Addition to the wolf pack..

13»

Comments

• I never did see you post anything about my suggestion the other day to try ignoring her when you get home. This was in effort to get her to relax and settle before you take her out for her walk. Did you give it a shot?

I have been trying this, she's had a few little accidents but for the most part splitting her excitement over my coming home and my playing with her has been working really well. She's getting much better at this and saving the 'excitement pee' for bigger events.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    I have been trying this, she's had a few little accidents but for the most part splitting her excitement over my coming home and my playing with her has been working really well. She's getting much better at this and saving the 'excitement pee' for bigger events.

Really good to hear Kristy. I think as her body matures and she grows, there's a likelihood some day she'll completely get over this (the peeing part). As someone else said previously, some dogs don't ever completely grow out of it. Owning dogs is why I'll never, ever have carpet in a house again.
  • And I land in this thread again.

DSCF1320.jpg
  • What a cutie!!!!!

Name please?

EDIT: Ace is the name.
  • He looks soooooo cute. How is Queenie taking to the new addition?
  • Milo wrote: »
    He looks soooooo cute. How is Queenie taking to the new addition?

haha...Ace and Queenie.
  • Oh. My. God.

What a punim!!
  • Queenie is guardedly hesitant. She hasn't snapped at him or put her ruff up though which is a great sign. He actually backs away from her a bit when she approaches which is also good as he's showing her some respect. Signs are both positive at this point.

There were more available when we picked him up Tammi:
    Acesfamily.jpg
  • Now that Johnnie and I have helped with the naming, when do we get to meet him?

Just saw the pic . . . so much want . . . also, punim?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Now that Johnnie and I have helped with the naming, when do we get to meet him?

Just saw the pic . . . so much want . . . also, punim?

Road trip to Kincardine!
  • I'll bring cards if you bring chips . . .
  • I'm feeling occupied. Where's Darb? He can justify this!
  • What do we want?

PUPPIES !!!

When do we want 'em?

SOON !!!

What'll we do if we don't get our way?

TELL MOMMY !!!
  • punim...Yiddish word for "cute face."

Yes, I googled it.
  • Yep, wife just did so as well. It was intriguing for some reason.

Very different variations on the usage though. Can be scowly and otherwise.
  • Queenie is guardedly hesitant. She hasn't snapped at him or put her ruff up though which is a great sign. He actually backs away from her a bit when she approaches which is also good as he's showing her some respect. Signs are both positive at this point.

There were more available when we picked him up Tammi:
    Acesfamily.jpg

I'm actually dying from the cuteness...

Yes, punim, yiddish for, in this case most definitely, cute face.

If we could afford a second dog and if I was certain my two cats wouldn't keel over from pissed-offedness (they are fine with our standard poodle mostly because of his demeanour), we might consider it...
  • Might be what you need to keep the kitties in line, Tammi . . . just sayin'

Only took a few months for the wife and I to discover that we are not "dog folks". Much as I love them, I will not own one right now, maybe not ever.
  • It's so fluffy I think I'm gonna die!
  • So, per request of Kristy (who always gets what she wants), here's a trip report of our newest member of the pack....Queenie.

dogpics041.jpg

No, we didn't pick the name, and no we're not going to change it.

She's from a rescue near Owen Sound. First year of her life, basically no human contact. She lived in a pen outside with her dominant sister. Queenie basically got what scraps her sister left for her and not much else. They eventually escaped and ended up at the rescue. Queenie lived at the rescue for 1.5yrs. until yesterday when we took her home. Her sister got adopted out quite a while back, thus taking away the only stability in life Queenie ever had. Queenie got adopted out at one point for 3 days. Returned on 4th day. Adopter spent every waking hour with her for 3 days, went out for groceries (1/2hr), didn't crate her, came home to no curtains, destroyed lots of other stuff. Adopters fault, not Queenie's.

So, she's mentally incredibly unstable. Massive separation anxiety. Absolutely terrified of everything. Moving from the country to the massive metropolitan behemoth known as Kincardine freaks her out. Seeing people walking towards her on the sidewalk makes her lie down and shake. Someone turns on their porch lights, she jumps. Car door closes, she jumps. Thankfully no aggression issues, and hasn't displayed fear aggression at this point. Unlikely to do so in my opinion.

Got her to the house, met big Bob (our other dog) outside first, brought them both in. She explored a bit and eventually spent the evening in her crate observing everything going on (you know, the hot sex, snorting blow off each others nipples, the regular stuff guys and their girlfriends do in smalltown Ontario).

