pocket kings

here are a couple hands i've had recently with me holding KK. i'd really like to know what i should be doing in this spot. just tell me i'm a moron if i need to hear it. thanks.

hand #1:

Full Tilt Poker Game #19925568830: Table Mach 10 - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:35:35 ET - 2010/04/08
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hero [Kh Ks]
hero calls $0.10 <---i sometimes like to limp UTG with AA or KK hoping to get a raise behind
4 folds
villian 1 calls $0.10
2 folds
villian 2 raises to $0.60
hero calls $0.50 <---got what i wanted and just called. should have re-raised i think.
villian 1 calls $0.50
*** FLOP *** [9s 6s Ts]
villian 2 bets $0.80
hero raises to $2 <---good raise? not enough? big over pair and holding the Ks
villian 1 calls $2
villian 2 raises to $9.85 <---raising enough to put the two of us all in
hero ?

hand #2:

Full Tilt Poker Game #19897132360: Table Mach 10 - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:43:10 ET - 2010/04/07
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hero [Kd Kh]
3 folds
hero raises to $0.30
2 folds
villian raises to $0.50 <---min raise = alarm bells
2 folds
hero calls $0.20 <---wanted to see the flop and dodge a possible Ace
*** FLOP *** [8s 8h 6c]
hero checks <---checking to the raiser. should this be a bet here?
villian bets $1.15 <---$2.30 in the pot now. villian has a little over double that left behind
hero ?

Comments

• probably push on flop in both these situations as I think villian isn't folding anyways.

- #1 - he is prob trying to get you off a flush draw; with an overpair and ks I'm not folding. not worried about the straight.

#2 - re-raise here and again not scared to get money in; don't think he is betting the boat here or raised pre-flop with an 8 (not unless he has quads now but he would slow play it).
  • I dont really get the limp in #1, id raise 4x, anyone who was gonna raise will either call or 3bet you. If you limp and noone raises, what do you do when the flop comes with several limpers? In this case you got the one raiser, but by raising you win the pot or get someone to commit chips.
  • limping with kings is not in my repertoire, I rarely rarely limp, unless for a special case. but hole cards never determine that for me. I don't see stack sizes here but its likely i'd bet an amount that would force v2 to go all in. he'll show aks or jj+ if he calls, and i think he would with that, and maybe worse depending. im a tourney player though so a 6bb bet is usually enough to stack off with a re raise.

But instead you setup a multi way flop. if your heads up vs ak your 70/30, 99 your 80/20, but vs 99 and ak you have the best hand yet your a coin flip to win. again im a tourney player so maybe its different or im just wrong.

more importantly though, you see the flop with no idea what your opp's have, if you raised big and they called you can put them on better hands a large amount of the time.

2nd one is heads up but out of position, my only comment is id take that flop all in every time. check raise is great i think.
  • I want more information

It looks like villain 2 was one of the blinds. I want to know starting stack sizes of hero and villains in each case, I want to know positions in each case.

As played, hand 1 is a collection of mistakes. Hand 2 is bad too. He min-raises so alarm bells go off? At .05/.10? No chance I'm not re-raising there. Let him go 4 bets and THEN consider it, but then slap yourself and put your money in anyways pre.

Mark
  • BiiLLY wrote: »
    I dont really get the limp in #1, id raise 4x, anyone who was gonna raise will either call or 3bet you. If you limp and noone raises, what do you do when the flop comes with several limpers? In this case you got the one raiser, but by raising you win the pot or get someone to commit chips.

yeah i don't normally limp in this position. just something i've tried a handful of time. i sometimes like to limp/re-raise in this position.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I want more information

It looks like villain 2 was one of the blinds. I want to know starting stack sizes of hero and villains in each case, I want to know positions in each case.

As played, hand 1 is a collection of mistakes. Hand 2 is bad too. He min-raises so alarm bells go off? At .05/.10? No chance I'm not re-raising there. Let him go 4 bets and THEN consider it, but then slap yourself and put your money in anyways pre.

