David Williams story in Playboy

Check out the January issue of Playboy to read a lengthy and facinating profile of David Williams. I'm not going to lie -- I didn't buy it for the articles! The Jenny McCarthy spread is worth a look but the article on Williams is great. He seems like a really odd bird but also a stand-up guy. He doesn't pull any punches or put up a phony image of himself. Also, his girlfriend is hot!

I also find it interesting that Williams probably pocketed more money than Raymer for his 2nd place finish at the WSOP. In an interview on Kimmel recently, Raymer said he paid out 2.1 million to backers, about 1.7 went to the IRS, and he kept the rest. Meanwhile, it doesn't appear that Williams had backers. He qualified for the main event the day before it began. Anyways, check it out.

Phil

Comments

• I heard that Raymer, at one point when he was struggling financially, sold "stock" of himself to others, which he had to pay off after his big WSOP win. So I believe you're quite right that Williams pocketed the most.
  • yeah raymer ended up paying out roughly 50% of his winnings to backers. there was a HUGE article on him in cigar affeciando magazine, and he basically stated that when his bankroll dipped a bit he sold stocks on himself for a few hundred a piece online and he provided the "backers" with quarterleys and shit like that. He was a well known poster on twoplustwo, and a lot of ppl took adivce from him, so when he put himself up for grabs some ppl took the bait and grabbed onto his stomach! yeah baby!