Pocket pairs preflop!

hey guys, i just wanted a third party opinion on the hand i jsut finished on stars. i was in SB at the .50/1 cash game. i'd consider myself semi-aggressive depending on how loose the table is. this one wasn't so lose. so i was like 2nd most aggressive. so im in the SB and get dealt 9c9s....actions on the most aggressive guy with the button. he raises $5after a guy in middle position limps in. actions on me in the SB so i repop to $12. middle position folds and button repops all in. i hestitate for a moment and put him on AQ or AK. board comes Q97h. turn is a 5s. river is a 3. Now i don't know about most ppl but its hard to fold medium pairs and i had like $60 behind. would anyone else play differently? and if so how would SB play otherwise? he had like 140 and when he automucked i saw he had AK off. am i the only one who feels most online players overplay bigslick?

Comments

• One questions:

1) What made you put OP on AQ or AK, and not a range including high pocket pairs? If OP is the most aggressive player at the table would he/she not play high pocket pairs the same way?

It is hard to figure out from the way it was written, but it seems you have $60 behind, and the OP has enough to cover that amount, you are risking $60 to win $73. You would have to win 45.1% of the time to come out even.

With 99 you would have to be able to put your opponent on a range of 77+,AJ+s,KQs,AQo or worse to make calling the right option. If you think the opponent would go straight from $12 to all in with KQs or 77 then by all means call - otherwise a fold is the proper play.
  • DataMn wrote: »
    One questions:

1) What made you put OP on AQ or AK, and not a range including high pocket pairs? If OP is the most aggressive player at the table would he/she not play high pocket pairs the same way?

It is hard to figure out from the way it was written, but it seems you have $60 behind, and the OP has enough to cover that amount, you are risking $60 to win $73. You would have to win 45.1% of the time to come out even.

With 99 you would have to be able to put your opponent on a range of 77+,AJ+s,KQs,AQo or worse to make calling the right option. If you think the opponent would go straight from $12 to all in with KQs or 77 then by all means call - otherwise a fold is the proper play.

no no no....the question was....am i the only one who feels most online players overplay bigslick?

answer is probably not.
  • From original post:
    rapz4lyfe wrote: »
    would anyone else play differently?
  • DataMn wrote: »
    From original post:

jkn^-^
  • lol thanks guys. the reason why i called was b/c he was sort of a bully at the table. and always raised on the button. a play earlier he did the same with another player and that guy laid down 1010 against his q10 suited! he usually slow played big pocket pairs. i have no clue as to why but i went with my gut and that told me he had AQ. so when the board came a q i was steaming but the cards werent flipped immediately until i cheked after auto muck.
  • Villain played it better.
  • You played it alright I guess. You don't normally want to stack off pre with 9's, but in a button vs sb situation it's not too bad. You probably shouldn't be playing in this game though. .5/1 online is very tough, requires a 10k br and you'll probably still be a losing player in it. What's the point? Online poker is GREAT for getting better and terrible for losing money. Put in a ton of volume at the absolute minimum stakes and work on your game, don't try to get rich gambling on the nets.
  • Yeah! What's the point. It is a tough game. Your chance of winning is very low in this situation.
  • Ask me about pocket pairs and hitting trips on a flop lol
    If the flop is 3 hearts including my 3rd nine. Not sure anymore what I would do. Probe bet 20 bucks if he raises real quick that chances are he has the flush draw or has it and most likely you're beat.

As far as a lot of players over playing A-K . Yes it's like the euro players like to shove and then bi@tch in the chat box as and observer (after the hand felted them) about how much of a luck box donk you are for calling with your pocket pair.:)
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    As far as a lot of players over playing A-K . Yes it's like the euro players like to shove and then bi@tch in the chat box as and observer (after the hand felted them) about how much of a luck box donk you are for calling with your pocket pair.:)

Most of the time you are a luckbox and a donk for calling the shove with your pocket pair <.<
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    Ask me about pocket pairs and hitting trips on a flop lol
    If the flop is 3 hearts including my 3rd nine. Not sure anymore what I would do. Probe bet 20 bucks if he raises real quick that chances are he has the flush draw or has it and most likely you're beat.

Ummmm.... ironic POTY?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Most of the time you are a luckbox and a donk for calling the shove with your pocket pair <.<
    WTF???????

this was sarcasm........???
  • Richard~ wrote: »

Richard! where have you been, was getting worried about you.....:)
  • Villians play is a lot better than yours, although both are fine / standardish... you call may be a little too loose, you are going to get shown a bigger pair a lot of the time. AK has the advantage of card removal and doing well vs QQ, JJ, 1010. He is much less likely to be crushed preflop than you. His bet sizing is weird and way too large, very 2007.