Port Perry CPT....I am so disappointed

I had very high hopes going into this event and I expected to make the final table. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself. I busted out with 3 short handed tables left and I feel so depressed about it.

It was nice to see some poker forum members there, I talked to Deadmoney and Literation.

Here are 2 hands from the tournament that I would like some feedback on.
the first one is from early in the tournament and the second is my bust out hand

1st hand
blinds 200/400
I have 8000 in chips and I am the BB
I am dealt 5s7s
2nd UTG raises to 900 He has close to 7000 in chips
folded to me and I call the extra 500 (looking back this was a very loose call here out of position but at the time it felt right...What do you think?)

FLop is 6s6h7c
I check and he bets 1000
with 2000 in the pot this bet seems funny...based on his early play he isnt afraid to make big bets with a good hand...does he have an over pair and is afraid I might have a 6 or is he betting with overcards?
I decide to call and see what the turn brings
Turn 3s
Nice card for me I have picked up a gut shot straight and a flush draw
I decide I am going to check raise all in if he makes another small bet..if he pushes all in or makes a large bet I will have a tough decision to make but I will probably fold.
I check and he bets 1000 again....my first instinct is to push all in but for some reason I lose my nerve and pause for too long...I dont think I should fold so I just call the 1000
River is the Kd.....CRAP What a bad card... if he was betting with overs he just might have hit the King
Man I really hate the way I played this hand I should have pushed all in on the turn. I check
He pushes all in for close to 3000
Now what...the only hand I can beat is a bluff
If I call and lose I will have approx 1000 left...if I fold I will still have approx 4000 to play with...so I should fold right?
As I count out the chips to call with I am watching him for a reaction. I havnt decided if I will call or not but I want to see how he reacts to my actions. He glares right back at me...he is almost daring me to call with his defiant stare. It is now that I recall a hand from earlier in the tournament when I had raised his BB from the button with a weak Ace. he had reraised me and I called. an ace hit the board he pushed all in on the flop...I had a weak ace and as I was watching him while I decided what to do he was looking away as if not interested in whether I called or not. I had read him as having a very strong hand and folded my weak ace. I did not see his hand and I dont know for sure if folded the best hand but his reaction to that hand was the complete opposite of the current hand. Now he is very interested in my decision. In fact he has not looked away from me once.
Ok so If I made the correct read on the first hand, that he had a strong hand, than this time he must have a weak hand.
So I call the 3000
He has A Q for Ace high
And I win with a pair of 7s
the whole table gasps at my call...( or at the pathetic way I played this hand)

Any thoughts?

hand # 2

blinds are 1500-3000
I have 18 000 in chips Avg stack is 20 000
we are 7 handed and I am 2nd UTG
I look down at A J and move all in
a player behind me calls with AK
I dont improve and am busted out
Since I had close to an avg stack should I have waited for a better hand than Aj too put all my chips in with?

Comments

• Hand #1: You're right your play was a bit off, pushing all-in seemed like the better option on the turn. But you made a great move by watching the guy and seeing the classic showing strength (the glare, the agressive move) for exactly what it was, weakness.

hand #2 Tough spot with the blinds being so high. a standard raise puts half your chips in the pot. I would usually prefer a pp, but really you could have done a lot worse than AJ, the main problem is playing shorthanded the blinds would come through so quickly that you don't have to much time.
  • Hand #1: Excellent read but you are very lucky! You need to make your play on the turn...no question. Everthing else about the way you played the hand I like but you need to pull the trigger on the turn!!!

Hand #2: Comes down whether you looking to top three or climb the scale. I woulda pushed without much thought ... unless I noticed that guy next you acting strong. AJ is about as good as you can usually hope for with 6BB left.

Side note don't beat yourself up about not making the final table. When a structure is set-up the avg stack is only 6.3 BB you can only hope for the best! I guess my question is to Dave now but I will ask in the "Ask Dave" section...I'm thinking that the CPT could standardize the blind structure for Major events or at least approve them.

Congrats on your finish? Did you money? How many entrants were there?
  • Hand 1

Not sure I would have even let it go too 4th street and check raised him a sizeable amount. As this game is you have to win 1 or 2 coin flips to get to the final table. I would count this a the first.

Hand 2

Having AJ in early position is a tough one. I have busted out of the of this same tournament twice with this hand. Once in early position and once in middle position and both times called with AK by others. I would reserve this hand for a late position raise or all in. By the way the only other hand I hate playing more that this in early position is QQ. I always find a way to loose with this hand.

sweetjimmi:

There are 88 entrants in this tournament and only the top 9 pay.