Mark

for hand #1:
    villian 2 was in BB and had me covered with about $13.00
    i had around $10 UTG
    villian 1 was in MP with about $6

for hand #2:
    i have around $10 in MP
    villian on the button with around $7-ish
  • You keep saying that you're

"Trying something new - limping and re-raising"... you're not.. you're limp-calling with KK.... bad play, ESPECIALLY when you had a caller after the limp and then a raiser. You NEED to isolate there, calling the raise is just the worst thing you can possibly do.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    You keep saying that you're

"Trying something new - limping and re-raising"... you're not.. you're limp-calling with KK.... bad play, ESPECIALLY when you had a caller after the limp and then a raiser. You NEED to isolate there, calling the raise is just the worst thing you can possibly do.

Mark

yeah i totally agree that i should have re-raised there. not sure why i didn't when i looked back. it was my original plan to limp-reraise though.
  • another thing, in the micros i notice my biggest losses come from when i am calling villains. hand 1, v2's bet of 1/3rd the pot on the flop then insta shove after he gets action makes me think of a set or flush. i cant see them playing AK like this, theyd be calling you down.
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]thanks for a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l[/FONT][FONT=&quot]l the comments guys.
    [/FONT]
  • trigs wrote: »
    here are a couple hands i've had recently with me holding KK. i'd really like to know what i should be doing in this spot. just tell me i'm a moron if i need to hear it. thanks.

hand #1:

Full Tilt Poker Game #19925568830: Table Mach 10 - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:35:35 ET - 2010/04/08
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to hero [Kh Ks]
    hero calls $0.10 <---i sometimes like to limp UTG with AA or KK hoping to get a raise behind
    4 folds
    villian 1 calls $0.10
    2 folds
    villian 2 raises to $0.60
    hero calls $0.50 <---got what i wanted and just called. should have re-raised i think.
    villian 1 calls $0.50
    *** FLOP *** [9s 6s Ts]
    villian 2 bets $0.80
    hero raises to $2 <---good raise? not enough? big over pair and holding the Ks
    villian 1 calls $2
    villian 2 raises to $9.85 <---raising enough to put the two of us all in
    hero ?

hand #2:

Full Tilt Poker Game #19897132360: Table Mach 10 - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:43:10 ET - 2010/04/07
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to hero [Kd Kh]
    3 folds
    hero raises to $0.30
    2 folds
    villian raises to $0.50 <---min raise = alarm bells
    2 folds
    hero calls $0.20 <---wanted to see the flop and dodge a possible Ace
    *** FLOP *** [8s 8h 6c]
    hero checks <---checking to the raiser. should this be a bet here?
    villian bets $1.15 <---$2.30 in the pot now. villian has a little over double that left behind
    hero ?

Hand#1: First of all, you should of reraised preflop after villain 2 raised to $0.60. You have a better chance of winning if you isolate to just you and villain 2. Instead, you did not reraise and let villain 1 to call to see the flop. The flop is pretty dangerous. All spades and a good possibility of someone making a straight or flush(or already made it if either got creative and called with 78 or suited spades). Now you are up against 2 players. One of them probably drawing to something and they would call for the odds. Your chance of winning from this flop is very minimal now as you are against 2 players. One of them have a big chance of holding an Ace of spades with some straight draw. All in all, this is a dangeorus flop for you and if you are committed already, you have to shove allin and hope not to get outdrawn.

Hand#2: You are pretty committed all your chips if you don't think he has AA. Only AA can beat you here because you can not put the guy holding an 8 because he raised.

I raise pre. If I am 3 bet, I 4 bet/jam. Easy game.

As played, I fold the flop. You are not beating much other then 1 pair or a draw. I know we have the Ks here, so that does make a difference, but not enough as we have only 1 nut out (the As) or runner runner/boat.

Hand 2:

I raise pre. I am min 3 bet, have barely 60BB, I 4 bet jam. Easy game.

As played, jam flop. There is too much in the pot to even consider folding here. Yeah, he could have AA there, but it doesn't matter. If he does, nh and reload. If villain does wake up with 78 or 89, well....should've'd 4 bet/jammed pre anyway.