rush poker hand - pocket 8s

i think playing low to middle pairs is one of my weaknesses. please analyze this hand for me because i was honestly confused as to what to do.

Full Tilt Poker Game #19254060222: Table Mach 10 - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:07:55 ET - 2010/03/14
Seat 6: Villian ($4.72)
Seat 9: Hero ($12.49)
Hero posts the small blind of $0.05
xxxxx posts the big blind of $0.10
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [8h 8s]
4 folds
Villian raises to $0.30
2 folds
Hero calls $0.25 <---standard call i think in SB
1 fold
*** FLOP *** [3s 4d 7h] <---overpair to the flop
Hero bets $0.40 <---so i decide to bet out
Villian raises to $0.80 <---could just be assuming i'm stealing
Hero calls $0.40 <---so i call. should this be a reraise here?
*** TURN *** [3s 4d 7h] [Jh]
Hero checks <---good slow down? bad?
Villian bets $0.90 <---bet/raised every time now
Hero folds <---so i muck
Uncalled bet of $0.90 returned to Villan
Villian mucks
Villian wins the pot ($2.15)

how would you have played this hand. again, it's rush so i don't really have a read on the guy.

Comments

• Calling a MP raise with medium pockets is okay, especially since his stack indicates that you have implied odds later in the hand. However, a 3bet here is also an option. If he 4xbet you preflop, you could easily fold the hand w/o seeing a flop.

Overpair to the flop, a cbet here is called for. His minraise however should be flagging something...he either has a better overpair, or has hit a set. I find that a good portion of the time when you get raised here, you're beat. Since its a min raise though, I don't mind calling it, with the plan to c/f on any turn that doesn't fit my hand.

Good fold imo.
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Calling a MP raise with medium pockets is okay, especially since his stack indicates that you have implied odds later in the hand. However, a 3bet here is also an option. If he 4xbet you preflop, you could easily fold the hand w/o seeing a flop.

Overpair to the flop, a cbet here is called for. His minraise however should be flagging something...he either has a better overpair, or has hit a set. I find that a good portion of the time when you get raised here, you're beat. Since its a min raise though, I don't mind calling it, with the plan to c/f on any turn that doesn't fit my hand.

Good fold imo.

you're right. i probably should be considering 3betting the preflop here more often.

yeah, the min bet did throw up flags. i honestly hate min bets from opponents.
  • trigs wrote: »
    yeah, the min bet did throw up flags. i honestly hate min bets from opponents.

I'm learning to love them personally. Looking at my own stats, when I get min raised, its usually a good sign I'm beaten. Learning to fold to them more often, but again, its totally opponent dependant.
  • i fxilaijing hate min raises sooo much
    I don't like calling the flop. Either you're you think you're ahead or you think you're behind. I prefer 3bet or fold. If you 3bet you have to call his all in, as you'll be betting half his stack and you'll get great odds to continue, but if you fold you could be folding the best hand.

oop in these spots I much prefer to c/r the flop. He's going to cbet that flop so often that it's worth scoring an extra bet. If he shoves to your c/r you know you're beat. It's hard for an opponent to shove your c/r with air. Often by doing so you save yourself money instead of 3betting the flop.