How Much Would You Bet? Would you bet at all?

Here is the scoop.

Playing $1-2 NL.

One off the button, I am dealt AA and I make it $20 to go.

I have 3 callers and the flop is 7s Ad 2s.

It's checked to you, how much do you bet or do you bet?

I will hold off on what I did til I get some responses.

Comments

• Here is the scoop.

Playing $1-2 NL.

One off the button, I am dealt AA and I make it $20 to go.

I have 3 callers and the flop is 7s Ad 2s.

It's checked to you, how much do you bet or do you bet?

I will hold off on what I did til I get some responses.

Depends on the stack sizes
  • As Reef says, depends somewhat on stack sizes, but in general I bet about 1/2 pot, on a continuation, looking like a feeler bet... I realize that this opens up the flush draw but meh, you can't just push everyone off if you want to make money. Assuming a caller and no flush on turn, I'm then hitting it with a 3/4 pot bet.
  • You certainly should lead out here, if only to make FD's pay to see the turn. Not sure if 1/2psb will be enough, so I would go maybe 3/4psb personally. On the turn, even with a flush making it and considering stacks, I would likely push almost anything.
  • Not going 1/2 pot to price out flush draws, well aware of the be cautious if flush pot hits on turn situation, however I'm trying to look weak and get someone to push here. This really depends on effective stack sizes to make a proper decision. I know some ppl who will put me on the flush draw here and perhaps misread and push flop..... Happened just recentley in fact, I didn't have AA but did have top set of 10's, similar situation.
  • Depends on the stack sizes

2 guys had 150-200 behind, 1 guy 500, I had 400
  • 2 guys had 150-200 behind, 1 guy 500, I had 400

is this after the flop or preflop? (i'm assuming after flop and i'm assuming you're acting last since it was checked around to you)

i'd bet out 3/4 pot. if spade hits on turn i re-evaluate. if no spade i might be inclined to push it all in on the turn since i don't want flush draws to get a free card and busted flushes aren't calling any river bets anyway (pot is big enough imo to take it down here - with 1 flop caller of your 60 bet the pot is around 200 and you have 340 behind - more than 1 caller i'm for sure pushing it all in).

if someone is slowplaying a lower set you're probably felting them here. and AK-AJ would have probably bet the flop i'd imagine so you can probably eliminate those hands. any other holdings are folding on your flop bet most likely.

some might think that that's too aggressive but i don't like to fool around too much when the pot is more than half my stack. also, you'd be surprised at how many crappy hands will call your overbets thinking you're just trying to push them off the hand (i.e. if AK did check/call the flop i wouldn't be surprised if they called your all in turn push). and finally, i think it is an often (not always) unspoken misunderstanding that you should try to take a big hand to the river. i personally am happy with the win on any street.
  • Is this live?
  • I'd bet 1/2 to 2/3 here....flush draw may try and make a move, case ace out there might think hes good as well, AK maybe AQ.
  • only had a fast read of the posts. I tend to agree with Compuease, its a possible action pot. Bet enough to keep the draws in and then bet enough if they dont hit to get them out b4 the river card. Yes its kinda a slowish play with trip aces but its a cash game and this is a pot you want to see to make some money on. IMO
  • 2 guys had 150-200 behind, 1 guy 500, I had 400

What positions are the callers/stacks in?

What do you know about the players?

What's your table image?

What do the other players think about you?

Is this live?

Do you have a HUD/online stats on the players?

Are there any recent significant hands?

Have you shown down AA before/recently? What did you do that time?
  • Thanks guys.

I decided to make a pot sized bet here.

pushed everyone off, including the guy with the flush draw.

I wanted to make em pay to see a card.

However, I like the advice I have been given and will def put this into use in the future.
  • What positions are the callers/stacks in?

What do you know about the players?

What's your table image?

What do the other players think about you?

Is this live?

Do you have a HUD/online stats on the players?

Are there any recent significant hands?

Have you shown down AA before/recently? What did you do that time?

It was live.

Image, agressive, but tight.

