Options

Your holding a pair and on the flop you hit trips. Check or Raise?

I ask this because whats the best way to suck your opponent(s) in when you do hit trips on the flop while holding a pair? (Like AA, JJ, 1010, whatever)

Should you check? This would give the impression that you have garbage and when they raise, you can re raise and hopefully try to go all in with them calling or you yourself calling their all in.

Or should you just raise and take down the pot right then and there to avoid further risks?

Feel free to be as critical as possible, I want to improve.

Comments

• with my image I can raise and will likely get shoved almost everytime...image is key i think...
  • darbday wrote: »
    with my image I can raise and will likely get shoved almost everytime...image is key i think...
    Naw.... vast majority never believe I have it and pay me off.. And I'm the tightest player you will ever meet. :) Image is really not that important at 1/2 donk tables. Lately I have been betting out more as the check raise route seems to induce too many folds. Important thing here is opponents, board texture, stack size and your position.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Naw.... vast majority never believe I have it and pay me off.. And I'm the tightest player you will ever meet. :) Image is really not that important at 1/2 donk tables. Lately I have been betting out more as the check raise route seems to induce too many folds. Important thing here is opponents, board texture, stack size and your position.

ok ok...table dynamics then becomes the important consideration...
  • rcorp wrote: »
    hmm

Important thing here is opponents, board texture, stack size and your position.

This is all you need to know.:)
    philliivey wrote: »

This is all you need to know.:)
    Hmmm, I sense some plagerism here. :) I want satisfaction....!

Take him to Small Claims Court. I'd go for approx. $2k, maybe a bit less.

Oh, and back on topic, what comp said.
  • Yep, great advice from comp.

It really depends on your opponent's tendencies and the board. Ideally you want to get as much money into the middle as possible, but your opponent needs to have hit something to make it happen.

If you have 66 on a K63 flop, you will usually get paid and maybe be able to play for stacks, against a player with a king.

If you have JJ on a J74 flop, you're usually better off playing your hand slowly, as it's much less likely your opponent has hit the board.

If there is a flush draw or obvious straight draws, you usually want to set yourself up for a slightly less than pot-sized shove on a blank turn card, so you'll usually want to make a small raise and get your opponent to commit their stack on a draw with one card to come.

Your ability to do this will often depend on your position, your image (I do think this is important to be honest), and on your opponent's willingness to put chips in the pot with one pair or better hands.
  • Wetts on range balancing 101.

Do the same thing you would do if you didnt have trips.
  • thanks guys :)
  • Also, please do not tilt me more than necessary by confusing the terms trips and set.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Obi Wetts on range balancing 101.

Do the same thing you would do if you didnt have trips.

....waiting for the video.......
  • wetts1012 wrote: »
    also, please do not tilt me more than necessary by confusing the terms trips and set.

thank you!!!!

Well me throwing a shout out to your post was suppose to be it.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Well me throwing a shout out to your post was suppose to be it.

apology accepted... The lawyer letter is on the back burner...
    apology accepted... The lawyer letter is on the back burner...

lol, I straightened out the person (lawyer) the last time that happened to me;), good story on this one. :P

I had to call my co-workers crackheads today cause they were being stupid, so it felt like being on here and I am in the don't take any shit mood today so don't mind me.:)
  • I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I could check or raise. You can check or bet, and you can call or raise (or fold), but you have to be facing a bet in order to raise... so you can't check.

Anyway, to answer the OP's (intended) question, it depends on lots of factors: number of players at the table (different for 2/3 players vs 6-max vs full ring); number of players who saw the flop; was it limped or did somebody raise pre-flop; did I raise pre-flop; aggression of the other players; my position in the hand (obv very different if I'm UTG or if I'm OTB); effective stacks (if a pot-size bet commits players, that's very different than having stacks that are 10x or 100x the pot); etc. Without knowing any of that info, it's probably close to 50:50. In the last month, I've been in situations where I'm first to act and I shove all-in on the flop, and I've been in situations where I check knowing that somebody will bet and somebody else will raise before it gets back to me.

*edit* Apparently I need to pay royalties to compuease...
  • iNano78 wrote: »
    *edit* Apparently I need to pay royalties to compuease...
    Naw, you re-worded your answer enough to avoid plagerism charges... :)
  • I am holding 8-8.

Blinds are 50/100 I have 3600 in chips and OTB

Everyone folds to me and I raise to 400.
    Small blind Calls BB Calls

Flop 3-8-Q Sb Checks BB Checks I raise 1200
    SB Calls BB Calls

Turn 8. I shove with the Quads Sb Calls BB Calls
    SB has Q-Q BB A-A
    River Card is Q You still want to shove against these frigging bingo hounds.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    I am holding 8-8.

SB Calls BB Calls

SB has Q-Q BB A-A

And your point is? I assume this is a made up hand? Can't imagine, neither reraising you pre... And you mean you would check fold the river if a 2nd Q came? jeesh HVEE, I'm beginning to worry about you....???
  • 2 hands before that Comp Dealt Pocket 3's
    same guy I shoved He called

Self 3-3
    Bingo boy 3-Q Flop 3-9-Q Turn 9 River Q

It's happening to me on a regular basis.
    You can rail me next time I play and just watch the shit .
    People wonder Why I am so frustrated.

Like to play in the higher buy ins but don't want to deposit anymore than I have.
  • way way off topic but I have a hard time believing that 88 quad hand. Show us the HH...
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    I am holding 8-8.

SB Calls BB Calls

SB has Q-Q BB A-A

If you do not shove this hand, you hate $$$. Honestly Ron, you really need to work on dealing with this, or you are going to go (more) insane. :D
  • I really wouldn't have a problem with it IF. it was to happen every once in a while like normally for most other people . But in all honesty it's been going on steady for about 3 weeks. It does not matter what cards are in my hand.
    I keep flopping trips and get beaten down buy boats or QUADS.

I have seen so many river boats this last 2 weeks that I am ready to have a big neon sign mounted on my head that says GET IT AT PORKY'S