Building/selling poker tables

So i've built a pair of poker tables. they were both for my own use, i built a 5x8' table with folding legs, full cloth and 4" rail which I ended up selling because i moved into a small apartment. i just recently finished my second table which is just a table topper, which is a 4x7' table with 5" rail. both tables didn't take me very long to build, i wouldn't call them "professional" but I also wouldn't call them poor quality either.

So i'm thinking, i enjoy building these tables, is there a market for low priced custom poker tables? the poker scene has really died down, it's not as popular as it used to be but there's still plenty of poker players out there. I wanted to buy a table myself but found other tables unreasonably priced and looked like made in china crap. i'm thinking of selling full felt tables with a padded rail and folding legs for $250, and any customizations people want I can add them on. materials for something like this would be in the $150-$200 range so I wouldn't be making much profit, but it would be nice to make a little extra on the side.

if it matters, i live in the vancouver area.

here's a few pics of the tables i made, the second one shows some more experience in the building process as the rail looks more uniform.
n21015501_36239379_3091-1.jpg
competedtable3.jpg

Comments

• :)If you were in Ontario you may have a lot of customers. White one looks good. I would definately consider buying one.
  • HVEEPOKER wrote: »
    :)If you were in Ontario you may have a lot of customers. White on looks good.

what he said. I would buy one. Nice looking tables Tony, good luck to you!
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    what he said. I would buy one. Nice looking tables Tony, good luck to you!
    For sure. Fixed it lol
  • Custom colors to the room is sweet....great option! Though I would still want speed cloth and drink holders. ARe those legs on the white one fold up?? I like em if they are..
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Custom colors to the room is sweet....great option! Though I would still want speed cloth and drink holders. ARe those legs on the white one fold up?? I like em if they are..
    Looks like he has converted a dining room set Dennis. I like the table but would want the cup holders also.
  • the white table is just a topper. the folding legs would just be the generic metal ones you see on any table. I can also do cupholers in the rail. suited speed cloth is also something I can do, but it adds a bit to the total cost cause it costs more than velveteen.

If you're not a fan of the folding legs, i can always to regular legs or pedestal legs, but peds bring the price way up
  • the white table is just a topper. the folding legs would just be the generic metal ones you see on any table. I can also do cupholers in the rail. suited speed cloth is also something I can do, but it adds a bit to the total cost cause it costs more than velveteen.

If you're not a fan of the folding legs, i can always to regular legs or pedestal legs, but peds bring the price way up

Just remember you are against the chinese table market that have suited speedcloth, stainless cupholders, fold up legs, betting line...for about 200 bucks.

Stick to custom stuff to match peoples rooms and you should always have a market, and still be able to make a buck.

Btw, welcome to the forum! Another westerner! woot!
    Just remember you are against the chinese table market that have suited speedcloth, stainless cupholders, fold up legs, betting line...for about 200 bucks.
    Where can you get those in Canada?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Where can you get those in Canada?

Paul has them at pokerchips.ca in Vancouver. Just checked, they are listed at 250 cdn. I bought 10 from him a few months back and they are decent for the price...have them in our pub locations for the poker tour.
    Paul has them at pokerchips.ca in Vancouver. Just checked, they are listed at 250 cdn. I bought 10 from him a few months back and they are decent for the price...have them in our pub locations for the poker tour.
    Don't see a pokerchips.ca website? Also for $250, you get suited speedcloth, cupholders and fold up legs? Really? Is that what you are using in your bar tourneys? Do you have a pic of these tables?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Don't see a pokerchips.ca website? Also for $250, you get suited speedcloth, cupholders and fold up legs? Really? Is that what you are using in your bar tourneys? Do you have a pic of these tables?

Dennis meant to put pokerchipsets.ca :)
  • lol..yep I did, thanks Jesse.

