Help me read/analyze this! 2/5 live Monster Pot, Good Villain overshoves the river!

2/5NL ($500 buy in) Live.
Midnight, weekday, lots of regulars. The dealers seem to know most of the players by name.

This takes place at a 24 table room. Usually a bigger $2000 game takes place today here but there was not enough interest today, so this is the biggest game in the room.

I’m doing well and have quadrupled up to $2000. I have the table covered. I’ve been playing tight aggressive. I’ve made moves but I have not been caught out of line or shown a bluff.

Villain in this hand is on a roll. He’s quickly built up his stack from $500 to about $1300 in 3 hours. He’s shown down AA twice and KK once. Each time he limped in from middle position with a big pair, he won a big pot! People at the table don’t seem to put him on a big pair when he limps in, so he’s getting paid off like a MOFO. He’s also shown down AsKs, he check called to the river on a 2 spade board and caught the nut flush on the river, on the river he overbet the pot and got paid. He’s got a shaved head, he’s about 40 with blue eyes. His manner at the table is quiet.

In the orbit before this hand, I bet $25 preflop in early position, and got called in 3 places, the Villain calls on the button. Flop come JXXr, I cbet $100 into a $130 pot, it’s folded to the villain, who shows TT and then makes a speech. “I haven’t seen you play a hand so I’m laying this down!” This is the first thing he’s said to me in 3 hours. He sounds a bit disgusted that he has to lay down TT to me.

The hand:

LoudTable coach ($1000) limps, Clueless Loose($225) limps, Villain ($1300) raises to $25, 2 folds, Passive loose Older Italian gentleman($1000) flat calls the $25. New Young Kid ($225) flat calls the $25. folds to me on the button.
Before you look at your cards, What do you think you should do? What ranges do you raise/call/fold?

Before I look at my cards I think. This is a good squeeze situation. The villain probably doesn’t have AA or KK and he’s advertised that I play tight. The callers probably don’t have monsters and just called loosely.

Do you look at your cards? Or do you just squeeze here?
I think about $175 or $200 would be a good squeeze amount.
I look down to see 76o.

My analysis:

I decide not to squeeze because:
My hand has some value. It might waste the value on a bluff. My hand is almost too good to squeeze.

It’s harder to squeeze with 3 people than 2.
Except for the Villain, the players are loose and might not “know” that they are supposed to fold.
I can use my good position and keep the pot small.
I decide to call with my 7 high rather than fold because, I’m getting 46x +40x implied odds from the Villain and the older gentleman.

I call $25 with 76o. The blinds and Table Coach folds. Clueless calls $25.

Pot $137 - $5 rake.
Flop comes 763 2 clubs. I have one club. 76o. This gives me top 2 pair.
Clueless bet $25. ($200 back)
Villain raises to $150. ($1050 or so back)
Folded to me.

What do you do?

Clueless made a tiny 20% bet and Villain made a pot sized raise.
What ranges do you put the Villain on?
Since the villain raised preflop, I don’t think he has AA or KK since he seems to like to limp his preflop monsters.
I’ve seen him just call/check his flush draws. So I don’t put him on AcKc.
I haven’t seen him raise preflop with small pocket pairs or (suited) connectors.

What hands are good enough for the villain to raise here?

Made hands that beat me.

54 makes the nut straight. There are 16 combinations of 54.
77 makes top set. One combination.
66 makes middle set. One combination.
33 makes bottom set. Three combinations.

Everything else I beat or tie.

I flat call the $150.
It’s folded to Clueless who quickly shoves all in for another $42.

Villain instantly says, “All in”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dealer tells the villain that he can’t go all in since Clueless’s raise isn’t enough to open the betting.
Villain calls the $42.

I tank.

Pot is 192+192+150+132=662.
Even if the villain has a straight or 33 I have odds to call.
I call $42.

The turn is 6d

Board is now: 7636 2 clubs. I have 76 for the 2nd nuts.

Villain insta-shoves $975 (again)

What do you put the Villain on here? What ranges make sense?

Comments

• I've seen this movie. You flopped top two pair and turned a boat. There is nothing he can have that you fold to in this spot. If he has the nuts, good for him and you pay him off.

