Jan 14 WSOP notes

The current instalment of my stream-of-conscousness notes... coments welcome.

Friday, January 14, 2005

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about “small pot poker.” I think that adding “small pot v. big pot” as a constant monologue in my head I may find salvation from my tendency to call too much in tough situations.

A lot of players basically play tight and look for an opportunity to double through in a single hand. This is the way of the rock. And, this is the way to the rail. It is much more important to slowly add to your stack with a minimal chance of going broke. Thus, the goal of small pot poker:

Manipulate the betting such that you avoid getting pot committed. Look to win lots of little battles and avoid the big battles.

Frankly, a lot has been written about small pot poker and although I have listened and tried to apply it I have not done a good job of it. I tend towards monumental confrontations – real or on a bluff. There are many many players that should simply be ground down slowly over the course of many hands.

Comments

• I believe TJ wrote: Aggressively pursue the small pots but be very cautious when getting yourself into a big one.

What you have written pretty much echoes that sentiment. If that is good enough for 2 poker gods, it should be good enough for me. :redface:
  • Another great point Dave. Stealing or winning big pots is great, but a slow accumulation along the way is needed too. It's just like investing for retirement, you put away a little each day, and when you can afford it you gotta go big every once in awhile. lol

I find there are a lot of people who will call with top or middle pair, over and over again, as long as the last bet isn't too large on a small pot. Even if I'm holding the nuts, I bet low enough to lure them in. lol Cuz some is better than none.
  • Dave this is what I was thinking about when I posted the question regarding risk vs. return on pots.

While a bet or call may be positive EV it may not warrant the risk in a tournament. For me it's not small pot poker, but rather a consderation of the risk I'm taking vs. what the return will do for me -- not the actual return. So, if the return is that I'm now able to take a few more "risks" like calling raise with a medium pocket pair, then I might go for it, if the risk doesn't cripple my stack. If I'm big stacked, then I really don't want to take risks -- play the nuts or push off players who missed their hands. I still can't explain this complex thought in my head though.

Cheers
    Magi
  • For me the "small pot/big pot" issue is a decision making tool. Basically, I am looking for solutions to "monkey mind go blank" syndrome. I think that be moving SP/BP up to the top of the ladder it may trigger my decision making to go in the right direction.
  • I have had a few more thoughts on small-pot-poker. Really, all that it means is focusing on your goal in this hand. And, in fact, in this hand and in every hand of tournament poker your goal is the same: To win as much as you can with as little risk as possible. When you take the plunge and risk a great deal, ensure that there is a LARGE payday. This is another way of looking at small-pot-poker. What is your goal in this hand? On this street? With this bet? What are you trying to accomplish and are you betting just enough to get the job done, and no extra?
  • Basically, I am looking for solutions to "monkey mind go blank" syndrome.
    My new card protector... a subtle reminder...
    bmnky.jpg
  • Man I'm old enough to remember those hanging monkeys. lol Too funny.