Compuease is going to Vegas again....

Ok, just booked flights out of Toronto (for the first time in years) Arriving in Vegas Monday June 14th at 7:15 pm and leaving Vegas Tuesday June 22nd at like 1:45 am (yuck..) but for only $318.80 all in.. Haven't planned hotel or complete itinerary as yet, but not likely top play a WSOP event this year unless I do well in some early Binion/GN/Caesars/Venetian events. So many choices of good tournaments right now...
Twitter link....

http://twitter.com/jeff_cookson

Comments

• Gl sir, and dont donk.

Point of vegas is to play to pay for your trip and drinks.. thats always my goal.

Vilagio FTW.
  • douchebag wrote: »
    Gl sir, and dont donk.

Point of vegas is to play to pay for your trip and drinks.. thats always my goal.

Vilagio FTW.
    Thanks for the tips for this heavy drinking vegas rookie... :)
  • also, dont know if anyone has experienced this.. but alot of ppl get tentative when they get to vegas, and play too tight, sort out the regulars and the vacationers and pounce on the vacationers.

Go in there swinging your hammer like its huge and take down some big ones!
  • lol If comp got any tighter he'd shit diamonds. :D
  • been pondering a last minute trip... what airline did book through? I have a couple credits left over on AC and Westjet that I have to use up by Oct. Hotels seem pretty reasonable, during the week anyways.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    been pondering a last minute trip... what airline did book through? I have a couple credits left over on AC and Westjet that I have to use up by Oct. Hotels seem pretty reasonable, during the week anyways.

I'm American to Vegas and Delta back, booked through Cheap To Travel.
    Cheaptotravel.com

Let me know if you want my flight numbers....
  • compuease wrote: »
    I'm American to Vegas and Delta back, booked through Cheap To Travel.
    Cheaptotravel.com

Let me know if you want my flight numbers....

ok, thanks. I probably go with AC/Westjet just to use up the credits. Besides the WSOP, what are the other decent tournaments running at the same time? Prefer the $200-$300 buyin range. Always wanted to visit during the WSOP just to check out the tournaments.
  • Binions, Golden Nugget, Caesars and Venetian all have big stack tournaments running. Venetian are a little more, ie 300-500, but the others are all 200-300... Let me know when you book and what... Gogie (Brian) from Oakville is down at the same time.
  • Hey Jeff,

Good to see you've decided to take the plunge again this year. I'll be arriving the day after you (late in the evening though) and leaving the day after you (but at a much more civil time - around noon!). I'm pretty sure I'll play the Venetian DS on Wednesday ($340 buy-in) and definitely the Old Folks Special at the WSOP on Friday. I thought about the GN Seniors on Wednesday but decided that I'll stick with the V since I'm staying there. If I don't make it to day 2 of the DS I'll probably head downtown and play at Binion's on Thursday.

Let me know your plans and maybe we can meet up sometime.

Cheers,

Brian
  • Hey Jeff...where might you be staying? I MIGHT go from 15-18 just for s&g. And If I go I would have an extra bed in my Venetian room.
  • I guess I qualify for the seniors tour in five years... not sure if that is a good or bad thing?
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Hey Jeff...where might you be staying? I MIGHT go from 15-18 just for s&g. And If I go I would have an extra bed in my Venetian room.
    Haven't booked any accomodations as yet.
  • Nice gl, Im going to vegas for first time in July and I cant wait. Im deciding between staying at the Venetian and the bellagio. Any suggestions? or notable things that might help me decide.
  • Nice gl, Im going to vegas for first time in July and I cant wait. Im deciding between staying at the Venetian and the bellagio. Any suggestions? or notable things that might help me decide.

Depends how much you end up paying...
  • Price really isnt an object haha.
  • Mandalay Bay is supposed to be nice and reasonable.
  • I like MGM. Stayed at a few places myself and I think I will stick with MGM from now on based on the amazing times had at the pool and the luck at the tables there everytime! :P
  • anyone heading down around the time of the main event? I'm thinking of July 15th to 19th.
  • Update.... planning on playing the Rio deepstack ($200.) on Tuesday June 15th 1pm, 30 min blinds, 15K chips... They have been getting 250+ runners and 1st pays >10K.. Will play the Golden Nugget Grand Series seniors event ($240.) on Wednesday June 16th.. After that my schedule will depend somewhat on how I do in those first two.

Scheduled:
    Tue June 15th - Rio deepstack ($200.) 15K chips, 30 min blinds (Rake is 15.5%)

Wed June 16th – Golden Nugget Seniors NLH ($240.), 12K chips 40 min blinds (Rake is 17.9%)

Possibilities as below.

Thu Jun 17th
    - Rio deepstack ($200.) 15K chips, 30 min blinds (Rake is 15.5%)
    - Golden Nugget NLH ($235.) 12K chips 40 min blinds (Rake is 17.9%)
    - Binions NLH ($150.) 12K chips, 30 min blinds (Rake is 19.2%)

Fri Jun 18th
    - WSOP Seniors ($1K) 3K chips, 60 min blinds (Rake is 10%)
    - Golden Nugget PLO8 ($235.) 12K chips 40 min blinds (Rake is 17.9%)

Sat Jun 19th
    - Golden Nugget NLH ($135.) 12K chips 40 min blinds (Rake is 28.9%)
    - Golden Nugget Limit O8 ($240.) 12K chips 40 min blinds (Rake is 19.6%)
    - Binions NLH ($210.) 15K chips, 30 min blinds (Rake is 17.7%)
    - Venetian DS NLH ($350.) 12K chips, 40 min blinds (Rake is 12.3%)

Sun Jun 20th
    - Binions NLH ($210.) 15K chips, 30 min blinds (Rake is 17.7%)
    - Venetian DS NLH ($350.) 12K chips, 40 min blinds (Rake is 12.3%)

Mon Jun 21st
    - Binions PLO8 ($210.) 15K chips, 30 min blinds (Rake is 17.7%)

I may also play some satellites at the Rio and Venetian. GN also has some daily bankroll builders that sound kind of interesting.. Think they run 5 times a day…
  • if you have time hit the 1-3 tables at Aria, so juicy with excellent dealers and service including food to your table while your playing
  • SteveKerr wrote: »
    if you have time hit the 1-3 tables at Aria, so juicy with excellent dealers and service including food to your table while your playing

Now I am not much of a cash game player as most of you know but would you say it's more juicy that MGM? That's about the only place I found I could make money at cash.
  • yes more juicy then MGM. Players at Aria always paying you off. I tripled my $300 starting stack in just about an hour.
  • Ok, just arrived safely at McCarron... Pick up rental car and head for IP, perhaps over to the Rio after checking in...
  • I think you posted that for once you went out of TO. Lucky you. Spirit is on strike as of today.
  • Take down a tourney or two! I'm not there to chop a tourney with you anymore!
    Ok, just arrived safely at McCarron... Pick up rental car and head for IP, perhaps over to the Rio after checking in...

you really can't survive without the rental car eh :) are taxis that big a deal? Have a good trip. Still trying to figure my dates.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    you really can't survive without the rental car eh :) are taxis that big a deal? Have a good trip. Still trying to figure my dates.
    You know it only cost me $130. for the rental car. It doesn't take long for it to add up using taxis and buses (shudder)... And the convenience can't be beat especially since I will split my time between downtown, the strip and the Rio..
  • Off to the Rio shortly to play the 1pm deepstack, hopefully I don't have to split it with anyone... (Wes) :)
    Vegas seems really busy and I haven't even been to the Rio yet.
    100F today and has been for a few days. Cold front moves in on Thursday, only 93..

Would anyone believe I've been in Vegas for almost 13 hours now and I haven't sat at a poker table yet.... Must be getting old. Did have a good nights sleep last night at the IP, tower 5 is much nicer than the others just ask for a room facing away from the strip if you want quiet.
  • Funny story yesterday before I left Toronto. Decided to get a burger at a bar/burger place in the airport near my gate. Sat at the bar facing their big screen tv and ordered. Big game (I guess) Italy vs whomever it was (couldn't care less actually) and most seemed to be cheering for Italy.. I made a comment re diving and the lady behind the bar almost came over the bar at me... lol... About 2 minutes later some Italian player collapses in pain after what looked like just a little bump... I lol'ed out loud... Boy did she ever get mad then.. I actually thought she might throw my food at me... Her boss told her to calm down and winked at me... Interesting start to the trip...
    Did have a good nights sleep last night at the IP

first mistake I made on my last trip... getting to Vegas at 2am Toronto time and hitting the poker tables for four hours.