checking dark

Just wondering opinions once the betting has concluded pre-flop, if your UTG BB or SB something like that with first to act, checking or betting dark...who does it, who likes it, adds new or different action in its own, no hands in particular on size or what not...helps when you flop a hand and checked though too

Comments

• the only time i would ever even consider making a dark play would be when i'm playing with friends in a not serious game for not a lot of money.
  • I've checked the turn dark in tournaments a couple of times to disguise my hand after flopping a set OOP and check calling the flop
  • with your opponents being last to act, it just puts it right on them without you making a mistake, ya you could bet it but, the easy look it puts complete disguise of the hand you have, in the dark you cant act...lol
  • getem76 wrote: »
    it just puts it right on them without you making a mistake, ya you could bet it but, the easy look it puts complete disguise of the hand you have, in the dark you cant act...lol

Are you trying to spew random words that seem kinda on topic but lack any meaning when put together just to confuse me? <.< Good job in that case
  • I have 2 times I do this. I have great cards or I am in the hand by default, a blind unraised. If you have a great hand and it gets better, a bet could win you nothing more than the blinds. If someone bets into you, you have the decision, post flop, of determining if you want to end this hand now or build it more. Now if I have crap preflop and have had the luxury of having been able to have a powerful hand in this position previously, you may be able to see the flop and turn with the crap hand, and even bad hands can get good in a hurry
    72 off, flop 72? turn 2 0r 7 a bet could still be considered a steal bet and you could make good money with crap cards
    Just my warped way of reasoning, option 3, if I haven't used my quota (2) for the year of bluffing...who knows!

Milton Slim
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I've checked the turn dark in tournaments a couple of times to disguise my hand after flopping a set OOP and check calling the flop

If somebody bet the flop or called the flop and then announced they are checking in the dark on the turn, it would raise a flag for me. The only time I might ever check in the dark on the turn is if I was planning on checking any turn card anyways and just wanted to mess with the guy in the hand.
  • There are plenty of ppl I'd probably check in the dark to OOP on the flop b/c I'm just never not checking anyways. I can also imagine a few other spots that I'd not have a leading range so I'd just check, but you have to have a good idea ahead of time what these spots are. Pretty sure checking in the dark w/ sets going into the turn is not that good usually, lol.
  • Vekked wrote: »
    There are plenty of ppl I'd probably check in the dark to OOP on the flop b/c I'm just never not checking anyways. I can also imagine a few other spots that I'd not have a leading range so I'd just check, but you have to have a good idea ahead of time what these spots are. Pretty sure checking in the dark w/ sets going into the turn is not that good usually, lol.

if he showed aggression on the flop I'm checking my entire range range on the turn anyway. Only exception that I can think of to that is if I know that he's exploiting my passiveness by c-betting flop to take a free turn card a very high %age of the time but that doesn't happen very often
  • Vekked wrote: »
    There are plenty of ppl I'd probably check in the dark to OOP on the flop b/c I'm just never not checking anyways. I can also imagine a few other spots that I'd not have a leading range so I'd just check, but you have to have a good idea ahead of time what these spots are. Pretty sure checking in the dark w/ sets going into the turn is not that good usually, lol.

if he showed aggression on the flop I'm checking my entire range range on the turn anyway. Only exception that I can think of to that is if I know that he's exploiting my passiveness by c-betting flop to take a free turn card a very high %age of the time but that doesn't happen very often. and even if it does I rarely have a reason to bet into him unless the board just got really drawheavy and I have no idea what he has or something. Getting more than 2 streets of value OOP is hard unless you lead flop or have a villain who bets flop and turn
  • I mean it's not the worst to be taking that line, but you're giving away info by checking in the dark, even if you would check 100% of your range there, unless you're dark checking 100% of your range there, but you said you're doing it with sets. Even if you're dark checking 100% of your range you might as well just check it all. Doing it after calling pre-flop is fineish if you never have a leading range since it doesn't really give away any info about your hand. The only issue is that there's a decent chance that you should have at least a small leading range in every situation. Also, with regards to:

"c-betting flop to take a free turn card a very high %age of the time but that doesn't happen very often"

I think this is probably the single most common flop/turn line for pre-flop raisers in general (not sure if you're debating this), just because in general people c-bet too much and play turns badly too much.

I mean I can't say anything in absolutes b/c I don't know how you play or your game plan for dark checking but I'd guess that most players (myself included) are probably not qualified to incorporate dark checking into their general strategy, which is to say, only people who are very very good probably understand all the implications of doing it. But in admitting that I don't know all the implications of doing it, I can't say I'm any authority on the move, just using my general poker intuitions.

(This is probably wayyy too much theory talk than is needed for checking in the dark LOL)