A NLHE hand...

So we are down to the final table (last 7 I believe top 4 pay) I’m in LP with well above the average in chips (one of the leaders) and action is folded to me. Blinds are very comfortable for me so that is not an issue at this point and I look down to find KK. I raise my standard to make 3BB to go. I watch pretty close since I have been getting some loose preflop action and want to see the reactions of the players. Action is folded to the SB (who I have covered but has enough chips to hurt me) who I have played with in the past and is an okay player who likes to play pairs and Blackjack hands (any 10 - A hand) smooth calls my raise (but looks uncomfortable with calling) then a very loose BB also flat calls. Flop comes rainbow rags 7 high with the SB betting out a small amount (I think two BB) BB folds and action is to me. I don’t like my play at here because I put him on a set or Ax(maybe AJ or the like) and I moved. With my read there is no good reason for my play but Monkey Brain makes my decision for me. My question is what is your play here assuming you have the same read as me?

Another thing I have been trying to figure out is a preflop raising system. Cards I don't care about (just ask Magithighs) but when I open a pot with a raise my standard is always 3BB if there is a limper or two I raise to 4BB. If there are many limpers then I play it by ear and feel. Is my system flawed? Should I be raising more as my standard? I am not feeling 100% comfortable with my game right now and would love your feedback. :)

Comments

• i wouldve pushed.
    he had aces, right?

I like to raise a standard amount (3x BB, 4xBB from early) but not only with premium hands, I'll raise with junk if my stack allows and i think I can take down the blinds
  • LOL...I will play non-premium hands too...
  • I don’t like my play at here because I put him on a set or Ax(maybe AJ or the like) and I moved

Not sure what you mean with your read, but which do you put him on? A set or a AX/overcards?

If he's smart enough to realize he's on the bubble then I'd toss a mid sized raise at him on the flop, if he comes over top all in then I think you can toss it, given you read him for nothing or a set (seems unlikely he'd bluff out of position against a PFR raiser on the bubble).

My 2 cents.

P.S. You misused the term 'Smooth call', a smooth call is calling thinking you have the best hand to invite action behind you.

And regarding preflop raises, remember that you're trying to raise for a reason, whether it's to build a pot, isolate, steal, etc.

In the case of your KK raise, I would raise precisely the same way I would steal from here, simply because I play rather aggressive from the back and I want the blinds to try to get cute with weaker hands - trying to play back at my steal and opening up the betting again for me to stackem.

In generally I use a similiar raising structure, x3BB + 1 BB per limper.
  • Not sure what you mean with your read, but which do you put him on? A set or a AX/overcards?
    given you read him for nothing or a set
    This exectly what I meant. I read him for one or the other and nothing else (ie over pair or top pair).
    P.S. You misused the term 'Smooth call'
    I learned something new today. Thank-you!
  • I would have raised after the flop was checked too you with the flop coming rainbow, seven high. There is really no reason not to raise here, yet I am an agressive player.

So what did he have?
  • For what it's worth, I would have bet more preflop with KK. (then shown them)
    Get them worried about you. A little psych ops never hurts, especially late in the game. lol (Ax is worth calling 3xbb that late in tourney) I think you have to bet enough to scare them out.

Postflop, I would have pushed harder too. Usually do on overpairs to a lower rainbow board. At that point I don't want someone hanging around to draw an Ace or trips. Works most of the time. If it doesn't show flush or straight potential, then I push. Once in awhile the guy has trips. It happens. That's the gambling part I guess. lol
  • I would have raised after the flop was checked too you with the flop coming rainbow, seven high
    He bet at me on the flop yet a small bet approx. 2 BB.

I will tell what he had later...I want your answer to be pure based on my read. 20/20 hindsite is way to easy to base your opinions on.

I don't like my play because I put him on a set or Ax. By moving in I make it way to easy for him since he calls with his dominating hand or folds his dominated hand. If I would have put on top pair or an overpair 88-QQ I think a push would have been good.
  • He bet at me on the flop yet a small bet approx. 2 BB.

I would still bet out at him, raise it up. Not all your chips, but enough to make him think... or make his decision hard enough. Obviously if he has a set he is going to reraise you here. If he reraises... well then you can go ahead and muck your hand. But if he calls, it could get trickier from there. Like I said, reraise. See what he does then. Everything in poker is situational and everything that people do at the table is information, take advantage of it all.

PS: The info I am trying to gain from raising him here is what cards he has. If he reraises, he probably has me beat, muck muck muck. Even if this guy is bluffing with a strong reraise back at you, muck... you can always wait for a better opportunity later.
  • I'm just a newbie here, and still fairly new at the game, but I really like how you worded your reply Dennis. Bet big, but not too big, to make him think...if he reraises, then he's most likely got something and you muck. Throwing away cowboys is tough though, hate doing it, but have done it a couple of times.

Just want to say how much this site has helped me in my games over the past couple of months. I can't read all the posts, but most have great information and techniques. I very much enjoy reading about how you more seasoned guys would handle a hand. Keep up the great job. Thanks.
    :cool:
  • sweetjimmi wrote:
    Flop comes rainbow rags 7 high with the SB betting out a small amount (I think two BB) BB folds and action is to me. My question is what is your play here assuming you have the same read as me?

I must say I don't mind calling here. It will limit the info you get (i.e. your opponent doesn't get the chance to reraise you, thus representing a set and allowing you to get away from it). However, put yourself in his shoes....now he doesn' t have any idea what you've got (probably figures you for overcards or overpair)... so what does he do on the turn? Does it matter if the turn is an overcard? Can you re-take control after the turn? Say the turn is an A or K or even Q....does your opponent lead out with his set or check it to you?
    You may get a free card later for a small investment now.

I say limit your investment - just call. I'm not a big believer in the whole *bet to see where I'm at* in No Limit. If you are behind you are wasting money....just call and he will likely bet out at you on the turn for fear of letting one get away if he has his set. Wait til the turn and let the games begin....and if you really get lucky and hit your set, there is a good chance you will cripple him.

Your dilemma is that you put him on 2 different possible hands...one in which you are in need of a 2-outer (his set - u need a K) and one in which HE is way behind (A x vs your cowboys). So the course of action MUST depend on which one he has...there is no one-size-fits-all action here. You say you didn't like your play based on your read, but if he has A x I think your move in is great...if he wants to try to hit a 2-outer with 2 cards to come for all his chips, that's great. BUt you don't want to give him a free (cheap) option by just calling if he has A x. So, it depends....you've got to go one way or the other - does he have the set or not?