exposing cards before show down

Question.....If a players exposes his hole cards before the show down, is his hand automatically folded? This happened 2 times at last game. The player who exposed his cards did so intentionally in an attempt to gain a read, tell on the other player(s) still in the hand. If there is a rule on this & where can I find it or is this more a breech of poker etiquette

1- Cash game, player exposes KK on 4th street when opponent goes all in for $175. Opponent is on semi-buff as he as middle pair, board was Q 8 2 5 opponent calls for KK hand to be folded. I am not in the area at the time, KK get read he wanted and call the all-in, but loses when opponent hit 2 pair on the river. Justice I say...

2- Tournament play- player exposes J high flush on 4 th street after player goes all in. This player after several minutes folds his hand. His opponent flips over trips.

Is there a different ruling on this in cash games VS tourney play....or should both hands have been folded after being exposes intentionally... Thanx inadvance..

Comments

• I think this really depends on the house rules, and should be stated on your tournament form, or on display somewhere in the poker room.

Most of places I play at would consider shown cards dead.
  • Generally, in major tournaments now, players exposing their cards suffer a penalty. Often some time being forced to sit out while they are blinded off.

I cannot speak to ring game play. I think it is probably OK.

What's the difference? In ring games the only players effected by the exposed cards are the players still alive in the hand. And, it can be argued that seeing your opponent's cards is an advantage. In a tournament, players not in the hand are effected. If the exposed cards cause a player to do the opposite of what they would have done then the outcome of the hand in question has been changed. That outcome could substantially effect another player.
  • What if the only player left to act exposes his own cards, looking for a read, in a tournament? This is from a tournament I played in on Tuesday:
    I raised in EP with A9o to 15K when we were down to 5 (blinds 2.5K/5K, I had about 60K). Only the BB called... he was the guy who was a bit of a maniac, but his stack was equal to or slightly less than mine by then. Flop was rags, he checked, and with 36K or so in the pot I moved in my remaining 45K. He thought for a while, and then he flipped over his cards and stared at me, still contemplating whether or not to call me. He had KQo, and eventually folded. Some people watching said this was unethical of him, and I said that it only would have been unethical if he'd shown me a hand that was beating me.
    I know that the rule probably varies from place to place, but in general do you think this stuff should be allowed?

Regards,
    all_aces
  • I suppose, in theory, that if he is the only player left to act then he is not altering the play in any way. Nonetheless, the rule in most every tournament is that exposed cards incur a penalty. No matter the circumstances.
  • the rule in most every tournament is that exposed cards incur a penalty. No matter the circumstances.
    I thought so, and it's a good rule. Thanks Dave.
  • What if the guy shows just one card? I've seen this done a lot. Like if 3 of a suit are on the board, they'll show you the ace of that suit.

What if the guy says what his cards are? In this case, the guy could be lying and I usually figure he is. But there was one tournament at Graham's...

I don't think either case is ethical but I'm not sure if it breaks the rules.
  • So what would a said penalty be?
  • First offence, hand is dead.

Second offence, hand is dead and player gets a 20 minute penalty.

As Jack McLelland used to always say at the beginning of the WSOP: "If one of your cards hits the floor you will be given a twenty minute penalty. If it's an accident then you will accidentally be given a twenty minute penalty."
  • Hmmm.... I am out of touch.

From the Tournament Directors Assocation rules...

Rule 7: Penalties: A penalty MAY be invoked if a player exposes any card with action pending, if a card(s) goes off the table, if soft-play occurs, or similar incidents take place. Penalties WILL be invoked in cases of abuse, disruptive behavior, or similar incidents.

Rule 36: A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed.