All opinion welcome

So I have 12 houra to kill today and tomorrow while at work. Spent 11.00 into a deep stack tournament with 5000 starting stack and 30 min. blinds.

These are the first 3 hands.

1) You get 77 UTG +3 raise to 100 guy beside you shoves?

2) The very next hand you get 99 make same bet same guy shoves?

3) Third hand JJ same bet same result guy shoves. Different guy.

Would really like to know thoughts if you say fold to all three and what it would take for you to call. These tournaments tend to get 5000 people or more by the time late registration is done.

Prophet :2h :2s

Comments

• if the blinds are 25/50 then im folding all three. but you have to give the blinds and your stack size to know whats going on......
  • with fields that huge and buy-in low like that, I think there are players that get into these and just take a shot right away and hope to double up right off the hop. If they lose, so what, it's only $11. I am certainly no pro when it comes to strategy but I'd be willing to bet you were getting shoved at with a large Ace or any small to mid pair.
  • First time? Snap fold

Second time? - Wait a second, didn't that guy do this last time.. .hmmm... nah, still not going out with 99

Third time? - Muahahaha I'm so calling this fucke...... DAMMIT (after he shows AA and I called)

Mark
  • Mark, I doubt it was minimoose . . .
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    First time? Snap fold

Second time? - Wait a second, didn't that guy do this last time.. .hmmm... nah, still not going out with 99

Third time? - Muahahaha I'm so calling this fucke...... DAMMIT (after he shows AA and I called)

Mark

i have the exact same thought process, however i believe the third time was a different guy....
  • 7-7 I probably fold.
    j-j I have a bad history with this hand. If I had my way the jacks would cease to exist. FOLD.

9-9 I do have a history with along with pocket tens and Queens.
    There is a good chance I would call with this or any of these hands.
    All 3 of the shovers can't all have a pair in their hand. 9's come on a regular basis when you have them in your hand. anyone who has a face card in there hand with a rag has folded.

7-7 I see a lot of other players hit trips and quads with. I have hit the trips and a couple of times folded this hand and saw a 7 on the flop and on the river.
    They only come like that when I fold them Brent.
    I think the mentality of a lot of runners especially the bingo players are trying to get everyone off the pot. This happens a lot in the rebuys 1.20 up to 5 or 6 bucks and they are hoping to come out on top with a big stack early.

I'll remind you that I am also a fair bit gun shy due to my awful run over the last little while too.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    7-7 I probably fold.
    j-j I have a bad history with this hand. If I had my way the jacks would cease to exist. FOLD.

9-9 I do have a history with along with pocket tens and Queens.
    There is a good chance I would call with this or any of these hands.
    All 3 of the shovers can't all have a pair in their hand. 9's come on a regular basis when you have them in your hand. anyone who has a face card in there hand with a rag has folded.

7-7 I see a lot of other players hit trips and quads with. I have hit the trips and a couple of times folded this hand and saw a 7 on the flop and on the river.
    I think the mentality of a lot of runners especially the bingo players are trying to get everyone off the pot. This happens a lot in the rebuys 1.20 up to 5 or 6 bucks and they are hoping to come out on top with a big stack early.

I'll remind you that I am also a fair bit gun shy due to my awful run over the last little while too.
    I can't believe you are saying some of this... You REALLY need to take some time off to clear your head and I mean this in the nicest way. I'm probably never CALLING off my stack with middle pairs early in a tourney and >20BB deep. I don't care which pair it is 77's, 99's or even JJ's. There is NO pair that is more likely to hit trips than any other... The past is NOT a predictor of the future in cards or any games of chance.
  • Wise advice above. I'd consider paying attention to it.
  • Wise advice above. I'd consider paying attention to it.

Now if only I could myself.... :)
  • LOL Calling 99 but folding JJ.

That is the worst strategy post ever on this site.
    9's come on a regular basis when you have them in your hand.

Can you show me the math behind these statements? I am very confused.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    LOL Calling 99 but folding JJ.

Yeah, but he has a history with Jacks. Fold the bastards, they are nothing but trouble.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    Can you show me the math behind these statements? I am very confused.

:) We may have to ask Yoda....
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    LOL Calling 99 but folding JJ.

Please go back in time to the thread about folding Aces preflop. But this is definitely a close second.
  • he asked for an opinion and i gave it to him.

9-9 is a great hand . I don't see it lose to often. I don't lose to often with it either.
    The jacks FTS They never come when I have them in my hand . I might as well shove with 6-2 os

I had my aces cracked when a dork called me last night with j-j and guess what. jack off showed up on the river.

queens went through several times in the last couple of days and i hit Quad 10's last night also. trips on another
    he asked for an opinion and i gave it to him.

9-9 is a great hand . I don't see it lose to often. I don't lose to often with it either.
    The jacks FTS They never come when I have them in my hand . I might as well shove with 6-2 os

I had my aces cracked when a dork called me last night with j-j and guess what. jack off showed up on the river.

queens went through several times in the last couple of days and i hit Quad 10's last night also. trips on another

How to play poker...get your chips in when you are mathematically ahead. Whatever happens after that, you have no control over.
  • I hate to say it, but you're strategy is about to get ripped to shreds. I'm not exactly a magician on the table, but even I see the failure in logic in these statements.
  • HVEE so since I have had pocket Aces cracked numerous times I should always fold them if someone shoves over the top of my raise preflop because of my past history with Aces?

Is this what you are saying?

I think your run bad is really getting to you. Take some time off, sell your $1k Fallsview voucher and evaluate your game this month and come back in February with a fresh new look towards your game
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    HVEE so since I have had pocket Aces cracked numerous times I should always fold them if someone shoves over the top of my raise preflop because of my past history with Aces?

Is this what you are saying?

I think your run bad is really getting to you. Take some time off, sell your $1k Fallsview voucher and evaluate your game this month and come back in February with a fresh new look towards your game

I think Steve is right Ron. I will buy the ticket if you want. I have a friend I am trying to get a ticket for them. Win Win for both of us.

Brent
  • I think Steve is right Ron. I will buy the ticket if you want. I have a friend I am trying to get a ticket for them. Win Win for both of us.

Brent
    I have a buddy that's going to play. Already talked to him.

As far as the Aces go. I am not going to shove on the first hand of the day.
    later on If I have the shover out chipped enough that he is not going to cripple me I would probably called.

BTW i shoved in a tourney about 15 mins ago ATF with J-J with a Q on board and 2 rags. he called , had me out chipped. after I re raised him.
    A-9 he had. The Ace came on the river. I should have folded the fockers.
  • It's not the run-bad lately.

Hvee: Your basic thinking is completely flawed. Please see my post in the thread you posted after JohnnieH's game. PAY ATTENTION TO THE PART ABOUT MATH.

JJ is greater than 99, so you should be putting more money in with that. I don't care what happened before.

Mark
  • HVEE makes my head heart lol That is all.
  • HVEE makes my head heart lol That is all.

Freudian slip or or are you looking to take his money with better math skills?

HVEE, I'm a total donk (ask Shar who always takes my chips) so take my advice FWIW but your math is out of whack. really go back to basics with the math and start from there. I've found it's easy to lose the basics when you start trying to think about higher concepts so it is +ev to go back and review. when you start valuing 99 over JJ it's nutz. what is happening is you are at the same time over valuing the JJ and getting into really crappy spots with them and losing cash where you would have folded the 99 without a second thought......

seriously, if you have HM or an equivalent (and if you don't , get one) review the hands where you get whacked while holding JJ and ALL the ones you played with 99. You will see that when a situation gets out of hand with the 99 you fold but with the JJ you are calling or jamming.

I'm more writing this for myself to see if my logic makes any sense under the scrutiny of better players but I hope it helps
  • comp is totally right, of course you need the discipline to go with it afterwords, that and your getting hit with the deck, the lesson is DONT raise and limp, he probably wont move in and you can hit that set, then let him get it in!

after getting raised with 77 then 99, then you get JJ which is almost worth getting it in, not quite, they are testing your metal with marginal/big hands in that spot where your racing at best or probably 4 to 1 behind.

jj would probably be a call to disguise your range there
  • locked at request of op.... totally off topic...
This discussion has been closed.