Given all of your reads, I would put him on Tens, or Jacks, maybe A6.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    Given all of your reads, I would put him on Tens, or Jacks, maybe A6.

wow, if those hands make up a chunk of his range here I want to play at this table ^^'

As played I'd expect him to show up with jacks+ or queens+, flopped sets or straights, or perhaps monster combo draws. Even given reads I don't think we can rule out any of these. It's a fairly safe board for a big overpair and I wouldn't expect him to limp those all the time
  • If he has 77 he doesn't shove.. your ahead, get it in... If beat, it just wasn't your day.
  • Worked through it.... want results before posting thoughts.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Worked through it.... want results before posting thoughts.

Mark

what do you think this is, Jeopordy? >:D

I think like Richard said, he shows up with overpairs here a lot. Even though he has shown he likes to limp with the big pairs, it is possible he can change it up. Either way, im not laying this down ever.
  • i have to agree with Richard here it feels like JJ's, he likes to limp with monsters but can you really call jacks monsters so he throws in a small raise hoping ot hit on the flop or have the board show up like it did. I shove if he has me beat good on him but no way i am laying this hand down.....i ma interested to see how it ended
  • Did you post this hand because you thought about folding, or because you want to see what hand ranges play this way?

Anyway, Obv 33,77, JJ+ Although doubt a decent player stacks off here with JJ+.

Also good cash game villain can have a hand like 45cc here for the supernutdraw. I guess A6cc is in there too, assuming the 6c isnt on board, but I doubt he turbo ships the min shove with A6.

I'll say 45cc ftw Alex.
  • If you had seen him play any small pairs, that info would help, because I'm inclined to say he has 33 here. He keeps limping in with monster pairs, so he seems like the kind of player that would then 5x raise with small pairs preflop. If he acts weak, he's strong and vice versa right. Also, I'm thinking he figures he has you absolutely ruined here from his insta all in, which if he's the kind of guy to speech fold 10's with one over card, that's how he'd play bottom set.

At least that's what I think.
  • Jesus Christ, Derick. Fold pre. :P
  • couldn't get if villains history showed he was smart or good but among the pairs online ill see ako and aks also. people who don't know how to play them in awkward situations and they isolate to cut losses and look smart with ace high.

can't fold. will take a loss to quads or straight flush anytime. villain wanted all in on the flop.
  • Define insta-shove. What were his actions as the turn was dealt?

This is never a fold.

Where is the game located? It has some relevance.

In a typical 2/5 game I would strongly skew his range towards 33, obv he rarely turns up with 77. I don't think a straight instashoves without some consideration of the board pairing.

If you mean true instashove as in he didn't even consider the turn then I would weigh overpairs much lighter in his range (unless you peg his as a player that can never lay down queens on a wet board, which it sounds like you haven't).

I guess in summary if he truly instashoves without considering the turn (it is a very significant turn card) and isn't a huge donk (overshoving an overpair) then I'm down to 33, 45 and 77 and never folding without VERY good live tells. Are you allowed to expose your hand or talk to him much with another player all in? This is an ideal spot to get a lot of info from a bad/inexperienced live player by talking to him and him seeing a reaction to your exposed hand, etc.
  • LoudTable coach ($1000) limps, Clueless Loose($225) limps, Villain ($1300) raises to $25, 2 folds, Passive loose Older Italian gentleman($1000) flat calls the $25. New Young Kid ($225) flat calls the $25. folds to me on the button.
    Before you look at your cards, What do you think you should do? What ranges do you raise/call/fold?

I'm calling with most suited connectors, even unsuited connectors, any pair, AK,AQ, Ax suited. As mentioned, implied odds are so great that most cards are worth a call in this situation.
    Before I look at my cards I think. This is a good squeeze situation. The villain probably doesn’t have AA or KK and he’s advertised that I play tight. The callers probably don’t have monsters and just called loosely.

