angry darb,lol outta weed?:p

I say bowlboy vs vekked on the felt!:wink2:
  • Someone is a little full of themself, not gonna say who though :P
  • LOL omg this thread's turning out great.

Bowlboy -
    u need to breathe man, there was no "personal attack". I just said that exact quote is kind of dumb, it doesn't make sense to say that by bluffing ur risking 46BB because that is assuming ur 3bet/calling as a bluff, since when was 3-bet calling ever considered a bluff???? that is my point in there as simply as I can put it. If 3-bet/calling is a bluff, yet 3-bet/calling is also what we do for value, how can it be both??

Yes I play MTTs as my main game, I also have been getting into 100NL FR (Vekked on Stars). I feel like I'm at least somewhat qualified to add some insight to a 10NL hand involving a <50BB stack. I didn't mean to attack u personally but I honest can't fathom how u function in reality if u tool this hard over the phrase "kind of dumb".

I just read the that u find it hard to believe that I can beat 100NL. I mean... I don't know what to even say to this, but 100NL is kind of a joke compared to the level of play I'm accustomed to in HSMTTs already. I guess we'll see though, since I plan on putting in a lot more hands over the summer.
  • Just getting back in now from Niagara.. Played 1/2 for like 8 hours at the same table... lol, my wife made more than me at slots so that tells you what sort of day I had... Good times though, I saw one older lady stack off $350. bucks on a board of AAKKx, she had a K and villian had an A. This was multiple raises and reraises on turn and river... How she could not just call at some point was unfathomable to me... However... it is live 1/2...

Now back to this thread, look guys this is not 2+2, name calling is frowned upon, however I see no direct name calling here, calling a play dumb, etc is not the same... BowlBoy, Vekked, et all, you are all valued members here and obviously have your own opinions and specialities as I noted before. As someone said, take a breath and relax... By all means continue to voice opinions but don't get all thin skinned on me... The ban hammer has not been out in a while... ^-^
  • Vekked wrote: »
    LOL omg this thread's turning out great.

Bowlboy -
    u need to breathe man, there was no "personal attack". I just said that exact quote is kind of dumb, it doesn't make sense to say that by bluffing ur risking 46BB because that is assuming ur 3bet/calling as a bluff, since when was 3-bet calling ever considered a bluff???? that is my point in there as simply as I can put it. If 3-bet/calling is a bluff, yet 3-bet/calling is also what we do for value, how can it be both??

Yes I play MTTs as my main game, I also have been getting into 100NL FR (Vekked on Stars). I feel like I'm at least somewhat qualified to add some insight to a 10NL hand involving a <50BB stack. I didn't mean to attack u personally but I honest can't fathom how u function in reality if u tool this hard over the phrase "kind of dumb".

I just read the that u find it hard to believe that I can beat 100NL. I mean... I don't know what to even say to this, but 100NL is kind of a joke compared to the level of play I'm accustomed to in HSMTTs already. I guess we'll see though, since I plan on putting in a lot more hands over the summer.

Once again you don't seem to get that any 3bet preflop in this hand leaves you pot committed so yes if you plan to bluff you are effectively risking 46bb. Min raising = shoving in THIS SPOT. This is like the 5th time I've explained this to you and you still don't get it.

Sigh.
    Once again you don't seem to get that any 3bet preflop in this hand leaves you pot committed so yes if you plan to bluff you are effectively risking 46bb. Min raising = shoving in THIS SPOT. This is like the 5th time I've explained this to you and you still don't get it.

Sigh.

Br34th3.
    I don't actually feel its necessary to gain any credibility from you or anybody else.
    What DO you you feel .....?
    FWIW you may find you are better able to construct an intelligent post without having one hand cupping Vek's nut sack.
    no....see i know it sounds like that because 100nl can seem like a big step but the players in his class crush 100nl i know this because i cross reference them, no real idea how his cash game is but he can crush 100nl if he chooses....its not nut hugging, just pointing out youre way off base and it might be affecting the overall conversation.

I feel like this might turn to me so ill just say 25nl crushes me because i lack what you have....i can't stop putting me chips in the pot.
    You are the one that orginally made the claim that Vekked could have me beating 100nl in no time. I am saying that I find it highly unlikely that he has beat 100nl over any decent sample due to the things he has posted itt
    i am saying he has the tool set that you need to adjust to that level. this is a fact, whether he can beat it or not.
    Not really. You're deliberately trying to annoy me at this point because I disagreed with your bff.

it doesn't bother me the slightest bit that your saying these things but i wasn't trying to come across like this.
    I've read a lot of stuff in this forum and haven't found much of this except from trolls.

i think you were reading the buy and sell section only though

here: http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/48-2-9-3-a-25086/

argument for stupiditys sake.....please read the topic and comment

but ya pretty much every thread is an argument for no reason, like the bad beats section

id actually like to argue that you can't have a thread without an arguement of some form
    Another retarded comment by you.

again if i called you retarded it wasn't meant to come across like this. but im not sure if youre trying to suggest im not intellegent....either way i think you should check out the thread on 'what is intellegence' please read the topic and comment there. feel free to argue with whatever is there
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Seeing a new side of darb, like angry darb,lol outta weed?:p

you...little...trouble maker....you wanna see an angry darb.....?

darth-yoda.jpg
  • Has darth yoda ever come out in tournaments?:wink2: