How to play this hand...

Hi everyone,

I would like to have your input on this hand I played in a $3 re-buy for Sunday 350K.

PokerStars Game #1043257115: Tournament #4330337, Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2005/01/05 - 23:33:49 (ET)

Rebuy period is over.

MP1 (10871 in chips) -> Good
Button (44310 in chips) -> Solid, good reader and a bit tricky from what I have seen
SB (me) (10850 in chips) -> I look at Ad As
BB (41145 in chips) -> Ok

MP1 calls 800
Button calls 800

You...?

I'll follow-up with my action after a couple of responses

thx

Comments

• With the nature of these events at this point you need to double up, but i think you need to raise to 3500-4000 (you're making the nature of your hand very clear), with the intention of betting all that you have left on the flop (if you're not already all-in pre-flop)

I'm taking a risk with this approach, but most likely i take it down right there ... but if someone else has a pair from 99 - JJ you've priced them in and got them dominated. I'm assuming QQ-AA will come in anyways (although i doubt they limped anyways)
  • Hi mads,

You didn't mention what the average stack size was, but with 400/800 blinds, you only have about 9 orbits left regardless. Also, there is already $2800 in the pot (MP1, Button, BB, and $400 of yours). With that in mind, I would push all-in preflop. Either everyone folds and you add approximately 25% to your stack, or you get one or two callers and are a big favourite to double or triple up.

If you limp against three opponents, you are taking a bigger risk of being outflopped than you are against one or two opponents. Again, I'd push in preflop as the favourite and let them make a mistake by calling you.

Just my two cents :)
  • i raise to 2400-3600 and likely push on the flop if it isnt too scary
  • I think there is a LOT of "it depends" here. Some players in these things always see an all-in bet preflop as a steal attempt and will call it with WAY too many hands. If this is the case for any of the players in your hand go ahead and fire all your chips in and double up. Otherwise I would raise to 4000. This is a pot-sized raise which makes it a big mistake for any other player to call, but small enough that you will probably get one caller since people seem to call way too many raises at that level, and hate being pushed out after they commit some chips to limp in. I doubt both limpers would call. You really only want one caller to reduce the risk of getting drawn out on, but if they both do call you may win a very big pot and you're still well ahead of course so it's not that bad. Then on the flop all your chips go in (I can't think of any flop where i would be able to fold the aces without a big tell). With the pot so big compared to your bet it will be hard for an opponent to fold and you may get called by hands that have virtually no hope of drawing out on you. This way takes advantage of some typical mistakes your opponents will make and hopefully will trick someone into doubling you up that might not have had you just pushed all-in preflop.

Mike
  • I would push because theres alot of money in the pot and its ok to get a caller with aces. You know that atleast one guy will call you and you are mostlikely way ahead with your hand considering they all just called.
  • Sorry for the delay...

TY all for your responses!

Here is the rest of the hand:
    I would like to have your input on this hand I played in a $3 re-buy for Sunday 350K.

PokerStars Game #1043257115: Tournament #4330337, Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2005/01/05 - 23:33:49 (ET)

Rebuy period is over.

MP1 (10871 in chips) -> Good
    Button (44310 in chips) -> Solid, good reader and a bit tricky from what I have seen
    SB (me) (10850 in chips) -> I look at Ad As
    BB (41145 in chips) -> Ok

MP1 calls 800
    Button calls 800

You...?

I raise 1600 to 2400 -> Like most of you said, I think 3500-4000 would have been better. I think moving in would have scared them out on this particular hand.
    BB folds
    MP1 calls 1600
    Button calls 1600
    *** FLOP *** [Ac 9h Qs] -> Nice, a set, now what...
    I check -> Do I move-in and hope they don't believe me? At the moment, I kind of froze up and decided to check with the intention of moving in on any bet...
    MP1 checks
    Button checks -> Ok didn't work...
    *** TURN *** [Ac 9h Qs] [Kh] -> Ok kind of a scare card...
    I bet 2400 -> Bad again?...I mean, if I check the flop I must check the turn again?
    MP1 folds
    Button folds

I collected 8400 from pot

In the end, the result is not that bad, I won the hand at least. But I really felt that I didn't maximize my profit on the hand. I think that by playing it the way I did, I clearly identified my hand...and invited them to crack my Aces...

comments?

TY