Tells -- what to believe?

Last night I'm at the woodbridge tourney.

I play a few flyers and bet out with nothing, and get played back at. I make the obligatory fold. Then one hand, UTG limps (he likes to play flyers like JTs 78s etc from any position), folded to me in the big blind. I hold 86o. Flop comes 822. Blinds are 100-200 and I bet 400. He raises 500 and I raise all-in.

As I raise all-in, my hand shakes. It was a combination of getting pissed off at him playing back at me and wanting to put an end to it, and that I was freezing at that point. Mostly though I was cold.

He quickly folds. As, I'm stacking my chips he says to the table "did you see him shaking" he had a monster hand. I couldn't bear to tell him I was just cold. He then looks over at me and says "what was your other card". I say "what do you mean other card". LOL, I was COLD.

So, the tell he should have read was that it was cold. A tell needs to be used in conjunction with everything else you have available. What was the flop bet, pre-flop, etc.

Cheers
Magi

Comments

• Interesting... "cold", eh? I'll have to watch for the shaking tomorrow night at Zithal's... ;)

Wear a sweater.

hork.
  • howd you finish maji?
  • I agree Magi, I never use a shaking hand as a tell until I know why its shaking. Some people its nerves, some people its a bluff, some people its a monster, some people its a combination of all. If your playing with the same group constantly you will soon learn why his hand is shaking or why your opponent is shooting dagers at you with his eyes when he has made a big bet. I wrote a post a about a guy that does this everytime he makes a big bet. He will sit high in his chair and stare wright through me, hes acting strong but is really weak, so if I have anything at all and say "call" his hand hits the muck befor anyone can see it. I'm just waiting for the time that he does this and I have something like 67s.......he goes all in, I know he has nothing but I have 7 high, I say "call" he mucks and I show 7 high. I know I know.......very risky and I probablly will never try it but I have such a good read on him it will be tempting.
    Wader
  • the_main wrote:
    howd you finish maji?

I finished halfway through the pack. AT vs 99 all-in with 10 outs on the river. IGHN.

Blinds rise way too fast, and if you can't build in the first 1/2 hour, you're dead. I shouldn't have tossed away the $200 for the add-on, as it's pretty much a waste if you haven't trippled up before the break. I had basically treaded water.

Cheers
    Magi
  • Hork42 wrote:
    Interesting... "cold", eh? I'll have to watch for the shaking tomorrow night at Zithal's... ;)

Wear a sweater.

hork.

Actually, you should check my nipples. If they're hard, the shaking is because I'm cold! If they're not, then check my Tim Horton's cup. If the super-extra-large-two-pot cup is pretty much empty and I'm asking Zithal if he has some espresso, the shaking is likely a result of too much caffeine. If I have a monster, I usually get the George Costanza thoughts on how I will lose with the hand and if I have the absolute nuts I think about what could happen to interrupt the hand (fire, alarm, someone having a heart attack) and I really don't shake. We need a George Costanza smily! I'm looking forward to the tournament tomorrow.

Cheers
    Magi
  • magithighs wrote:
    Actually, you should check my nipples.
    And how, exactly, do you recommend we do this??? If you were half as hot as your photo, I'd volunteer to post your status on a hand by hand basis...
  • Blinds rise way too fast, and if you can't build in the first 1/2 hour, you're dead. I shouldn't have tossed away the $200 for the add-on, as it's pretty much a waste if you haven't trippled up before the break.
    Hmmm.... I think if you do nothing more than break even in the first hour, and then take the add-on, you will have 6K to play at 100/200. It sounds like we view this tournament in completely different ways. What is the urgency in accumulating chips in the first hour? All you have to do is simply not bust out, and you can buy 4K more. In my mind, people's stacks after the first hour mean nothing, as everyone has at the very least 20XBB... why do you need to triple up before the break?

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    Hmmm.... I think if you do nothing more than break even in the first hour, and then take the add-on, you will have 6K to play at 100/200. It sounds like we view this tournament in completely different ways. What is the urgency in accumulating chips in the first hour? All you have to do is simply not bust out, and you can buy 4K more. In my mind, people's stacks after the first hour mean nothing, as everyone has at the very least 20XBB... why do you need to triple up before the break?

Regards,
    all_aces

It was a bit different this week. The addon was 100 for 2000 or 200 for 5000. So, it's a tad better. It doesn't seem to bad at 100/200 after the breat with about 8000 chips that I managed to keep. The problem I had is that the subsequent rounds were 20 minutes. And, the hands took a long time with many players facing all-ins. So, we likely got about one orbit per blind. So, 20 hands after the break (I had nothing playable, except two hands -- one took the blinds and the other I dropped about 1200 on a semi-bluff). So, now I'm sitting with about 4800 chips and blinds at 400/800 and just 6 big bets. Pretty much, I'm pot comitted so all-in is the only play, either pre-flop or post-flop.

IMO, I would like to have about 16,000 chips at the break, so I can actually play the following three/four rounds or about about 40 hands. That would give me some leverage.

Perhaps I just not used to the B&M tournies. I don't l ike the turbos either, which may be a close approximation of that tourney.

I must say the food was great! Do you go on a regular basis? Wouldn't mind meeting up with you there.

Cheers
    Magi
  • I sometimes shake when I am playing, but dont you think this is nerves. Usually it is too much coffee as I take it black.

The sign of shaking is not a good tell. (maybe just a sugar inballance).
  • Perhaps I just not used to the B&M tournies. I don't l ike the turbos either, which may be a close approximation of that tourney.
    It may be true that you're used to online tourneys now... I had the same problem. You just get so many more hands/hr online, it's unreal. I wouldn't say Woodbridge is as bad as a Turbo, but since it is B&M, you are right, there are not as many hands/level.

You might have gone on an exceptionally slow-moving kind of night, though, as I don't remember the blinds killing me that badly, and I am a self-admitted, self-appointed critic of blind structures throughout the land... :wink:

I play in the Woodbridge tournament on a fairly regular basis... I think I've played in maybe six of them now, in the last few months or so. I'll probably be there next week, so maybe I'll see you then!

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Hmmm.... I LOVE the shaking hand tell and generally find it SUPER reliable. But, I am going to spend more time looking at nipples.
  • I spent some time last night checking out nipples. Didn't help my game in the least...
  • Hmmm.... I LOVE the shaking hand tell and generally find it SUPER reliable. But, I am going to spend more time looking at nipples.

So what does the shaking hands tell you?

I saw TJ on the WPT shaking and if I recall he had a good hand.

Rob M