Weight of JJ or QQ

Here is the situation:

Playing in a NL holdem B & M tournament. It is the final table and I am the short stack and the next out is the buble.

UTG I look down at JJ. What do I do. I have enough for 2 or 3 circuits around the table.

To cut to the chase, I went all in. Everyone folded. I feel in hind sight I should not have done this. I could have been the end if someone wanted to gamble.

Six hands later, I look down at QQ in late position. Again all in. This time the button calls me with AQ and hits the flop. I am out

Would there have been a better to raise and see the flop?

All opions are welcome

Comments

• All-in both times. Theres no flop with QQ that doesnt have you pushing all your chips in at the end. Push and you setup for another blind steal down the road or get a skeptic to call you when you have the goods.
  • JJ under the gun is a bit risky but you only had about 3xBB so you had to take a shot. This was a good bet to be your best one. It worked out for you.

QQ in late position is an excellent bet. I'm guessing you might have been at 4xBB. I'm sure the button thought you were doing 'another' steal attempt and liked his chances with AQ, which on its own is a very good hand. You got your chips in there with a better hand but weren't lucky. Don't beat yourself up over this one.

What else could you have done? Limping would't have scared him out. Would you have dropped the hand on the flop? Do you think limping then automatically going all-in on the flop would have worked? I'm guessing the button would have pushed you all-in pre-flop anyway so you are better off to be the one to get their first. Going to 2xBB wouldn't have scared him out and wouldn't have left you with enough chips to scare him out anyway.

I'm curious if you showed the JJ earlier? If not, maybe it would convince people not to call you when you go all-in. That's a topic for another thread...
  • Come to think of it, I didn't show.

If I did show, I really don't think it would have made a difference. The button was a middle stack and only calling about 20 -30 % of his chips.

I would think at that stage, I would have made the call myself.
  • push in with both. With J-J hope you don't get called, but don't hate it if you do. With Q-Q hope that someone thinks you're stealing and calls with A-9o.

And... clean living. Clean living always helps. The poker gods favour clean living.

• And... clean living. Clean living always helps. The poker gods favour clean living.

that's cause the gods can work without the hookers and booze, but for poker players ... well that's a different story
  • push in with both. With J-J hope you don't get called, but don't hate it if you do. With Q-Q hope that someone thinks you're stealing and calls with A-9o.

And... clean living. Clean living always helps. The poker gods favour clean living.

Funny you should say that Dave,

Yesterdays CPT tounament, just before the third break, look down at QQ and over bet the pot by 5 BBs. Button calls me with A 5 spades. Flop comes all spades with the highest being a 10. My tounament is over

I think an all in would have worked to make everyone fold. (15BBs)

I really have to work on that clean living part!