Do you look at your cards? Or do you just squeeze here?

might be too obvious on the button. I definitely look at my cards before making this play. Problem is there are two small stacks in the hand that may call you and you are likely way behind.
    Flop comes 763 2 clubs. I have one club. 76o. This gives me top 2 pair.
    Clueless bet $25. ($200 back)
    Villain raises to $150. ($1050 or so back)
    Folded to me.

What do you do?

I just call; we are way ahead in this situation and you want to milk it. If he has two clubs, so be it.
    The turn is 6d

Board is now: 7636 2 clubs. I have 76 for the 2nd nuts.

Villain insta-shoves $975 (again)

What do you put the Villain on here? What ranges make sense?

Never folding in this situation and surprised you are questioning what to do? Call and thank God you won this massive pot. Never, never folding!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably get more money out of my pocket and throw in the pot as well.
  • Not sure how we don't snap caller quicker than the instashove. Sounds like he's a hammer the pot with the nuts kind of guy (as you've described).......I'd be surprised if he had anything other than 45, possibly a set....but I think you'd play that for more value than shoving.

Outside possibility of 10 10+, but that line doesn't make sense if he's a solid player.
  • is a two outer sob story coming?
  • Great Thread - Need final answer please.
  • Well I think it's unanimous, no ones folding...... even me. So what did he have, 4,5 clubs and made the str8 flush?
  • khealy wrote: »
    Great Thread - Need final answer please.

Now aren't you glad you didn't re-raise pre-flop :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Well I think it's unanimous, no ones folding...... even me. So what did he have, 4,5 clubs and made the str8 flush?

ouch, missed that one. Better than my overpair two outer on the river.
  • Yeah even if I think I should I don't think I can ever lay this hand down. I am inclined to agree he could easily have JJ,QQ and wouldn't slow play them because he's not a total idiot.

I also don't really know from your description, do you credit this guy with being a good player or a donk?

So far your only read on the guy is that he likes to slow play, which in my mind basically rules 7's right out of the equation, if he flopped top set he would definitely let you control the pace of the hand, like I said that is if he likes to slow play as much as your stories on him have led us to believe.

Instead I think he is trying to protect his overpair from drawing hands, and he didn't do a good job.
  • Villain is playing the hand scared.

Yes, villain has overbet the river with the nuts, but was passive leading to the river. Here, he is in a big pot against multiple hands and seems to want to clear out anyone who may be drawing.

He may have 77 here, but I really doubt it. Why would he snap shove and not get value here from playing it out?

It sounds like he is overplaying a big pocket pair and trying to get heads up with the allin.
  • wait wait,
    are you really thinking of folding the second nuts to an INSTA overbet shove???
    You would have to be the nittiest nit of all nits to every play nit poker.
    I push my chips in by the time he's saying "All I-" and expect to see 89c, AA, 33, 45c, etc.

I mean seriously, you're calling 5x raise with 67o, now you hit a boat and got put all in, you're thinking of folding? If so, never play 67 ever in any position. Even fold pre in bb when limped to you.

Pre flop I generally fold 80%, call 20%. Flop I raise 70% and call 30%. Turn I ship 100000%
  • the ending would be good anytime now LOL
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    the nittiest nit of all nits to every play nit poker.

You rang? Jeesh I hear a lot of bells here lately....
    You rang? Jeesh I hear a lot of bells here lately....

That's the sign of a possible stroke, Alsheimher's or cocaine withdrawl from a recent trip to Vegas. Hmmm... I wonder which one it is...
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    That's the sign of a possible stroke, Alsheimher's or cocaine withdrawl from a recent trip to Vegas. Hmmm... I wonder which one it is...
    Well I have no idea what "Alsheimer's" is so.........
    Well I have no idea what "Alsheimer's" is so.........

I used, but now I forget.
  • With the majority here...it's most likely some variation of 45s or 33. QQ+ is a possibility, but doesn't really fit the insta-4bet all-in on the flop, unless of course this is how he played his earlier KK and AA on the flop when building his big stack.

If he has the one combination of 77 available, that sucks, but I'm never folding 76 in this spot. Just a cooler. Next hand.

Bump for results? :-/
  • Also, this reallly doesn't strike me as a good villain :P
  • do results really matter?
  • Nor does this strike me as the river for that matter ^^'