Woodbridge tournament report part one.

For those who are interested, here are some hands I remember from last night's tournament. It's long, and I write it mostly for my own posterity, but if you have some time to kill (like, say, at work lol) I thought you might enjoy it.

60 or so starters, NL, $250 buy-in, no rebuys, one add-on at the end of the first hour for $100 or $200 (depending upon the number of chips you'd like to add-on.)

Pre-add-on. (25/50 and 50/100, 2000 starting chips.)

I like and dislike my table... I recognize a couple of heavy-hitters. No real maniacs to speak of, and a decent amount of respect. So, it's good and bad.

I limp with 77 and have to lay it down to a 300 raise from the SB.

An aggressive player raised pre-flop, folded to me in the BB with A6 soooooooted, and I called. Flop was A9T, none of my suit. I checked, he bet 300, I raised 300, he called. Turn was an 8, I think. I checked, he moved in, I folded.

Folded to me in LP with JhQh, I tripled the blinds. Only the solid BB called. Flop was AK3 rainbow, he bet the pot, and I folded. He showed me an ace.

I can't remember any other hands from this period except this one: 2 hands before the add-on and I had about 800 of my original 2000. I was going to add-on for 4000 very soon, but I had to stay alive to do so. Unfortunately, UTG raised to 300, and I looked down at pocket jacks in MP. Folded to me, and I thought 'the extra chips I can get by doubling up here are worthless when compared to the 4K add-on and the possibility of busting out before I get to the add-on'.

Then I moved all-in. Folded back to UTG, who called with pocket tens. I doubled up, and took the 4K add-on, giving me just under 6K.

Middle stages (5 to 3 tables remaining).

At 100/200, one limper to me in LP and I limped with 4s7s, under the more-than-slightly delusional impression that I was Daniel Negreanu. SB called, BB checked. Flop was T64, with one spade. Checked around. Turn was the J of spades, and the solid BB player from before (who was again the BB) bet 600. Folded to me, I called with bottom pair and a flush draw. Not the best call, but my stack was fairly deep relative to the blinds (everyone's was) and I was factoring in implied odds. River was a spade, I forget which one. BB checked, and I bet 1,000. He thought, and asked me if I made my flush, and then called. I showed him my flush, he showed me a jack, and I took it down.

At the same level I tripled the blinds with QQ when it was folded to me in MP. Folded around to the SB I think... the guy who had TT vs my JJ in the early stages. He moved in for about 4K more I think, and then started talking to someone, which gave me ample opportunity to watch him. He did not look like a man with kings or aces, so I called. He had pocket eights, and didn't suck out.

Table change. First hand I get QsTs and try to limp for 400 from EP. It is promptly raised behind me to 2K. Folded back to me. I ask if this is a 'no-limping table', and I'm informed that it is. So, I folded. He told me he had AQ, FWIW. This table was broken up before I'd paid any blinds, and we had to draw for new seats at one of the three remaining tables. I drew exactly the same seat and table I'd just come from... table three, seat three.

I raised UTG with AJo a couple of times and won the blinds. Same with 55. Once it was folded to the small blind--a big stack--who just called. I was in the BB with 33 and pushed. He folded. Basic survival tactics... no big hands and I had about 13K or so when we went down to two tables, with the blinds at 400/800.

Two tables left.

Here we played 400/800, 500/1000, 1000/2000, and 2000/4000. The interesting thing was that only my table played 2000/4000.... the other table played 1500/3000 instead, which is what it was supposed to be. I guess our dealer was confused. It only went on for about 8 minutes or so, though, before we all went to the final table where we all finished the level at 1500/3000.

With two tables left, I don't remember much except usually having between 6 and 10 times the BB, and moving in a lot to keep myself there. I moved in twice with AQo (no callers), and once with any two from the SB against the tight BB. I also made a fairly big error that could have cost me the tournament when there were around 15 or so left...

The SB had just busted out, so it was a dead small. The BB posted, and the UTG player called. However, I missed this sequence of events for some reason, so when it was folded to me in LP I looked over and saw what I thought was the SB and BB posted, not realizing that what I thought was the BB was actually the UTG player's call (who had a HUGE stack). I moved in with KcJc, for about 7 or 8 X BB, IIRC. I realized that the UTG player was not the BB after I had moved in, and I'm pretty sure he saw me make that realization while he was considering whether or not to call. Fortunately, he had 66, and he was a good player so he realized he'd either be even money or a huge dog, and he folded. Whew. And, oops. :redface:

At one point I was down to 8K or so, and had to post my 2K BB, leaving me with 6K left. I was dealt KJo, and it was folded to the button, who had me slightly covered, and he moved in. SB folded, and I eventually did too. He told me he had a suited ace, but didn't show it. More of me doing the same (moving in and not getting called), and I'd worked my way up to about 16K or so when we went to the final table, playing blinds of 1500/3000 after just playing 8 minutes of 2000/4000, lol. No biggie.