Seat 2: tpokerjoker ( $110.15 )

Seat 4: pj2307 ( $112.43 )

Seat 7: BSIBC ( $242.08 )

Seat 9: vietlee_mng1 ( $80.05 )

BSIBC posts small blind [$0.50]

vietlee_mng1 posts big blind [$1]

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to BSIBC [ 8h, 9h ]

zebowa raises [$3.50] 5 handed the table has been pretty loose, but this guy reasonably solid..

tpokerjoker folds

pj2307 folds

BSIBC calls [$3]

vietlee_mng1 folds

** Dealing flop ** [ 9d, 9s, 5d ]

BSIBC checks

zebowa bets [$6]

BSIBC raises [$17]

zebowa calls [$11]

** Dealing turn ** [ 6s ]

BSIBC bets [$21]

zebowa calls [$21]

** Dealing river ** [ Ad ]

BSIBC ......I feel like he has the diamonds as I have been burned in this spot several times on the nl50 tables tonight, but I know he could easily just have 77+ ..afraid of monsters here?

Real question I guess is....should I be making a small blocking bet here, or just check calling, or value betting as the flush isn't that likely? He is solid and "shouldn't" be chasing...

Comments

• check to induce bluff.
  • If he's been "reasonably solid" then I highly doubt he ever flats your flop raise AND just flats the turn with a FD 100bbs deep. I think it's more likely that he shows up with an overpair here, and sometimes a smallish pair. The river kinda sucks because if it wasn't an ace you could probably bet close to pot and get called but I think now if you do that he'll fold most of his range, I probably bet around half pot and fold to a shove.
  • b/f if hes solid unless hes got some sort of river bluffs hes capable of, which at 100nl you don't have to worry about.
  • Bet river for value..
  • I think check/call or MAYBE even check/fold is best.
    You want to get value from A-high hands, but its hard for villian to call 3 streets with A high. He may have diamonds, but he obviously doesn't have the Ad so his range is a lot more narrow. I can only see him having broadway diamonds if he has any.

Unfortunately he'll have to check back all hands you beat, and he'll only value bets hands that beat you (or bluffs).

Either way I think betting the river won't get much action from him with worse hands. If he's half-way competent, he'll fold 77-KK, It's hard to put him on Ax hands, and any bluff hands will insta fold a bet.

Honestly, its hard to put him on a hand that you beat vs a river bet/raise.
  • yeah, I think a small and only a small value bet on the river might get called by anything I beat. Anything else (flush) raises...not sure the ace would raise (nor call all those streets except AA).

I guess getting burned by river flushes in other games all night had me scared of monsters...

I was afraid if I checked, he might bluff raise...then what? I have to fold..which sucks with this hand..

but...it went check check and he mucked a pair of tens...but the consensus here would be check call on a med. size bet from villian?
  • fold pre-flop

Your hand is worth a call if 2 others came along.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    fold pre-flop

Your hand is worth a call if 2 others came along.

Mark

5 handed cash? If I wait for two callers every time I am out of position with equitable (did I just make that word up?) hands I will be waiting a long time and giving up a lot of blinds. I am ok out of position here. If I hit hard, great, if the flop is all small, I can take it away..if it is fd or st.d or tp or two pair...I can work with it...I have him on broadway or med to high pairs.
  • DennisG wrote: »
    I was afraid if I checked, he might bluff raise...then what? I have to fold..which sucks with this hand..

but...it went check check and he mucked a pair of tens...but the consensus here would be check call on a med. size bet from villian?

If he's capable of bluffing that river then you have to call. It is the biggest bluff card ever.

I still think c/c a value bet. With that river its very hard for TT to call, so I think you played it right.
  • I bet river and make a decision if I get raised, it's too easy for villain to check behind most hands he was calling flop and turn with
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    If he's capable of bluffing that river then you have to call. It is the biggest bluff card ever.

This is something I do often enough myself...guess I was just afraid of the chasing (which I really didn't think he was doing)..just had been burned too much recently..lol
    Richard~ wrote: »
    I bet river and make a decision if I get raised, it's too easy for villain to check behind most hands he was calling flop and turn with

Yeah...I think I should have made some bet..he could likely have put me on some other smaller pair...
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I bet river and make a decision if I get raised, it's too easy for villain to check behind most hands he was calling flop and turn with

Although this is true, I think its hard for villian to call any bet here. I'm not opposed to betting the river, I just think in the long run it MIGHT be -ev. He's obviously raising with any hands that beat you, but maybe will bluff to a check. I think personally I'd rather save myself a bet by c/c and I might induce a bluff at the same time.
    Either way this is a good post and a tough spot.

I think the money you'll make by betting the river will be negligable to the amount you'll lose if you get raised or bet off your hand.