And yeah Jeff, that is what we use for our bar league poker. Try to provide the best poker experience we can for the players..
  • not sure how i missed that, that would be hard to compete with. i'd have to make some nicer tables for the same cost to be able to compete with that.
  • Like I say...stick to custom stuff and people don't mind paying the extra that it's worth. That white topper for that particular room is a great example..
    Like I say...stick to custom stuff and people don't mind paying the extra that it's worth. That white topper for that particular room is a great example..
    Some people get great deals from suppliers after they have dealt with them for some time. If he gets his material from the same place for a while then he will probably get a discount too. The other thing I will add is if he builds a good quality table and sells a few word will get around and He will be off and running.
    You will be fine Tony.
  • yeah i think i'll do fine, customizing tables is really what it's about, getting the right color combo's, size and type of table. getting a table with the exact dimensions someone wants can be invaluable, also having the right accessories installed like a raised rail.
  • Where are you located, I'm very interested in purchasing one. PM me.

F**K THAT!

BUY LOCAL! Support your local out of work carpenters, not cheap labour! For the price it's a good deal for a custom table, and they look smart. Also it cuts down on your carbon trail, as all tables made in china use canadian wood and manufacture it. Thats a LOT of oil!

I'm in the process of trying to score one off of tony, once I convince my poker buddies to throw down for one. I'll post pics as soon as I have it!
  • just finished a table if anyone's interested. 43"x88" oval with velveteen and vinyl. it's on craigslist for $335.
    IMG_8099.jpg
    IMG_8090.jpg
    IMG_8089.jpg
    IMG_8101.jpg
  • I have never played on an Octagonal table, can anyone tell me how they compare for home poker games/ 2-3 table tournies. Seems like they are more space eficient? But is it crammed with 8 guys around?
  • yes and yes, they are more space efficient but they're crammed. if you're worried about space, then the best thing is to either go with a larger octagon, or something like a 56" round table, or just a smaller oval table, a 3x6 table can fit 8 people comfortably
  • I'm not really worried about space for one table, but I sometimes have 2 or even 3 tables going in my house and it gets a little stupid..am looking at buying some poker tables to help remedy this situation and prefer the classic shape but the octagon ones look like you could fit them nicely around eachother. Seems like it would also help when in a casual home game you are rotating dealers, everyone would be able to reach to the middle fairly easily.
  • well an easy remedy if you're worried about it being crammed is getting a larger octagon table. most octagon tables are about 42" at the widest, just get something along the lines of 48"-56" wide and you'll have enough room. i personally prefer round tables to octagon tables though.
  • What are the key differences between suited speed cloth and velveteen?
  • big key is durability. suited speed cloth is more durable than velveteen. velveteen will last well no problem if you have a weekly game, but if you plan to use your table on a daily basis then you'll want to go with ssc. another difference is feel, velveteen is softer feeling than ssc. ssc is a bit rougher. cards also slide better than velveteen. ssc also looks nicer than velveteen. they both have their pros and cons, but the biggest difference is the durability.
  • So, SSC.. cards slide better (assuming this means they don't catch?)
    more durable
    nicer looking

velveteen .. softer?

It seems to me like some cheaper materials would pill overtime??
  • velveteen does catch more than ssc, but cards still slide nicely on velveteen imo. velveteen is also cheaper. i've used two different velveteens, one green and one black, the green one pilled a tiny bit, barely noticable, but the black doesn't pill at all. but in general, you get what you pay for. i always recommend ssc
  • just thought i'd post a pic of a table i recently finished for a custom order. he wanted a full sized 96" table, raised rail, double pedestal, burgandy ssc and black rail. he was very satisfied when he got it and mentioned that me might contact me for another smaller round table for the overflow. here's some pics:

IMG_8254_1024x683.jpg
    IMG_8255_1024x683.jpg
    IMG_8256_1024x683.jpg
    IMG_8257_1024x683.jpg
    IMG_8258_1024x683.jpg
  • thats gorgeous dude nice work!

Sorry I haven't been back to you in a while, my friends bailed on the table offer. Once I score my 5K win I'll grab one in a heartbeat.