playing short stack

MTT NL ~ Final Table & 8 players remain ~ blinds are currently 4000/8000
avg stack 155,000 ( 5 players with avg of 155,000 2 players with 215,000 )
your stack 12,380 ( already made the money :) )
no antes

you are BB for 8000 and dealt 84o
( stack now 4380 )

folded around to MP. MP raises 16000 SB folds

what should you do now? :confused:

Question #2
MTT NL ~ Final Table & 8 players remain ~ blinds are currently 4000/8000
avg stack 155,000
your stack 380

You're on the button with K4o

what to do now?

Happy Holidays,
CO :biggrin:

Comments

• Standard poker answer! :tongue:

Assuming you are already in the money, there's a couple of things to consider:

1/ I've pretty much written off your chances of winning it all, since you have sooooo far to climb to get into contention. My goal at this point is to maximize the payout by climbing.

2/ Anyone else close to going out?

3/ How aggressive is the guy raising you? Would he bet with nothing? (You pretty much have nothing so this isn't a major consideration in this case...)

Hand #2 is simpler, I would fold. You can sit on your chips all the way around, assuming no antes. (You didn't mention antes.) Your next bet is your last one. If anyone is remotely close to going out, don't even think about betting. Maybe not even with AA. On your last bet, you are guaranteed at least 1 player at the river, quite possibly 2 or more. Even if you doubled up 4x, you don't have enough to post a BB - and you are not very likely to double up 4x. Just pray for someone else to go bust in front of you before you have to post.

Hand #1 isn't as cut and dried. You were pot committed. If no one else was remotely close to going out, it may have been worth calling, since if no one makes any moves in subsequent hands, you are next out. You have to act to survive in that case. Assuming you are heads-up, you're getting something in the order of 6-1 on your money with a long shot. And a long shot is just what you need to move up in the standings. This would have given you enough chips for a couple more rounds. Very likely then to finish with a higher payout.

That's my 2 cents. I'm interested to hear other's takes on the situation.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:
    2/ Anyone else close to going out?
    yeah ME wacko3rt.gif
  • when there were 11 players left, i lost about 40,000 in chips :(

was dealt AKo in EP i raised it,all fold except BB,flop went 4sKsQc, check raised him, he calls, turn Kc, could he have KQo:confused: i bet he calls, river Js , now i really dont like it, he bets...and i had to call it, and he takes it down

he was BB with 8s2s :mad:

:frown: <--- ConfusedONE