Bet trips the same way a little earlier on.

But remember, asking what YOU would do.

I play aces differently, depending on the situation. If it's a loose table, I may limp then come over the top. I may raise more or less depending on what's going on. If I am short stacked I will simply pus

I'm not looking for the perfect answer, just what you guys do, or consider doing so I have stuff to think about.
  • I check.

The ONLY hands to play you here is a lower set, in which case it doesn't matter what you do, 2pair which is incredibly unlikely (whose calling with 72? A7 and A2 are very unlikely as you know where 3 aces are), and Flush draws. I think its worth risking a free card since the only hand to give you any action here is a fd, and someone might catch a draw or a K and think his KQ is good.
    More likely someone may attack what they think is weakness on the turn, in which case you'll win an extra bet.
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    I check.

The ONLY hands to play you here is a lower set, in which case it doesn't matter what you do, 2pair which is incredibly unlikely (whose calling with 72? A7 and A2 are very unlikely as you know where 3 aces are), and Flush draws. I think its worth risking a free card since the only hand to give you any action here is a fd, and someone might catch a draw or a K and think his KQ is good.
    More likely someone may attack what they think is weakness on the turn, in which case you'll win an extra bet.

I knew the table, and had a feeling any pocket pairs or high suited cards have called.

I was correct, the guy had QJ s
  • I knew the table, and had a feeling any pocket pairs or high suited cards have called.

I was correct, the guy had QJ s

you're not correct, the guy folded.

How does a high PP call here? Even the loosest donk wouldn't call a bet on the flop oop in hopes you didn't have an A. A high pp may lead out the turn facing weakness, however.
    PP cant be that high either as no one 3bet
  • I check, I don't like getting lots of folds in this spot
  • syphilaids wrote: »
    you're not correct, the guy folded.

How does a high PP call here? Even the loosest donk wouldn't call a bet on the flop oop in hopes you didn't have an A. A high pp may lead out the turn facing weakness, however.
    PP cant be that high either as no one 3bet

Can you please explain this further, this may make me look silly but I really want to know.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I check, I don't like getting lots of folds in this spot

Why is that?

The last time I checked my set of Aces, I was stacked by pocket 2's, this is why I bet my hand, I'm not saying this is the correct or optimum move, just telling you where I am coming from.
  • Why is that?

The last time I checked my set of Aces, I was stacked by pocket 2's, this is why I bet my hand, I'm not saying this is the correct or optimum move, just telling you where I am coming from.

I check too unless I'm at an ultra aggressive table.

I would also advise not to remember getting stacked by quad 2's as a factor in making a betting decision.
  • I check too unless I'm at an ultra aggressive table.

I would also advise not to remember getting stacked by quad 2's as a factor in making a betting decision.

It wasn't quad twos, it was 2's full of A's
  • It wasn't quad twos, it was 2's full of A's

Then you didn't have a set of aces.
  • Then you didn't have a set of aces.

I meant the other way around, sorry, my bad.
  • Why is that?

Sorry about not writing sooner. I don't really get your reply here. Did you get your set of aces stacked by quad 2's or something?

Either way you can't play scared poker. If you feel like your reversed implied odds are too great you should range him up and proceed extremely carefully if the third flushcard hits but most of the time your opponents aren't even gonna have a draw here.

You just have to learn to love hard turn and river decisions IMO ^^'
  • Can you please explain this further, this may make me look silly but I really want to know.

you said that you knew the table and that big suited connectors would have called here, that's what justified your bet.

Then you said you were correct cause he had QJs

But QJs folded to your pot sized bet, so that doesn't make you correct.

If you put a guy on a FD, you should bet enough to deny him odds but not enough to get him to fold. a 3/5 - 2/3 would be a good size if you KNEW someone had spades. You really, really want a caller here to make any kind of money. The great thing here is if a spade comes on the turn, more likely then not lagtards slow play. You can take the free card and hope to pair the board on the river and take his whole stack. And even if the board doesn't pair, you can call down and lose the minimum. This is why I love this hand. You can win a lot and lose a little.