wierd FLO8 spot

Do we want to wager the maximum amount here or do we let villain convince us he's more than just a complete retard?

PRE-FLOP
toadprince folds,
BRITA44 folds,
7Ruslan7 calls 30,
Aliassen calls 30,
Richard_5 calls 30,
Terraguar_x checks.

FLOP [board cards: :kd,:jc,:9h ]
Richard_5 checks,
Terraguar_x bets 30,
7Ruslan7 folds,
Aliassen folds,
Richard_5 calls 30.

TURN [board cards: :kd,:jc,:9h,:qs ]
Richard_5 checks, Terraguar_x bets 60, Richard_5 calls 60.

RIVER [board cards: :kd,:jc,:9h,:qs,:qc ]
Richard_5 checks,
Terraguar_x bets 60,
Richard_5 raises to 120,
Terraguar_x raises to 180,
Richard_5 raises to 240,
Terraguar_x raises to 300,
Richard_5 raises to 360,
Terraguar_x raises to 420,
Richard_5 raises to 480,
Terraguar_x raises to 540,
Richard_5 calls 540.

SHOWDOWN
Terraguar_x shows [ :9d,:3c,:jh,:qh ]
Richard_5 shows [ :kh,:ks,:ad,:8c ]
Richard_5 wins high 1,380. spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif SUMMARY
Dealer: Aliassen
Pot: 1,380
Richard_5, bets 660, collects 1,380, net 720
Terraguar_x, loses 660
toadprince, loses 0
BRITA44, loses 0
7Ruslan7, loses 30
Aliassen, loses 30

Comments

• Post your starting hand next time - and position.

On that flop, it's too nice to get away from, there's no low, and he needs exactly QT to be ahead, I'm calling if not re-raising, probably re-raising since everyone else disappeared anyways. It would depend on my reads on the fella. Actually, I just also saw our gutshot, I'm capping here as needed.

That turn card makes us die a little inside. The only way we're getting implied odds is if he has a good but weaker boat / straight, and even then it's not enough to really pay us off. As played, odds are a 60 call into a 240 pot, or about 4:1, with our 14 outs, we'll nut up around 28% of the time, let's round down in case of a chop, so 25%, meaning it's pretty much a break even play, but I'm pretty sure I'm being generous with my 25%.

If you had re-raised the flop, you may have taken it down there, or at least swelled the pot - let's say he just called our re-raise of 30, it now becomes a pot of 300, and we'll either check / call, or bet out at it, but we're seeing the river at that point regardless. Since he was the BB, there's no need to assume he has a AQT combo, so again, we may pump it here too, so I'm likely raising out of the gate.

River play is standard, since I'm guessing it didn't leave you another option of raising.

Mark
  • I was in the small blind, posted in a hurry just for the river wierdness.

You make a very good point, I'm not used to playing limit and I'll probably think enough to evaluate my implied odds and fold flop or turn next time.

On the river I did have an option to reraise again, my heart just seemed to die every time I pressed the raise button and got popped back over and over again (I'm already putting him on at least one queen anyway <.<) but I felt really silly afterwards. Should you always just keep reraising in this spot against an unknown?
  • There's one hand that beats you?

Maybe by the eleven-teenth raise I start to consider it...

Mark
  • (x) wierd
  • I keep raising there. As mentioned there is one hand that beats you there, and if he has it, he has it, way to go runner runner. And the only way he has QQ there is if he has the 10 to go with it, so you were drawing slim'ish the whole way down.

All in all I like how you kept the pot from swelling until you were comfortable you were good.
  • river: shove till the end as the range of getting paid is greater that the odds of him holding QQ.