600$ on party million guarantee

222k for first. 2700plus people. come 100th or 101 cant recall now. I wait 4 hours for a hand, play perfect poker, finally get AA go all in with my 15k in chips lose to KQo.

Do all poker players enjoy selftorture as much as me?

WHWYHWYHWYHWYHWYHWYHWYHWYHWYWHWYWHWYHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWYWHWY

im done now. bye.
hg

Comments

• Harth I know what you mean, I just came 10th twice in the same day where top 9 get WPT Sat. seats. And I got knocked out of the 11r when my straigtht flush lost to a higher one. Beat that!
  • I only blew 1/3 of my stack in the WPT stars saturday qualifer with the standard AK, in a typical monkey man play. Cold cards, and trying to make soemthing happen, I flamed out early.

I think this is more than comiserating, as it's an important part of the process of getting to the top-tier (no disrespect intended). Here's the question I keep asking myself, "would a top-tier player ended up in the same spot?". And after all, I want to beat the top players so I think "what can I do that's smarter than the top tier players?"

I'm not thinking of how to play a particular hand, but rather how would a top-tier player play through their play. On my Saturday tourney, after my monkey man play, I was left with about 1600 chips. It was roughly the same as Pickled Egg (rumoured to be Harrington). I blew parts of my stack on ill-advised bluffs, and "flyiers". He tightened up, and went out with guns a blazing on a single hand. The big difference was that I pissed away my chips and he had a much better chance of success, not only on the one hand, but also winning enough chips to be a contender. So, I spotted another leak in my game.

Just some thoughts. And, I was really down on myself during the weekend. Did my usual self-desctrive behavour -- this time I tried some 30/60 only about 6 times my normal limit, and pissed away about 10BB. Glad I got it out of my system.

Now that I know that other really good players are having a tough time in these big tournies, I'm not as down as I was. I feel like I'm in good company!!
  • While we're on the topic, I really messed up deep in Sunday's $215. I slowplayed a flopped set and let a flush catch up to me, knocking me from around 20th to around 120th of the remaining 240 or so. Then I WAAAAAAAAAY over-valued my pocket pair of eights, thinking the big stack was trying to bully me. He had pocket kings. IGHN.

On the bright side, I was more aggressive than I've ever been with steals and re-steals. I called a raise in the BB with 95o, planning to take it on the turn with nada, which I did. At another point, I came over the top for all of my chips from the BB against what looked like a blind steal. I had J3o, and he folded. So, I am adding more aggression to my game (which I felt I needed to do) and now I need to find a middle ground, so I don't go all nuts with pocket eights.

I could have made it DEEP in yesterday's tournament, and the reasons I didn't are nobody's fault but mine. Believe it or not, there is some comfort in that.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    .....So, I am adding more aggression to my game (which I felt I needed to do) and now I need to find a middle ground, so I don't go all nuts with pocket eights.
    Regards,
    all_aces

I find it interesting that you would feel that you need more aggression. From what I've read, I believe you had a very strong heads up game (well I assume you still have it in you, but it sounds like you've dropped the game). Heads up is where I learned to channel my overlly aggressive tendancies into smart aggression. Just wondering why that aggression hasn't translated into your tournament game?

Oddly enough, I'm personally suffering from the opposite, where I'm trying to tone down my aggression. It hasn't been a smooth learning experience, but I'm getting there. Being more aggressive usually kept me out of AK connundrums. But knowing how to play either side of the coin is best.

Cheers
    Magi
  • well i was wondering what happened all_aces. i was watching you play, you go on this insane tear and then i come back after 20 minutes to look in and you had busted.
  • How'd you find the 'quote' button!?! To answer your question, Magi, I've been finding myself finishing 'just inside' or 'just outside' of the money in tournaments lately, which spelled out to me that I'm being overly cautious at times when I should be taking significant risks to build my stack to a reasonable (top 3 finish) size.

It's a little easier to be aggressive in a limit game, particularly when you are used to playing shorthanded 25/50 poker, and some of your opponents are not. (I don't know that for a fact, but it seemed that way). In tournaments, I've had great success playing a more conservative style of game, but it's become clear to me that doesn't necessarily mean conservative is the 'best' way to play. As always, it comes down to your table draw and your opponents, so I guess the bottom line is that I'm

a) putting more effort into determining who I can take advantage of at a table, and
    b) acting more strongly on those determinations.

As you say, knowing how to play either side of the coin is best--also known as changing gears. Yesterday I failed to change gears, and it ended my tournament. Arg arg arg.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • magithighs wrote:
    with the standard AK, in a typical monkey man play. Cold cards, and trying to make something happen, I flamed out early.

I hear that. Those wpt sats are pizzin me off too. lol Making it that far into it, 3-4 hours, and then bupkiss. lol
  • Funny, I was watching the hand when you slowplayed the set and got trounced, and just a few minutes ago I'm cruising along in a tournament when I flop the nut straight on a rainbow board. I slowplay, and even when a second diamond comes on the turn I only make a small raise, not enough to get him off a draw. Needless to say diamond #3 comes on the river, he makes a more sizable bet into me and I think "just call he might have gotten lucky but you'll still have a playable stack", but monkey man says "All in you've got him, only all aces could be so unlucky", and that was the end of that tournament.
  • didnt realize u did so wellaces,GJ. I noticed u also placed in a tourney today.
    I came 6th in stars rebuy last nite, so lame... flopped a pair lost to two outer on turn. CRAZY rebuy. likely around 150 rebuys from my table alone. at LEAST. Funny, im at the bellagio playin small tourneys from my room.

Anyone here tried the steps tourneys on party? i started at 1 and made it to three very easily, im about to play step three which i will very easily parlay into step four. They are a good tourny for value wowo.

later
    hg
  • step three was easy

final 7 dragged on for a while, but it was np in the end. I see in step 4half the people get into the 1k tourney. the 1k tourney has 9k for first. Top 4 win money in it. So far i have invested 12$ in this thing. i will have no problem makin it into step 5.. then the 9k cometh forth.
    value mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    buhbye
  • I've found the same, up until step 4. At that point the players become much more risk-averse and it's really hard to build a stack going into the top ten. Everyone seems to have relatively the same size stacks with about 12 players to go, and it starts to become a crapshoot. I got to step 4 twice (quite easily) and then bubbled out back to step 1!!! I may try it again, but didn't feel it was good value for the time comittment. Let us know how you do on Step 4.

Cheers
    Magi