River Rock - An Update?

Been lurking for a while ... great forum ..... Signal to noise ratio is way better than most poker forums these days ... and it's wholly Canadian. Gotta love that!!

I've searched the whole forum, and read all postings containing 'River Rock' and found some interesting info there regarding the new card room, games and tournies out at the River Rock (RR) in Richmond-BC.

I have a few RR-related Hold'Em questions (I know some have been addressed before; I am only asking again because the answer might have changed in say that last 6 months):

[1] What is the texture of the $4-8 at RR? Loose/Tight/Passive/Agresssive? Minimum Buyin? Recommended Buy-in?

[2] Do they have $2-4 tables, and if so, same question for the $2-4 tables? Minimum Buy-in? Recommended Buy-in? (I'm assuming they don't have $1-3 tables?)

[3] The NL game at RR is $3-6 with a $200 minimum buy-in. Some posts say that the game is pretty "wild"? Could those of you who've played it a fair amount comment any further on the games? On avg. how many people see the flop? Can you comment on the pot sizes? How tight/loose/agressive/passive are the games? What's the general quality of the competition? Lot's of pre-flop betting? Is there a maximum buy-in?

[4] Does anybody have an update on the tournaments being run out there? General comments? Blinds and buy-ins? Payment schedules? Are they still twice per week (Weds and Sundays I think?)? Are they still crazy busy? Do they have their @#$% together yet wrt to same-day-registration etc, dealer knowledge and know-how?

[5] Last but not least .. can anyone explain the rake, and bad-beat jackpot funding structures?

Any feedback to some or all of these questions would of course be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Welcome to the forum!

1: The 4-8 game is pretty loose, and not overly aggressive when i've played it i've always bought in with about 150-160.

2: Yup, they have 2-4 tables, Most people look like they buyin between 40-100, i believe $40 is the minimum.

3: I've played the NL game about 5 times, the minimum buyin is $100 and $200 was the max. It was a pretty aggressive game the times i've played, but you can figure out who the good players are pretty quickly.

4: I played the $50 + 10 rebuy tournament last night and it was fairly well run. It still sold out but I believe they had spots open until about 3:30 or so ( started at 4:15). You begin the tournament with 1500 chips and can rebuy anytime in the first 3 rounds when you are at 1000 or less. Rounds last 15 minutes.. so the blinds go up *VERY FAST*. When I got knocked out blinds were 2000/4000 with a 400 ante.. and i believe the big stack at the table had *at MOST* 55K.
  • IIRC.. on the 2/4 the rake caps at $3, + 1 for bad beat jackpot.

They're trying to bend some BCLC regulations to get the "Ben Affleck" 5-10 NL game going regularly.
  • the 'Ben Affleck' game was 10/20 NL, not 5-10 :)

anyways, i play the NL game a lot and yes its crazy wild most of the time...sometimes it'll be tighter, but not usually....there is usually at least one big time gambler, who will raise or go all-in with complete garbage...

there are usually a lot of people seeing the flop as well...raise size doesn't even seem to matter a lot either...if someone open raises to $40, and the guy to his immediate left calls, then more people will decide to call just because its going to be a big pot...

i just got back from my first trip to Vegas, and the Vegas games are a lot more passive and somewhat tighter....for instance, i played in a $100 buy-in game with 2-5 blinds, and a raise to 25 with 2 limpers would get folded around.....another example, people limped with big pairs *constantly* regardless of position, and then played extremely passive the rest of the way; this is a rarity at riverrock.....so i would suggest having a slightly bigger bankroll for the RiverRock game because the swings are going to be bigger