Beginner Help

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to poker and would like some advice. I played a hand recently heads up which went like this:

Me: (Stack at 1100)
:qd - :kd
Opponent: (Stack at 4300)
:7h - :jh
Blinds at 150:300

Preflop:
I'm BB at 300, opponent calls into BB, I check
Flop:
:8c - :8s - :9s
I bet 300, opponent calls
Turn:
:8c - :8s - :9s - :kh
I bet 300, opponent calls
River:
:8c - :8s - :9s - :kh -:10d
I check, opponent bets 200, i call, straight > 2 pair
Opponent's stack now at 5200, I'm at 100

What could I have done better this hand? Should I have went all in? and when? Feel free to be as harsh as you want about my play.

Comments

• Shove preflop. Same result more than likely, but at least you'd have played it better. What stakes was this?
  • omg take out your opponents hand and the results before the forumers crucify you!

i think your in the big blind here and each street should say he checks and you bet no?

best advice from me, with you being new, when you are 10bb or less you are surely going to either fold or shove all your chips in, you don't have enough chips to make a smaller bet. This woulda been a great hand to shove all in preflop.
  • Shove pre, that is all.
  • As stated, with your stack size in comparison to the blinds, you are basically forced to push or fold. That is a hand to shove with.
  • Go to amazonbooks.ca and by a book called "the art of heads up" by Prophet 22 (available 2011)

Eberyone has the right idea, shove it

Prophet 22
  • I would go all inskys before the flop ccomes out.
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    Shove pre, that is all.

+1
  • Shove pre for 1 and how does your opponent bet 200 on the river if the blinds are 150/300?
  • Shove pre for 1 and how does your opponent bet 200 on the river if the blinds are 150/300?

Hero only had 200 left.
  • nope, he said he has 100 left at end of hand
  • nope, he said he has 100 left at end of hand

My math messed?

Starting stack = 1100
    - 300 bb
    - 300 flop bet
    - 300 turn bet = 200 by the river

the 200 on the river should've put hero allin, unless his description is wrong and he had 1300 to start.
  • His discription must be wrong, o well doesnt overly matter doesnt seem like hes posted since anyways lol