Today she's spending most of the time out of her kennel. She knows Bob is alpha, twice her size and is staying the hell out of his way. In pack order, she's on the absolute bottom. She's bonding well with both the gf and myself. She's decided that her favourite spot is hiding beside me in the office beside my desk.

I'm quite sure this is going to be one of the biggest challenges in dog ownership I've ever taken on. She's mentally very seriously fucked up. But, I like challenges like this and didn't want to see her spend her life in a rescue in what was the closest thing to an old style prison cell I've seen in a long time.

So, there ya go Kristy. Pretty long tr and I'm sorry for that (not really). Probably could have gone on longer. Didn't want to see the tldr's.
    Ya know, nothing shocks you out of a nice deep sleep like the sound of two dogs fighting at the foot of your bed. Nothing serious, just alot of noise, screaming at each other over god only knows what.

I actually impressed myself in terms of my ability to get to them, stand over them and yell "STOP" within about 1/4 of a second! GF was impressed at my speed and agility! Both retreated to their respective corners of the room, although the little girl did try and climb over my head to get up on the bed for safety. Of course that can't happen. She lives life on life's terms and that's the floor. That's why she's got feet.

Anyhoo, they're figuring out pack order and that's a good thing. She's unstable and my opinion is that Bob is treating her like shit because she's the weak link in our chain. That's not his option, it's mine and he will learn that over time. Nature is never kind to the sick, weak or unstable. She'll gain confidence over time and stability will increase when she learns the routine.

Both of us are having a tough time right now because we can't give her any affection until she becomes stable. She's very cute, but you can't reinforce her insecurities by praising her and babying her right now. That will come later when she's more situated.

Anyhoo, I'm just using this thread as a sort of dog blog. If people read it, great. If not, great. Any comments, questions, suggestions are welcome.
    Yes, at some point I will completely embarrass myself by putting a picture of myself on the internet wearing that shirt with Queenie.

Walking her with Bob often will ultimately be the best thing for her in terms of gaining confidence. The more new things (cars, doors closing, other people, other dogs, etc.) she experiences in a positive way will help her gain confidence. Praising her (eventually, not now), when she deals with situations appropriately and positively will also accomplish this.

Taking her to a puppy class will also help her. She has ZERO skills in terms of understanding commands. Despite the fact she's 2.5yrs. old, she is realistically at the same level as a puppy. She doesn't know 'sit', 'come' or any of the basics. What she knows is how to survive. Find the alpha guy (or girl) in the room and stick to him like glue. That is safe, and that's what she does at this point.

Kristy, I can't recommend anything better than taking Larry to an obedience class appropriate for her age group. I made lots of mistakes with Bob, and topped it off by not doing this until he was 5. Best investment in him I've ever made. He learned little, I learned lots. That's what those classes are for.

Larry on the bed: I did manage to do this with Bob when I got him. It wasn't the smartest idea, but in the end it worked out well. I don't think we can allow this anymore with Queenie in the picture though. They are both dogs and have to be treated the same way. The floor is where they live. Bob was always allowed on the bed. The couch is/was mine. He tries to get on the couch, kick him the fuck off (not literally). Quickly and decisively.

Allowing Larry on the bed can potentially backfire horribly. Messes up pack order. The bed is where you sleep and you are the leader, but if you let her up there...you're telling her she's on par with you. I've heard of many situations where people actually ended up sleeping on couches because their dogs took over and owned the bed. You try and go to bed and they growl and bare teeth. You taught them this was ok by confusing the leadership role. When dogs don't know who the leader is, they take over. Someone has to or the pack crashes. Dogs don't want to lead. Too much stress and decisions. You live in a human world with human situations. You make dogs make human decisions and you'll quickly figure out you live in a disaster if things go wrong.

Short answer (too late, already gave long answer): No dog trainer will tell you it's a good idea to let Larry on the bed. I know lots of dog trainers who secretly don't follow their own rules and do this though. They are aware of the potential consequences and deal with them as they arise. If you are prepared to deal with the potential consequences, know your dog well and she knows you're her leader...it's up to you. You're gambling.

Wow, I'm feeling 'typey' today. Thank you grade nine typing.

Quoted for the wonderful memory. Hope you don't mind, Bill. Use your Mod powers if you do, and accept my apologies.
  • Not a problem at all Milo. She was so young in that picture. Still miss her every day.