2nl no idea what to do

So as you know I am dabbling in cash, I have no idea how I should have played this, if I was in position I would have re raised pre(something was telling me too)but I was small blind, ugh! and this guy just sat down so had no info,reads etc etc on him.

***** Hand History for Game 45367917111 ***** (Poker Stars)
$2.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Friday, June 11, 12:38:54 ET 2010
Table Julia V (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Seat 1: PHILLIIVEY1 ( $1.92 USD )
Seat 3: ipokrindaace ( $3.02 USD )
Seat 4: verallr ( $4.92 USD )
Seat 5: m3mn0ch ( $5.00 USD )
Seat 7: manomikelito ( $1.54 USD )
Seat 8: CUBA887 ( $2.94 USD )
Seat 9: Piwos ( $1.21 USD )
PHILLIIVEY1 posts small blind [$0.01 USD].
ipokrindaace posts big blind [$0.02 USD].
m3mn0ch posts big blind [$0.02 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to PHILLIIVEY1 [ As Ks ]
verallr calls [$0.02 USD]
m3mn0ch raises [$0.06 USD]
manomikelito folds
CUBA887 folds
Piwos folds
PHILLIIVEY1 calls [$0.07 USD]
ipokrindaace folds
verallr folds
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, Ts, Qs ]
PHILLIIVEY1 checks
m3mn0ch bets [$0.08 USD]
PHILLIIVEY1 calls [$0.08 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4s ]
PHILLIIVEY1 checks
m3mn0ch bets [$0.12 USD]
PHILLIIVEY1 calls [$0.12 USD]
** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]
PHILLIIVEY1 bets [$0.28 USD]
m3mn0ch calls [$0.28 USD]
PHILLIIVEY1 shows [As, Ks ]
PHILLIIVEY1 wins $1.11 USD from main pot
m3mn0ch doesn't show [Js, Kd ]

Comments

• Shove pre while saying "See you in hell 2 dorras!!!"
  • Raise preflop...perfect time for a 3bet here. You're out of position and want to take control of this hand now.

Of course, flopping the second nuts is sweet. Would have check/raised opponent, no need to see a turn/river with this hand. Checking the flop is okay as well here, if you intend on leading out the turn or c/r turn allin.

NH
  • Oh and don't post hand results
  • nice flop, flop the nuts with royal flush draw... life is good eh?

Unfortunately I don't think you are making any more money here when the fourth spade comes on the turn and you have the AKs. Personally, I'm not scared of the K on the river. I'm definitely raising on the river and likely would bet on the flop. I like to bet my hands and hope they have a piece of the flop.
  • Re-raise pre..... and here's why in this specific hand.

A re-raise can look like a few things (steal, value raise, feeler), but since you're OOP, I would lean towards (if I was your opponent) a big hand. Depending on your play, I would put you in a box, but assuming a new player, I'd go JJ+, AQ(s)+.

So, now we see this flop all spade. For my box, you need to have EXACTLY AQ or AK of spades. Given all the OTHER hands I put you on, I think this allows you to make a lot more money off of me if I catch any part, or am feeling froggy.

Now here, you HAVE to bet out again. If you have AA, you're looking to protect, same with KK. AK you have a gutshot, and maybe a 4 card flush draw (in my mind). If any of these is true, I can try to steal this from you by representing a flush, or in the case of AK, I am beating you with any pairing.

Your bet straight out of course is a value bet, but it look suspicious. Also, if a 4th spade drops, you have the As, so you're not making ANY money of anyone in that case. Put your money in when people will pay you.

Mark
  • my thought is if you see the flop and it doesn't contain an ace or a king your likely behind and oop...but if you hit then he'll likely spew at least a continuation bet or a re raise.

but ive been contemplating playing my aks more like aa and starting to test it out.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Shove pre while saying "See you in hell 2 dorras!!!"

hahahaha awesome
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Oh and don't post hand results

I wanted to know about every street
  • philliivey wrote: »

I wanted to know about every street

results is not a street

BOO YAH!
  • darbday wrote: »
    but ive been contemplating playing my aks more like aa and starting to test it out.

AKs is not as strong as people think, in a cash game anyways; I definitely wouldn't play it like AA. You don't win many big pots with TPTK (if you flop an A or K).

I guess it depends on the quality of players but I see a lot of guys lose their stack with AK on a Ace high flop when someone hits two pair or a set. Happens a couple times a night.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    AKs is not as strong as people think, in a cash game anyways; I definitely wouldn't play it like AA. You don't win many big pots with TPTK (if you flop an A or K).

I guess it depends on the quality of players but I see a lot of guys lose their stack with AK on a Ace high flop when someone hits two pair or a set. Happens a couple times a night.

i read it in a ken warren book, basically the idea is to simply the game for beginers, raise big, raise an ace on the flop and consider laying down to a re raise. its a me going back to the basics thought. two pair and a set are a little harder for opp to hit when you raise bigger though...maybe...:bs:?
  • Playing now and sooooooooo bored,lol

this table is slow mo!!
  • philliivey wrote: »
    playing now and sooooooooo bored,lol

this table is slow mo!!

m u l t i t a b l e !!!!
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    m u l t i t a b l e !!!!

SO you can lose $ faster. ;)
  • darbday wrote: »
    i read it in a ken warren book, basically the idea is to simply the game for beginers, raise big, raise an ace on the flop and consider laying down to a re raise. its a me going back to the basics thought. two pair and a set are a little harder for opp to hit when you raise bigger though...maybe...:bs:?

Ken Warren is an idiot.
  • Ken Warren is an idiot.

ya.....uhm....stellar book though. are we saying hes an idiot because of what i posted or just from your past knowledge about him?
  • im bumping this
  • I 3bet pre because if you are going to play OOP, you want to keep it to 1 player if possible and you don't want to value it marginal hands like suited connectors or small PP's to set-mine you.

As played, check/call on the flop was good but not great. A check/raise would be better. I know you are slow playing but this hand hit his p/f raising range pretty well and if you can get it in with your stacks it is pretty much a fist pump as he is drawing to 1 out. Not sure I check/raise or just donk out at the turn. The river donk is good because with 4 spades on board and him having the 3rd nuts, he may check behind.

I think ultimately, I would be looking at what betting line I can take to get my stack in the middle. We have the 2nd nuts and the likely hood he raised with J8s is really unlikely. A 3bet pre on this flop probably gets all of the chips in the middle. Because if you lead out with your flush, villain most likely shoves his made straight and opened SF draw.