moving money around

I've got accounts set up at a couple of sites. I'm interested in taking advantage of bonus offers at other sites, too. Trouble is, I don't want money sitting around in all these different sites. I'd just as soon keep a nominal amount in each site to keep the accounts open but the bulk of my bankroll at a single site where I'm concentrating on a bonus offer.

What does everyone else do? I had a quick look at NetTeller. Can someone explain to me exactly how it works? Any horror stories? What are the charges? Can you leave money in NetTeller then quickly move it into other sites when you wish? What is the delay? Is it safe?

Your advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Netteller is very convenient. The one complaint I had (and I suspect it will impact many here) is that you have to link your Netteller account to a Canadian funds bank account (even if you have a US funds account).

This means any time you transfer money between your bank account and netteller you will exchange it. Moving money between Netteller and pokersites is not an issue as it is all in US funds.
  • I don't know if this is convenient for you but if you can open an account at a U.S bank...(if you live close to the border) you can link your account to it... saving yourself the exchange rate!
  • Monteroy wrote:
    The one complaint I had (and I suspect it will impact many here) is that you have to link your Netteller account to a Canadian funds bank account (even if you have a US funds account).
    That would cover my initial deposit. Ok, I'll take a bit of a hit on that. Subsequent to that, can I just leave the money in NetTeller?

Say I wanted to have C$500 in play on poker sites. I move that to NetTeller. Maybe that works out to US$400 or so. I move it to site 1. Being the great player I am :D I work that up to US$600 with great play and bonuses. Can I move US$590 back to NetTeller, let it sit for a while then move that to site 2 without worrying about losing any money to exchange or fees? Does NetTeller pay any interest while it holds my funds? Is NetTeller as safe or safer than the big sites?

Do all the sites accept NetTeller? Do all the banks deal with NetTeller?

I want to avoid the back and forth with my bank, losing on exchange both ways and the delays that may be associated with that. I'd also like to know about any fees I might have to pay to move the funds around.

How long does it take to move from my bank to NetTeller? And back? Likewise, how long from NetTeller to the poker sites and back?

Thanks very much for sharing your experience.
  • Is net teller like a bank account?

Do they hold the money?
  • Okay, I'll take a shot at these questions. Disclaimer: These are my experiences only. Yours may differ. :cool:
    pkrfce9 wrote:
    That would cover my initial deposit. Ok, I'll take a bit of a hit on that. Subsequent to that, can I just leave the money in NetTeller?

Yes, you can leave a positive balance in a Neteller account. It's a sort of online wallet.
    Say I wanted to have C$500 in play on poker sites. I move that to NetTeller. Maybe that works out to US$400 or so. I move it to site 1. Being the great player I am :D I work that up to US$600 with great play and bonuses. Can I move US$590 back to NetTeller, let it sit for a while then move that to site 2 without worrying about losing any money to exchange or fees?

Yes, if

1. Your Neteller account is denominated in US funds. (You can choose the denomination.)

2. The poker sites you have in mind are denominated in US funds. (Most are.)

3. The poker sites you are using do not charge fees for Neteller transactions. (Most don't. InterPoker, a Cryptologic site, is the only site I've ever used that charges fees for Neteller transactions.)
    Does NetTeller pay any interest while it holds my funds?

No.
    Is NetTeller as safe or safer than the big sites?

I've never had any problems with either Neteller or the large poker sites. I'd personally consider them equally "safe".
    Do all the sites accept NetTeller?

Most do. All of the sites I've ever played at do.
    Do all the banks deal with NetTeller?

I'm not sure. Probably most of the Canadian banks do.
    How long does it take to move from my bank to NetTeller?

4 or 5 business days.
    And back?

1 or 2 business days.
    Likewise, how long from NetTeller to the poker sites and back?

From Neteller to Poker sites: A few seconds.

From Poker sites to Neteller: Anywhere from a few hours to 1 or 2 business days. Can be longer for some sites, or for your very first Neteller cashout from a particular site.
    Thanks very much for sharing your experience.

No prob. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • To add to Scotty's reply.. also

- The fees are decent. EFT - electronic funds transfer from your neteller to your bank account is free (2 business days usually). A withdrawal to a neteller debit card is $2 to the card, and $2 again per transaction. The card isn't "preloaded" you have to move funds onto it from the account website..then it works in any ATM. $4 in service fees..not bad for having the money in 15 minutes.

- The exchange will get you at times. CDN $ is doing well now..but I think those sites "don't keep up" with exchange rates when it benefits them.

- Whenever I've dealt with their support it's been good.
  • and also to add on:

in my expierence , if u use the Neteller debit card, at a credit union bank then you dont pay the normal atm charge but u still pay the $2 US neteller fee to move money onto the card. but u can use the card at any machine w/ the 'Cirrus' symbol
  • You actually pay $2 per transaction as well,

figured this out when i did the math ahead of time before making the withdrawal..and then got insuff funds messages at the atm. The neteller people said there's a $2 service charge on card transactions as well. So...it'd be $2 to the card..and $2 off the card.

You can use it as any other chequing acct debit card as well. ie.. stores etc.. but why would you with a $2 charge.
  • pkrfce9 wrote:

Say I wanted to have C$500 in play on poker sites. I move that to NetTeller. Maybe that works out to US$400 or so. I move it to site 1. Being the great player I am :D I work that up to US$600 with great play and bonuses. Can I move US$590 back to NetTeller, let it sit for a while then move that to site 2 without worrying about losing any money to exchange or fees? Does NetTeller pay any interest while it holds my funds? Is NetTeller as safe or safer than the big sites?

I do pretty much exactly what you've described, moving from site to site to collect bonuses, and NetTeller has worked very well for me. The fees range from small to nothing, depending on the site, and since I only move the funds between NetTeller and different sites, I don't get hit with any currency exchange issues.

I know several other people that have done the same, and none have had any problems.